Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default UNSEEN DISABILITIES

JW. Metro Atlanta. 2012 RT SE-5, TircLed mirror turn signals, run/turn saddlebag lights, ring of fire, and fender tip lights, ShowChrome backrest,chrome (wide) foot pegs, SpyderPops spyclops, A-arm LED's, JT's USB Port, Digital Voltmeter ( Ebay) and Performance Powersports Scoops.

Spyder Garage

I have a disability that as long as I am strapped into a series of contraptions look normal and can move about normal for a spell. Without it or after a few hours I'm done. Maybe why I love my Spyder, 'cause it is one place I can be for hours with the only off time being to eat and fuel up... for pointing this out, before I got this way, I was one sneering at abled looking folks using handicap parking etc.... now I know better...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2024 at 05:21 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting your video. I can relate to all that you have said.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video, and I admire your spirit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You don't see my depression and PTSD, but it's there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a knee that will eventually need to be replaced. I look perfectly fine, but sometimes I have given it all just to shop. I get dirty looks when I don't put the cart in the corral that's across the parking lot.

Now that I have my Spyder, I have a lot of people saying that they would NEVER ride one of them. When I explain that I have a bad knee and also suffered tendon damage to my left wrist, most of them agree that I have found a good solution. What bothers me are the few who look down their noses at my and say that they would rather not ride. People don't realize how much this hurts. I wish I was back on two wheels, too. Why can't they just be supportive?

Thanks for your video.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by debbiepalamar View Post
    I have a knee that will eventually need to be replaced. I look perfectly fine, but sometimes I have given it all just to shop. I get dirty looks when I don't put the cart in the corral that's across the parking lot.

Now that I have my Spyder, I have a lot of people saying that they would NEVER ride one of them. When I explain that I have a bad knee and also suffered tendon damage to my left wrist, most of them agree that I have found a good solution. What bothers me are the few who look down their noses at my and say that they would rather not ride. People don't realize how much this hurts. I wish I was back on two wheels, too. Why can't they just be supportive?

Thanks for your video.
    Unfortunately some can't see beyond their own selfishness: for example although I have the disabled label on my spyders tag one angry person kept telling me your riding a motorcycle as implying there is nothing wrong with me. He wanted the space so bad he called a security guard. I even explained my condition but he did not want to here it. So I geared up and rode on saddened by the selfishness of some people.
    JW. Metro Atlanta. 2012 RT SE-5, TircLed mirror turn signals, run/turn saddlebag lights, ring of fire, and fender tip lights, ShowChrome backrest,chrome (wide) foot pegs, SpyderPops spyclops, A-arm LED's, JT's USB Port, Digital Voltmeter ( Ebay) and Performance Powersports Scoops.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's horrible.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your vid Rukpub.

I too, am one of the 'unseen disabled' and I too have been given grief simply because I 'don't look disabled' when I've been using the disabled facilities that are pretty much the only things (besides my Spyder that is, my Hi-speed Mobility Scooter!) that let me get out amongst it these days!! That does tend to annoy me a little, as generally the people dishing that sort of crap have absolutely no idea about the amount of ongoing sweat & pain that goes into me living my life as 'normally' as possible; nor are they aware that I 'acquired' my current 'disabilities' & injuries thru serving them & my country - but I do try to keep in mind that they can't really know that just by looking at me; & besides, it's THEIR problem, not mine! If they hafta go thru life being that petty & ignorant all the time then they must really lead pretty miserable lives - and I'm not going to let their behaviour towards me drag me down to their level of ignorance & intolerance!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I try to remember to forgive them, for their ignorance...
    It makes me feel better.
    (Over 50 years of Type I Diabetes, with all of the possible complications from it.)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Loved reading this thread! Thanks for your stories. I've been totally and permanently disabled for over a decade due to a line of duty head, neck, spine injury in the military. Folks observing me casually would never suspect, thanks to 10 long, hard years of rehab, some awesome docs and therapists, and the Good Lord's mercy. Without a Can Am Spyder, I can't ride anymore. Brave to y'all for keeping on keeping on!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video, best ride I've had all winter.

I've always hated whiners and don't like pointing out my problems but ****, their just medical. I can't breath without extra oxygen. Joints are shot should have had a knee years ago and the ankle worked on but the doc says I can't handle it being on blood thinners and I can barely bend over and lift up my shoes let alone a 2 wheeler. Type2 diabetes. Faint a lot if I don't breath right and have the scars to prove it . To get from the front door to the Spyder (10') I have to stop and rest three times even with air. I figured 70 would be a different life and it is, but just different than I thought. So, if I don't make many of the events I would like to go to it's cause I need a bit of help now and then and I burden my wife enough I won't do it to any others out trying to have a good time. I'll just wait for good weather and keep putting the miles on the Spyder, I love that damn thing.

Spyder Garage

That was a really great video. I have stage 4 emphysema and never know when I may have another pneumothorax happen again. Having a lung collapse is really a scary thought. But it happens. Riding our RT is some of my most enjoyable moment's other than spending time with my family and friends. Life is what you make of it and having fun and living it to the fullest is the only way to go. So get out there and enjoy it. Ride often and happy trails to all of us.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2024 at 05:23 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video, Habib.
    Here's a "cute" incident under the heading people are idiots.

About 15 years ago, I was working on my Masters degree, getting some articles from the Medical Library downtown.

In the parking lat, as I was GETTING MY MOBILITY SCOOTER OUT , a lady stopped me to self-righteously ask if I had a handicap placard.

Using the lift to get my Amigo scooter out of the back and she doesn't think I'm handicapped enough?

That's why I often carry a cane. It doesn't really help me that much, but it keeps the fools at bay.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing. I’d like share one...as a Left AKA there are times when I can’t wear my prosthesis ... and when those happen, I still ride and yes park in designated parking. An older couple were quite upset with me when I pulled into the spot and removed my helmet while seated. They quite vocallly told me I was not to park in the designated spot, it is reserved for people in wheel chairs. Well, being very nice, I simply said, 👌 and slid off the RT and hopped to the rear to remove my collapsed crutches from the luggage rack... I asked the couple, do I fit the criteria? They were embarrassed to say the least.

That day I was legless, and obviously disabled, but how many times have people seen me and others, who “look” able bodied, park in the designated areas and, comment or complain that we ‘took their spot’, block us in, or worse, park in a designated spot (and say I’m only going in for a minute) without authorization in place. . Awareness of such events needs to be broadcasted all about to help us all...

I also know of similar situations for our disabled 2 wheel riders.... it ain’t always what it looks like from the outside...ride safe all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well done. Thanks for reminder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Good stories all. There is a lot of the "unseen" stuff going on. It was obvious when I had the bad hip. Needed help just to get the leg over the seat, and had to walk "hunched over" with a cane when getting off.

Now, the hip is better, but a heart condition prevents me from walking more than 100 feet before I have to stop and rest. I don't look disabled--but I would not want you to walk in my shoes.

I get looks from people and did get a few nasty notes from do gooders when I park my in designated parking and put the HC placard on the windshield. One note giver was waiting for me when I came out limping from the supermarket. I guess he had second thoughts when he saw me.

Bottom line, I am careful not to judge others, and hope they feel the same about me.

I would gladly trade that HC sticker and plate just to be "normal."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-12-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wow, great post. Thanks for sharing.

Mine are not as bad as some. Hep C since I was 18, I take stuff for my liver everyday.
    Ringing in my ears that is so loud I think others should be able to hear it.
    Few other mental things I deal with but other than that life is good.

Spyder Garage

I too have an unseen disability (at least for now). I have MS and right now it cannot be seen but one day it most likely will. I have good days and bad days, my balance is what I have the most issue with. I can ryde a 2 wheeler but if I had an issue while riding I know I would go down. I have been putting off getting handicapped plates for the Spyder but finally gave in. When I went to DMV with my paperwork they looked at me and said handicapped plates on a motorcycle? I said yes, there response was I don't think we can do that. I said yes you can. They had to call division for special plates to verify that they do have them. I have to mail away to get them. They did ask how can I ride a MC if I am handicapped. I said it's a Spyder and has 3 wheels.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Loved reading this thread! Thanks for your stories. I've been totally and permanently disabled for over a decade due to a line of duty head, neck, spine injury in the military. Folks observing me casually would never suspect, thanks to 10 long, hard years of rehab, some awesome docs and therapists, and the Good Lord's mercy. Without a Can Am Spyder, I can't ride anymore. Brave to y'all for keeping on keeping on!
    Thank you and all the other vets out there for your service. May some of these people that are ignorant to others disabilities wake up and try to get more informed about what really goes on in the world. And not just what they see in their own little world. Thank again.

Spyder Garage

Both my wife and I Qualify for handicap stickers. She has had both hips replaced and still has trouble walking any distance. I broke my back in 5 places and have had 9 knee operations to include a replacement all due to my previous profession. When we use our stickers, some people look at us and our two spyders and start to argue with us and threaten to call the police. I tell them no need to and show them my retired Sheriff's Office ID. That usually ends the conversation.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2024 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I first got my Spyder, I would put my car placard on my Spyder. I finally ran into a cop that thought I should not be allowed to park my Spyder in a handicapped spot regardless of my auto placard. He gave me a ticket. I immediately went to the courthouse (I live in a small town) to challenge it. I managed to go right into traffic court and see the judge. I told him that I walked the same way whether I was on my Spyder or in my car. Also noted that the placard traveled with me and not my car. He went to his Oregon Traffic Laws book and found that there was actually a Handicapped sticker to put on a motorcycle. He dismissed the case and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. Off to the DMV to order a Motorcycle Handicapped Sticker. Case closed, I may occasionally get a "stink eye" from someone, but I haven't had any trouble since then. Now I park legally and Ride in comfort.
    John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rukpub View Post
    Thanks for recognizing those of us with unseen disabilities, I have a pulmonary disorder and can relate.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2024 at 05:27 PM.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is the third time I've read this entire thread over the past few months. Today, as in past readings, I'm still in awe at some of the obstacles we can overcome. Hy hat's off to all my enabled friends. Life may not have played out like we expected, but I see an awful lot of "Lemonade" out there rather than "Lemons". Bless you all.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rukpub View Post
    Just ad the same thing done in June wen for a short ride monday my eight weeks of healing was up so away i go can't stop living fir a little thing like that .Survived 7 heart attacks, thanks for sharing will ride till i absolutely can't any more hang in there