Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Endorsement needed to rent Slingshots in Florida?

Planning a South Beach vacation and my fiance' wants to rent a Slingshot. A couple of rental places said by Florida Law an endorsement is needed to rent. She called a place and the guy said an endorsement is not needed!
    Currently Own: 2011 RS-S SM5 - BRP Comfort Seat, Juice Box Pro, Two Brothers Exhaust

Previously Owned: 1991 GS500E

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

According to the information on BRP's Spyder website: a motorcycle license is required for three-wheeled motorcycles...
    I think that the 3rd guy made a mistake.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Does the operator already have a motorcycle endorsement? If you have a two wheel endorsement it over-rides the 3 wheel endorsement in Florida. Without a two wheel endorsement a 3 wheel endorsement is required to operate the vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Default Varies....

Come to california....don't need any endorsment... every state is different best just get in touch with the dmv for the state or AAA and get the information to be sure...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingsh...e-requirements

according to Polaris, yes you need motorcycle endorsement

Spyder Garage

Default So...........

One place she called said only a driver's license is needed after she signs a waiver!? The guy said the police here don't TARGET Slingshot drivers but TARGET motorcyclists. I'm like really dude...WTH?
    Currently Own: 2011 RS-S SM5 - BRP Comfort Seat, Juice Box Pro, Two Brothers Exhaust

Previously Owned: 1991 GS500E

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that what matters is what does the state you are licensed in require? If you need a 3 wheel endorsement in your state then Florida would require you to have that. When BRP hired Danica Patrick to do advertising they were going to present her with a Spyder at the Long Beach California Motorcycle Show. They wound up having to keep her in the parking lot because her drivers license was issued in North Carolina and NC requires a motorcycle endorsement to ride a Spyder and she didn't have one. So even though California does not require a special license to ride a Spyder you could be ticketed if your state requires one and the same would go in Florida. I read a post once where a soldier from Washington who was stationed in Texas was not allowed to test drive a Spyder because his 2 wheel motorcycle license from Washington did not cover 3 wheels. Washington issues a 3 wheel license.

Did that make any sense?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

State of Washington had a window open about 12-18 months for all motorcycle riders to get 3 wheel endorsement added without any additional testing. Once that window closed, 2 and 3 wheels endorsements became separate entities.

Spyder Garage

It's South Beach, I doubt it will matter, and besides, you will probably be driving conservative compared to the people here from South American countries.

In one word, simply amazing...OK two words.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Too ride in a Slingshot herein Canada you need a bike license. I have driven through Washington and California and other states on my Spyder, NO ISSUES, guess it all depends. If I got pulled over for having the wrong class of license whilst riding my Spyder, Boy would I be P*****, seeing as how my licence is for driving anything.

Spyder Garage

may be a stupid ? but how would the LEO's from one state know the licencing requirements for all the other states?? Would seem like it's tough enough just to keep up on the state they operate from
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    may be a stupid ? but how would the LEO's from one state know the licencing requirements for all the other states?? Would seem like it's tough enough just to keep up on the state they operate from
    Maybe LEOs have a way to look it up on site. Or maybe they just issue a citation and let the judge sort it out.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 05-28-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: dang auto-correct
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

It's South Beach, unless you drive worse than the people from South America or Miami you will not get stopped.

Just verify the rental place is certain you will be allowed to rent the machine.

If you want to rent a Spyder RT, there is a place here in West Palm that has a rental 2015 RT limited, at least I think it i a limited...

Have fun and use good sunscreen, do not try and get a tan and go without, hear it all the time and see some seriously messed up people that can barely move.

Anyone that has ever been to a Florida theme park and witnessed the ripening of a British or German tourist when exposed to Florida sun knows what I mean.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Maybe LEOs have a way to look it up on site. Or maybe they just issue a citation and let the judge sort it out.
    They know what the laws are in their State, and it'll be up to you, to convince them, that you're "good to go" in your own.
    Armed with conflicting information; they might be able to call into the "home office" for clarification...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They know what the laws are in their State, and it'll be up to you, to convince them, that you're "good to go" in your own.
    Armed with conflicting information; they might be able to call into the "home office" for clarification...
    In many places now they have computers in their patrol cars. I assume they can call up all sorts of info on the spot.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

People...It's South Beach Miami.

If you have ever been there you would understand.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll bet that they can find the best barbecue places on them!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'll bet that they can find the best barbecue places on them!

Or donut shops!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)