Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So when you say "Side by side": you mean that the 1330 is out in front!
    Yep! The key word here is prefer. They are both great machines though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I might love my 2014, but it'll never replace my 2010!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll be a little bit contrarian here and say a lot depends on what kind of riding you expect to do, and how constrained your finances are. If money is an issue, and you don't plan on doing a lot of 70+ Interstate riding, then seriously look at a 2012 or 2013 RT. Ride it for a year or two and then move up to what you would like to keep for many years or miles. Otherwise, look for a 2014 or 2015. On the other hand, if the two of you plus your traveling stuff is going to be a 350 lbs or more load on the bike, then the more powerful 1330 engine would be the better choice. IMO, the 1330 is not overwhelmingly better than the 998 like so many owners say it is. It is more powerful, has more torque, and gets better gas mileage, but still at 75 mph and over pulling a trailer against a headwind or uphill it does not equal a Goldwing.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replys! I have talked to my insurance agent and stopped in at my bank and all systems are go! Now to find a Spyder to call my own. Or more correctly, my wife and I can call OUR own! I will give strong consideration to a 2014, based on all the positive responses here.

One more question resulting from the comments on service requirements. What is the difference in dealer required maintenance visits between Spyders with the 1330 engine verses the 998? Also, how often would a clutch need to be replaced with a manual transmission, given proper use, no excessive slipping of it, etc?

I've got to get some sleep now, I've been up since 4:30 yesterday afternoon. I've got tonight and tomorrow night off, so I put the extra time to good use!

Thanks to everyone for the great answers, Bob.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Thanks for the replys! I have talked to my insurance agent and stopped in at my bank and all systems are go! Now to find a Spyder to call my own. Or more correctly, my wife and I can call OUR own! I will give strong consideration to a 2014, based on all the positive responses here.

One more question resulting from the comments on service requirements. What is the difference in dealer required maintenance visits between Spyders with the 1330 engine verses the 998? Also, how often would a clutch need to be replaced with a manual transmission, given proper use, no excessive slipping of it, etc?

I've got to get some sleep now, I've been up since 4:30 yesterday afternoon. I've got tonight and tomorrow night off, so I put the extra time to good use!

Hands down, the 1330 has less frequent service. Oil changes are at 9,300 mile intervals (OR--at least once a year), whichever comes first. Valve adjustment service is not required on the 1330's. That will save you about $800. The 998's require oil change service every 4,500 miles or so and valve check service is recommended every 14,000 miles.

Can't help with the manual transmission question. I had a manual on the 2008 before the semi autos were available. Have driven SE versions since then.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-26-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

uploadfromtaptalk1464306891116.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BoilerAnimal;1134930]Hi everyone! Found this site doing research on Spyders and I'm TOTALLY impressed! The knowledge and helpfulness displayed here is unsurpassed. Now I am going to ask for your help in picking my Spyder.

My wife and I figured to get a used Spyder RT, probably a 2010 to 2013. I'm leery of the 2014's and newer because of the DESS errors. My big question is, which year and why would you recommend to a new Spyder rider to buy and what would you stay away from and why?

Well, I am not as learned as the others, but I will try to answer your question, as asked. I will premise the conversation with the fact that I am also over 60 and bought my first Spyder just last fall and it is a 2013 RTL. It has had ALL of the work done on it including the extra air intakes, which give away the update and all other recalls. I got it because of the price, i rode it 5,300 miles in two months+ before winter here in Ohio.

Since then, despite the horrible spring here, I managed to log an additional 2K on it. I love it, I trust it, and I would buy it again. All of that being said, if you can afford the extra expense, I would also suggest that you move to the 2014 or + models, for the mileage, power, and whatever. If you are on a budget, get a '13 just check that the heat issue was addressed, first.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is an excellent question. The cost to own a 1330 is definitely much less than a 998. The 998 tends to have an oil drinking problem and the 1330 does not. The maintenance intervals are much, much longer on the 1330. I have a manual transmission on my 14 and I have not had to replace the clutch in 76,000 miles. I had a part on the shifter go bad but it was a warranty repair that happened at approx. 65,000 miles.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Go with the 1330's a better machine all around.......

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Totally Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I would strongly recommend a 2014 or newer RT. for the following reasons.

More reliable, despite what you may be reading the DESS problem has only affected a small percentage of the RTs

An RT is best suited for 2 up riding, comfort, safety and storage being main issues.

2014s have bigger brakes, tires, engines, 6 speed rather than 5 speed, dual radiators up front, reverse radiator fans, much less required maintenance Etc.

Just my .02 cents worth and i have had every year RTs from 2012 thru 2015.

Cruzr Joe
    I had a 2012 RT Limited...great bike and dependable. However, the new powertrain 1330 cc triple and 6 speed transmission far outweigh any concerns you would have. I've got over 27,000 miles on my 2014 RT Limited with ZERO issues! If you can afford it, go for the 2014 RT or newer ......from one 61 year old rider to another! Best of luck with your purchase!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't have a Spyder... Almost ANY year bike, is the best year to buy!
    (But some of them, are better than others... )

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you don't have a Spyder... Almost ANY year bike, is the best year to buy!
    (But some of them, are better than others... )
    Very true!!! But we do plan to be selective and get the most bang for the buck. Does appear to be a pretty significant difference in potential maintenance costs between the newer and older models. Any figures for the cost of the 14000 mile valve adjustment and is that every 14000 miles?

I want to thank everyone for the help, you have been very informative, Bob.

Spyder Garage

I opted to pay more for a '15. Had looked at '13's but SIGNIFICANT improvements in the RT platform convinced me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any figures for the cost of the 14000 mile valve adjustment and is that every 14000 miles?
    I believe that Akspyderman has mentioned that the valve adjustment was about 600 bucks...
    BUT...
    There seems to be little reason to hold to BRP's schedule for that adjustment. We have not had anybody report back yet, that the valves were out of spec at that interval. Lots of folks have stretched it out to 25,000 miles, or more.
    For the record: I did NOT have them checked on my 2010 RT. When I traded the bike in (with 17,208 miles on it), everything was still "tight & right".

Spyder Garage

I believe that Akspyderman has mentioned that the valve adjustment was about 600 bucks...
    BUT...
    There seems to be little reason to hold to BRP's schedule for that adjustment. We have not had anybody report back yet, that the valves were out of spec at that interval. Lots of folks have stretched it out to 25,000 miles, or more.
    For the record: I did NOT have them checked on my 2010 RT. When I traded the bike in (with 17,208 miles on it), everything was still "tight & right".
    I did my first at 14,000. Stretched the 2nd one out to 28,000 on my second bike. Do not plan to do it before 50,000 on the 2011 if I still have it then. My choice, my gamble.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Red face 2013 With recalls = GREAT!!

I have read all of the posts here and do understand the reluctance of many to get a 2013 due to the problems that it had with heat. I am very happy with my 2013 after the recall was completed. There is absolutely NO heat coming in from the glove box area anymore and as a matter of fact I kind of miss it a little in the winter. I have also put a 2014 grill on the right side and that has cleared up the heat on the right foot area and I like the new sound that it makes (more rumble). As to drinking oil---I haven't had that problem. I now have almost 10,000 miles on it so that may be a problem later or not. Don't know.

I have also compared it to a 2016 RT Special that my dealer let me take on a long group ride while my husbands new bike was being ordered and it had warm air where my 13 RTL is now cool.

In conclusion: I am happy with the 2013 now and the only reason that I would trade mine would be to get one like Neal's F3 Limited. . He has been forewarned that the next one is mine. lol
    If you are thinking about getting a used 2013 and all recalls have been done then by all means do so if the price is right without any worries about the heat issue.

Charlotte

Spyder Garage

My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5 ( it had the 998 engine) then I took a demo ride on 2014RTS-SE6 ( @ Spyderfest in Springfield, MO) WOW!!!.

What a difference quiter/ bigger engine 1330, smoother ride, you can go farther on a tank of gas, comfortable, 6 speed transmission ( Which I wanted) and all the new upgrades that BRP made to the 2014 RTS'S.
    The break-in period on the 2014RTS-SE 6's is 3,000 miles, less maintance, Warranty, B.E.S.T. ( extended).

Go to "4 Sale by Owner And WTB "under Forum" on this site and take a look.

My current spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6 ( Cognac) After, I got back from Spyderfest I went to Walt's Sales & Service ( in Derby, VT.) in July,2014, and I bought a 2014RTS-SE6. I have over 11,000 miles on it now. Go to "Deanna777 my Album" and see pictures of the farkles that I have put on it.

We are here to help, ask questions.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

any year you have the money to do so
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME