Spyder Garage

Default NOT A Happy Camper Right Now!!!

I just came on here to vent.

I pulled all the left side tupperware off so I could scope out and hopefully fix my parking brake issue. Discovered the pin that holds the little lever in place almost all the way out!!!! Tried to put it back in, and the whole little assembly fell to the ground and apart!!! Checked my green manual and managed to get that back together. Also noticed that it was put together wrong in the first place!!!!! I've never touched it, so it's been like that since I bought it brand new out of the box!!!! This would explain why I have occasionally had an issue with it from the start. I had honestly thought it was the way I was hitting the pedal....

Now I just have to adjust the cable to get the brake to catch. I had tried to adjust that yesterday, but had made no progress. I left it alone for the night to start fresh today. At this point, I have managed to get the lever to make the "click" sound again!!!

It just ticks me off that you spend all that money for something and it's put together wrong!!! I'm probably very lucky that the damn pin didn't fall out while I was riding and get caught up in the drive belt!!! That would have been fun------NOT!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!! You guys rock!!!! Because of threads on here, I'll be able to get this issue fixed by myself and NOT take it back to the shop I purchased it from 5 years ago!!! UGH!!!!
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Spyder Garage

The assembly of our 's sometimes goes to the low mechanic on the totem pole. A good break in job for the new person. The result is what you are experiencing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Way to go.....

Like the attitude and persistance... you will win out in the end and the feeling is grand... Not going into the pitfalls of shop assembly guys, I am glad you got it all worked out....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

NOW I'm a happy camper!!! After another run to the hardware store for a 17 cent clip for the end of the pin. Cable adjusted, turned the brake pin (or whatever it's called in the video---hush!! I can't remember the name of it! ), and the light goes off when I disengage the parking brake!!!! WOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in business!! Just have to use WD-40 on it, a little lithium grease, and put the tupperware back on!!!
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish that I had YOUR mechanical skills!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

WD 40 attracts dirt! If you are lubing something. Can't wait for the comments on that one. Use a silicon spray. Much better. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Di you know that you were only an unhappy camper for about an hour and forty-five minutes?

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

congrads on your mechanic ability to do it.

Had a problem with my fuse box covers coming off after having it to the dealer for a seal recall.

THEY WERE UPSIDE DOWN

Spyder Garage

These problems are indicative of BRPs main problem.
    Their Dealer Network.

Would you buy a Mercedes from the local Gas Station that has two used garden tractors, a dirt bike and a brand new Mercedes in the front?

Probably not.

My local Zinc Rated Dealer has kids working on Spyders.
    I’m all for giving the youngsters a break but due to the sophistication of these things I believe that the majority of problems are primarily due to people who do not know what they are doing.

The BRP Dealer Net grew out of the Snowmobile then UTV market.
    Unfortunately the skill set required to service something like a Spyder is completely different from a dirt bike.

BRP has a great product in the Spyder, but the support that is required doesn’t seem to be there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Di you know that you were only an unhappy camper for about an hour and forty-five minutes?

I didn't even realize the time !!!! I was the little girl leaning into the engine compartment when my dad and grandpa were fixing our car back in the 70's. What's that? What's that? How does that work? I would take things apart, put them back together, have parts left over, and they would still work. Needless to say, I may have gotten into a little trouble... hee hee

It makes me a quite nervous to be working on the Spyder, but I figure I have the green manual and this forum with lots of free advice and videos!!! And believe me, I appreciate it!!! Anything I can do to save myself some money!! Besides, the nearest dealership is a horrendous pain in the butt to get to right now. Other side of town through a never ending labyrinth of orange barrels, cones, detours and potholes----PASS!!!
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    Their Dealer Network.

Would you buy a Mercedes from the local Gas Station that has two used garden tractors, a dirt bike and a brand new Mercedes in the front?

Probably not.

I’m all for giving the youngsters a break but due to the sophistication of these things I believe that the majority of problems are primarily due to people who do not know what they are doing.

Unfortunately the skill set required to service something like a Spyder is completely different from a dirt bike.

BRP has a great product in the Spyder, but the support that is required doesn’t seem to be there.
    I like your rating(zinc) for your dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default Zinc

For many dealerships, Zinc is a lofty goal!!!
    God bless them - they keep us busy!
    Glad you figured it out. Once you do it, the mystery goes away, and the more you do, the higher your confidence will be!
    Cheers!
    Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    For many dealerships, Zinc is a lofty goal!!!
    God bless them - they keep us busy!
    Glad you figured it out. Once you do it, the mystery goes away, and the more you do, the higher your confidence will be!
    Cheers!
    Joe

Some of the LESS noteworthy ratings:
    Rust
    Mud
    Cowpie
    and of course: Bull

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    I didn't even realize the time !!!! I was the little girl leaning into the engine compartment when my dad and grandpa were fixing our car back in the 70's. What's that? What's that? How does that work? I would take things apart, put them back together, have parts left over, and they would still work. Needless to say, I may have gotten into a little trouble... hee hee Good on you, that's the way it's done!

It makes me a quite nervous to be working on the Spyder, but I figure I have the green manual and this forum with lots of free advice and videos!!! And believe me, I appreciate it!!! Anything I can do to save myself some money!! Besides, the nearest dealership is a horrendous pain in the butt to get to right now. Other side of town through a never ending labyrinth of orange barrels, cones, detours and potholes--- Gee, for a minute I thought you must be living in Montreal, cone capital of the world
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Their Dealer Network.

Probably not.

You have done broke the code Roger!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Their Dealer Network.

Probably not.

You have done broke the code Roger!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick