Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brand new and entirely uneducated

Hi!
    I have been enticed by these machines for a couple of years now. I am thinking about buying myself a Spyder as my "I Survived My Second Round of Chemo" gift to myself.
    At this point, I don't know enough to know what I dont know. I'll be hanging around here, checking things out, and will probably have lots of stupid questions, so please bear with me!

Some may know me from the gl1800riders.com forum. My husband and I just replaced a silver '02 goldwing with a yellow 2010 wing. We will still be riding that together, but the Spyder will be mine. Good to see a couple of names I recognize in the members list!

Becky

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

You will find all the info you are looking for here . Lots of technical plus lots of inspirational . AND no question will sound silly or dumb ... But it often can start an interesting discussion

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the zoo.

Congrads on being a cancer surviver and no such thing as a stupid question.

ASK AWAY

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the welcome, gentlemen!
    First question: I really want the bags, in case I want to take our grandkids for a ride. I just think they would feel more comfortable and secure. If I find a really good deal on a sport model, can the bags be added aftermarket?
    Last edited by QueenB; 05-28-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

to the party. And--no such thing as a dumb question.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-28-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and on your chemo progress.

I've owned two RTs and now an F3T, so I got side bags in the bargain. But I've seen RSs and STs with bags added on. If you're looking for security for your little passengers, I'd recommend the RT model.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Test drives are Like Pictures- But there worth 10,000 words?
    GS/RS - ST- RT- F3 ??? Test drive as many as you can at different dealers if One doesn't have a demo for each.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QueenB View Post
    I really want the bags, in case I want to take our grandkids for a ride. I just think there feel more comfortable and secure. If I find a really good deal on a sport model, can the bags be added aftermarket?
    What do you mean by "sport model"? My suggestion would be to consider a '14 or newer RTS or RT Limited. Some of these have been traded in on the F3s.Do your homewok on your dealer choice. There are many Michigan SpyderLovers who will chime in on this subject for you.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Givi bags

First question: I really want the bags, in case I want to take our grandkids for a ride. I just think they would feel more comfortable and secure. If I find a really good deal on a sport model, can the bags be added aftermarket?
    I have Givi colour matched bags ( black and Silver) on my 2008 GS . They are removable with a key in less than a minute BUT ... My wife likes them to be on when she rides with me because she feels safer with them there . There are many options out there

Spyder Garage

Lot's of good folks here. I just sent a reply to your PM and realized you're not the gal from the Valk board but my Wing board. Either way it's good to have you here and glad to here the good news on your health.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WELCOME, Becky, from a fellow female MI rider! Congrats on your health status, and may you continue to recover fully and fast!

I bought my RT this winter because I loved all the cargo room, which included the possibilities that the passenger seat offered (strapping large pkgs to it, bringing along a pet, etc). I also liked the leg position - more vertical than the others. The RT is built for long-ride comfort, which I have yet to do with mine, but even though I've so far stuck close to home, I'm very glad that I chose the RT because I use it for shopping (there's your cargo!) and basic transportation - pretty much everything that doesn't require my truck. But, as others have said, if you can test ride, or even test sit on, the various models, you'll know what to do. Have fun deciding!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

on your good news! No such thing as a dumb question. Except, the one you didn't ask. Sounds like an RT is in your future. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Becky,
    on the good news in your "Big Fight"...
    Spyders come in four flavors:
    Here's an idea of what they look like, and how the seating positions compare:

As you come up with questions; throw them out into the ring. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get more answers than you can shake a stick at!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default You deserve it

Congratulations on your victory. I began a cancer adventure in July of 2013. Radiation, surgery. chemo. another surgery. All is well now. While we were in Florida for the winter, my wife encouraged me to buy a 2015 RT. She said "after what you went through you deserve to treat yourself to something". Plus, somehow while I was engaged in mortal combat with the Beast my FJR1300 gained a lot of weight and I could not maneuver the bike around the garage confidently. I have not regretted the switch from two to three wheels one bit. Everyone needs to treat themselves the best they can. Just do it! You deserve it.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Only for the Lady's

There is a Facebook (might be something else) that is just for the Lady Spyder owners. Might meet some fellow female riders near you there. My daughter, Laura, is active there.
    Just a thought.

...and welcome.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Read and read some more. There is more information on here than you can get at the dealer.
    We have a F3 and a ST Limited both 2015's. The one thing that I wish they had was good arm rest so that our grand kids could ride on the main road and not just around the house.

Spyder Garage

YES & YES congrats & welcome. We love to help (& try to 1up the last help) some members have found great ways to help with bags.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...dollar-luggage

I wasn't there but I still care!
    POW MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Adding Bags

Welcome. We cancer survivors need to stick together.
    To answer your question you can add bags to the RS and ST models easily.
    I have a 2013 STS upon which I installed factory Givi color matched bags.
    Tomorrow is the maiden voyage with the bags. BTW I ride solo.
    Given the choice I would go with an RT for passenger comfort.
    Cheers, David C.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chemo is a pain, isn't it? I bought my Spyder after going back on it last fall. I too would suggest you try at least sitting on all models. I found it was difficult to get my leg over an RT because of the high passenger armrests and backrest, and of course it's more expensive. But if those are not concerns for you, the RT would probably give the greatest feeling of security for the passenger. One thing to consider is that a Spyder rider needs to be able to move around more than on a two-wheeler, so Can-Am recommends that the passenger hang onto the seat rather than the driver.I was looking at the RS, but my dealer persuaded me that I'd be more comfortable on an ST, and considering how my knees act in the morning, he was probably right. I believe the ST Limited comes with bags. Worth checking out perhaps.
    Last edited by Questions; 05-29-2016 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Unsuccessful attempt to make paragraphs

Spyder Garage

Go for it! Those of us who have battled cancer understand that life is very precious and time is so valuable.
    Sit on and test ride the different models.
    I decided on the RT Limited last year when I purchased mine. I had no problem going from 2 wheels to three!
    i bought my daughter her dream bike. A Harley 1200 Sporster Custom. We ride together a lot. It is so much fun being able to share this quality time with her!!
    good luck on your choice of bike!!
    2015 RT Limited Red
    2017 Harley Street Glide

Spyder Garage

welcome.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    and on your chemo progress.

I've owned two RTs and now an F3T, so I got side bags in the bargain. But I've seen RSs and STs with bags added on. If you're looking for security for your little passengers, I'd recommend the RT model.

Totally agree...I have young children that I can easily take on long rides with no concern. Even thinking about adding the arm rests for more comfort and protection.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

we are here to help, ask questions!

on your health.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Glad to here about the chemo results!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all, for the warm welcome, great information, and good wishes! I can see that this is a friendly group and I know I'll be spending lots of time here, learning and checking things out.