Spyder Garage

Default Removing and re-installing the seat with BRP Backrest in place: How difficult is it?

Thanks!
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1/2 hour or less, straightforward job.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

You don't need to remove the seat to do that.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    1/2 hour or less, straightforward job.
    Thanks! Does the backrest system need to be unbolted from the top?

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    You don't need to remove the seat to do that.
    To do what?

I was considering the seat skin. And, installing it myself. Does the seat not have to come off for the install of a seat skin?
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

Don't need to take the seat off for the backrest. Need to be off for the seat skin. Best to do both at the same time. I need to take apart my sport rack to get the seat off for the seat skin. LOL
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

I need to take apart my sport rack to get the seat off for the seat skin. LOL
    Bingo! So, does one just have to take apart the sport rack from the top, after removing the plate (or backrest) to get to the seat hardware?
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    Bingo! So, does one just have to take apart the sport rack from the top, after removing the plate (or backrest) to get to the seat hardware?
    Answer is yes. You need to unscrew those 4 bolts to take to top part of the sport rack off so you can raise the seat to its vertical position (after unhooking the gas shock and deteach the seat sensor). Once vertical, you can get at the three bolts holding the seat down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    when i installed corbin i took four bolt off the inside of sport rack simple and makes more room ,,,
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Answer is yes. You need to unscrew those 4 bolts to take to top part of the sport rack off so you can raise the seat to its vertical position (after unhooking the gas shock and deteach the seat sensor). Once vertical, you can get at the three bolts holding the seat down.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    when i installed corbin i took four bolt off the inside of sport rack simple and makes more room ,,,
    Thanks guys! I like the fact that I won't have to mess with panel removal, too.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The easiest way to remove the seat is to do the following

1. Remove the reatining clip at the top of the gas shock. Then remove the single blot at the rear pivot point of the seat. This can be done without removing the Backrest or the Rear rack.

Once that is done then you have easy access to all the bolts under the the seat, including the actual mounting bracket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tjfischer View Post
    ... Then remove the single blot at the rear pivot point of the seat. ...
    Tight squeeze. But its worth a try (I think imma gonna try that myself first ... just because I don't feel like taking the sport rack apart). Don't forget to disconnect the seat sensor.

Spyder Garage

Unless installing the BRP sport rack changed something, that single bolt at the seat pivot is captured by the grab rails. When I installed my Russell seat, I was unable to get that bolt out until the seat mounting plate (4 bolts) was removed from the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Unless installing the BRP sport rack changed something, that single bolt at the seat pivot is captured by the grab rails. When I installed my Russell seat, I was unable to get that bolt out until the seat mounting plate (4 bolts) was removed from the Spyder.
    That's how I remembered from when I installed the sport rack. Didn't think that hindge bolt is coming out until the sides are unblocked. But I will look at it on SUnday ... any shortcut is worth checking out.

Spyder Garage

That's how I remembered from when I installed the sport rack. Didn't think that hindge bolt is coming out until the sides are unblocked. But I will look at it on SUnday ... any shortcut is worth checking out.
    I just took my sport rack apart last monday for painting, after you remove the 4 bolts, there is two other tiny bolts that separate the rack in two parts plus 1 other under at the back of the fender, once all these bolts are out, slide the under piece out so you can get access to disconect the
    cable that releases the back rest, once the cable is out you could completly remove the rack

hope it could help
    Last edited by JOESPY; 03-18-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Finally, my Spyder is home after being at the dealer for 9 days (service / exhaust gaskets - these had to be ordered).

I installed my Nelson-Rigg bags this morning. Nice fit! Then, I removed them since they will only be used for overnighters, etc,,,. Now.. the only thing I have to do is install the new seat skin.

I removed the plate off the sport rack, and loosened 2 of those bolts down inside. Then, I tightened them up. I'm going to attempt to remove the seat without taking that back section off.

But,,, another day.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JOESPY View Post
    I just took my sport rack apart last monday for painting, after you remove the 4 bolts, there is two other tiny bolts that separate the rack in two parts plus 1 other under at the back of the fender, once all these bolts are out, slide the under piece out so you can get access to disconect the
    cable that releases the back rest, once the cable is out you could completly remove the rack

hope it could help
    I do not even know if you are still riding, but I hope you get this message. I used your post just today to get the backrest off of my bike. I couldn't find any videos and was unsure how to take it off. Thank you.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why is this discussion in the F3 thread? Ya'll are describing seats that pivot: they were never on any of the F3 models. The passenger seat pops off via the ignition key turn. The rider seat is held on via two 10-mm headed bolts. Both can be removed with a passenger back rest installed. The rider back rest simply pulls out of its socket.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Why is this discussion in the F3 thread? Ya'll are describing seats that pivot: they were never on any of the F3 models. The passenger seat pops off via the ignition key turn. The rider seat is held on via two 10-mm headed bolts. Both can be removed with a passenger back rest installed. The rider back rest simply pulls out of its socket.
    Did you check the dates of the First Post in this Thread pauly?? Or did you look at the dates on the last few posts in it before you posted up in reply to this thread??

Somehow, despite the frequent reminders that the Mods do post to this effect, I doubt that you did.... Cos if you HAD, then you'd probably have realised that this thread was started waaay back in 2009, well before ANYONE had an F3, so rather than it being POSTED in the wrong section, it was more likely just mixed up in the re-shuffle & subsequent re-organisation that happened once F3's finally DID come along, when the Forum Sections and sub-forums were re-organised to reflect that! Buuut, this sorta stuff does happen at times, and the fact that Otter still felt it appropriate to thank an earlier contributor to the thread, joespy, because the info in their post helped otter sort their own issue should be applauded regardless of where it occurs or how long after the original thread was posted!

If you'd realized any of this, then I'm sure that you would've decided that a more appropriate course of action for you to follow would've been to either PM one or all of the Mods to ask us to move the thread into the right sub-forum; or you could even have clicked on the little exclamation mark in a triangle that's down in the bottom left of any of the posts in this thread to Report the thread and so bring to the attention of ALL the Mods that this thread somehow ended up in the wrong sub-forum, probably back in 2015 when F3's first hit the streets. Either of those methods would've seen this thread moved to the correct sub-forum without you having to post anything like you did and run the risk of being labelled as a bit of an aggro **** who's getting all picky about where a thread was originally posted waaay back in 2009; or how it must've got moved into the wrong section/sub-forum probably some-time shortly after the advent of the F3's back in 2015....

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-22-2023 at 12:04 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!