Thread: Gearing problem

Spyder Garage

Default Gearing problem

This started yesterday. I have the paddle shifters, and sometimes when I try go from second to third gear it does not engage. Then I hit the paddle shifter again and it goes into forth. Also, when I slow down the F3 normally gears down automatically. But now, sometimes I am at a complete stop and it's still in forth gear. There is also a high pitched shuttering sound coming from somewhere. Anyone experience this?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    This started yesterday. I have the paddle shifters, and sometimes when I try go from second to third gear it does not engage. Then I hit the paddle shifter again and it goes into forth. Also, when I slow down the F3 normally gears down automatically. But now, sometimes I am at a complete stop and it's still in forth gear. There is also a high pitched shuttering sound coming from somewhere. Anyone experience this?
    Call your dealer and have them check your transmission control module. These are a known problem on the F3. They get debris in them and don't' function properly. There is a safety/warranty campaign out on them, so it shouldn't cost you anything to have it replaced.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might be something even simpler...
    Have you checked to make sure that the oil level is correct?
    (Simplest things first... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I just got an oil change. I called the dealer and he said to bring it in. I told him since its a gearing issue I don't know if its safe to ride in. Then he got snotty and said to call Cam Am roadside assistance.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I just got an oil change. I called the dealer and he said to bring it in. I told him since its a gearing issue I don't know if its safe to ride in. Then he got snotty and said to call Cam Am roadside assistance.
    Screw it ride it and if it shoots craps call Cam Am roadside assistance and then BRP will end up with a bigger warranty bill. Gotta love customer service these days. We got your cash so screw you seems to be the attitude more and more.

Spyder Garage

Ouch! Another vote for quality customer service. NOT.

Now I am wondering if the dealer screwed up your bike while in the shop.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let ur dealer know it is warranty bulletin #2015-7 (issued 7/21/2015) for gearbox position sensor (GBPS) contamination failure - part # for new GBPS: 420265120 effects 2105F3/RT based according to my dealer on VIN number.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

#1 - How do you know they changed the oil?
    #2 - How do you know they did it right?
    #3 - Have you checked the oil level? How do you know they filled it to the correct level?
    #4 - It's your Spyder. If something goes wrong the people at the dealership still go home on time and have dinner.

Dealerships are like doctors. You don't know if they are bad until it's too late!

Sorry, I don't mean to be negative. But sometimes it's better to be skeptical than to take their word for things.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know what the outcome of this is... Good luck!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Call a different dealer. And have them check the original dealer's work, while they're at it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

identical thing happened to me. like previous posts indicated, its the "gearbox position sensor"

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the useful advice. Last time I had warranty issues, they dealership picket up my bike and charged Can Am. I am not sure why its different now. I did speak to the mechanic that worked on my bike a while ago. He is a conscientious chap. The dick on the phone is someone else. Next time I will get his name. I've paid iMotorsports thousands of dollars to do my upgrades. They need to know about this guy.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Default SM6

Is this only a problem on the SE6 or can the SM6 have the same problem. If I am trying to get on the interstate or a busy road where I have to give it more gas than just taking off red light to red light, it will not shift and I will have to pull the clutch in and shift again or I will get the Error message on the indicator. I have put 7700 miles on it, fluid levels look good. It will be in for service the second week of June so hopefully they can do something about it then.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saleschase View Post
    Is this only a problem on the SE6 or can the SM6 have the same problem. If I am trying to get on the interstate or a busy road where I have to give it more gas than just taking off red light to red light, it will not shift and I will have to pull the clutch in and shift again or I will get the Error message on the indicator. I have put 7700 miles on it, fluid levels look good. It will be in for service the second week of June so hopefully they can do something about it then.

Same problem SE6/SM6
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Default Gear shifting

I am having the same problem. The gears get sticky going from 2-3 and it downshifts on an intermediate basis. Still drivable, but definitely something wrong.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have them check your Gear Position Sensor...