Spyder Garage

Default Another Heat Question For Ya!!

I keep getting ye olde "hot foot" on the right side. Already have the Spyderpops stuff installed, but it's still toasty there!!! Thinking about removing the splash pans so the heat has another place to go. Also considering highway pegs. Any thoughts?? It's in the mid 80's and fairly humid here, if that helps. And, no, the bike is NOT overheating. Just the normal 5 bars I usually get.

Spyder Garage

If you think its hot now, getting pegs will put your foot in the fire. The big hole on the right side is a heat exaust.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Many of us have removed the plastic panels under the engine. Not really needed.

Spyder Garage

I wondered about the peg placement. I didn't put the left splash pan back on after I did the oil change, so I need to chuck the right one.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

The spyderpops redirection works if the cut our was made according to the plan. I also added some large 11/2"- 2" holes all over the splash pan. The highway pegs will help on the RS/RSS/GS not the RT. After the redirect and the radiator fill i have no heat issues on the RS...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Drop both pans, and make sure that your riding footgear isn't just a pair of flip-flops...
    I also think that Highway pegs would be about like putting your right foot into the Dragon's mouth...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Have you replaced your exhaust Y gaskets? If the gasket is toasted, you right leg gets hot. Replace both with Honda 18392-MOM-000 gaskets. They last a whole lot longer.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good catch!
    With the 990 series engines becoming a bit scarcer; a lot of us forget about this possibility.

Spyder Garage

Y gaskets sounds like a bunch of work I don't know how to do !!!! I'm always wearing m.c. boots and occasionally tennis shoes (only if a 2 mile or less trip on surface streets), so that shouldn't be the problem!! I just removed the right pan, and I know for certain I followed the Spyderpops' directions to a "T"!!! I'm hoping it's just because it's been hot and humid the last couple of days. We'll see tomorrow!!! Rydin' in to work again. Upper 80's for the ryde home!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck; we're all hoping to hear that this did the trick!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You did not say what year RS you have. My 2012 RS would get hot, Not on the foot but the back of the right calf. Tried it all. The 2014 RS had different design panels that let the heat out better. A set (4 panels in all) will run you about 500.00 and they will fit the earlier RS models. I was in the process of getting these newer panels for my RS when I test drove the F3 and well the rest is history.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    Y gaskets sounds like a bunch of work I don't know how to do !!!! I'm always wearing m.c. boots and occasionally tennis shoes (only if a 2 mile or less trip on surface streets), so that shouldn't be the problem!! I just removed the right pan, and I know for certain I followed the Spyderpops' directions to a "T"!!! I'm hoping it's just because it's been hot and humid the last couple of days. We'll see tomorrow!!! Rydin' in to work again. Upper 80's for the ryde home!!!!
    The Y gaskets will definitely make it much, much hotter. They are not hard to replace and of course you could always take it to the dealer to do for you.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Gaskets

I had mine replaced on my GS , it started making a little more noise than usual ( I have Cochlear implants so if I hear it....) and yes the heat became more noticeable as well . After new gaskets and a Yoshimura pipe I think my right foot is a bit relieved ( as well as my wallet)

Spyder Garage

Well, I would like to share that it was a wonderful awesome cool ryde home, but.....

Yeah. The parking brake is disengaged, and WILL NOT re-engage!!! Something is a-foul there, and I need to scope it out. The light and message for the parking brake won't go out, so I know it won't let me put it in 1st gear. I didn't even try starting it up this morning.

I would start cussing on here, but I don't wish to offend anyone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

check the cable and the switch for the parking brake. could be the problem..

What year is your bike again?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    check the cable and the switch for the parking brake. could be the problem..

What year is your bike again?
    2011 RS SE5. I went to the GS/RS forum and did a search. Someone else had the same exact problem a few weeks ago!! Some kind soul posted a video on how to check the cable/switch and reset it. I took notes!! That will be tomorrow's project. Finding out there was an issue started off my day at 5:30 this morning. It's been the day from hell ever since...... Tomorrow WILL be better!!! I don't have to go to work....
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    2011 RS SE5. I went to the GS/RS forum and did a search. Someone else had the same exact problem a few weeks ago!! Some kind soul posted a video on how to check the cable/switch and reset it. I took notes!! That will be tomorrow's project. Finding out there was an issue started off my day at 5:30 this morning. It's been the day from hell ever since...... Tomorrow WILL be better!!! I don't have to go to work....

Some weeks just have more than one Monday.

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic