Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Duh!!!

My 2015 has a label that says left and right on the fuse boxes. Must have been an issue in the past!
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT-S

On the 14 and newer RT you don't have to wait for the start up menu if you have turned the engine off for less than 5 minutes. You can start it while the screen is going through its paces. So if you just fueled up you can turn the key on and hit the starter button without waiting.

It also works the same way on my 2013 RT-S..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Good list Joe. I'm thinking, but not coming up with anything else.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Good list Joe. I'm thinking, but not coming up with anything else.

My brain is being tested.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    On the 14 and newer RT you don't have to wait for the start up menu if you have turned the engine off for less than 5 minutes. You can start it while the screen is going through its paces. So if you just fueled up you can turn the key on and hit the starter button without waiting.

Also on my 2013 ST and also one my 09 GS when I had it. So I would assume all models all years will work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Some people's idea of "warmed up good" may not be sufficient for getting an accurate oil reading. Follow the directions in the Owners Manual for checking the oil. And be extra vigilant on being sure that you have run the engine the recommended amount of time or you will not be getting a good reading.

Another add to your list would be to read your Owners Manual, there is a wealth of information there. If you don't have one you can read it online at www.can-am.brp.com

I always check the oil when returning from my ryde. It will be as warm as it gets. Then I am ready for my next ryde.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Change oil/filter

You can adjust the windshield while riding.

Turn up the Radio

When you are going thru a city/ or if you are riding in the early morning hours the radio volume goes lower.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Now the true test from Joes list of little thought of and less remembered tips is to remember them all. Joe we need a reminder list each month for those of us over 70. I would print out a copy but then I won't remember where I put it.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On 2013, and maybe earlier, if you turn the key off, and then back on before the Spyder screen has disappeared, the radio display on the main screen reverts to disabled. Looks like this has been fixed with 2014 RT.

In iPod controls a long press on left or right button will move to previous/next playlist or album, except the first time after power to the audio has been turned on, in which case it always goes to the last/first playlist or album in the list. With 2013, and earlier(?), power is cut to the audio when the starter button is pressed. On 2014, and later(?), power to the audio control remains on when the starter button is pressed and also while the Spyder screen is showing after the key is turned off.

After turning the key off a long press of the mode button turns the audio back on. Also pressing the mode button while turning the key off keeps the audio turned on. If the parking brake is not set the beeping continues as long as the audio is on. It does not turn off after 20 seconds. Turn audio off by turning the key on, then off, or pressing the hazard button twice.

If the battery voltage drops below about 11.4 while playing the audio with engine not running, the system automatically shuts down.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 05-27-2016 at 12:12 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Of course you can do wheelies.....but only in reverse!
    If you go too fast in reverse a Spyder can be flipped over. A mechanic at my dealer did it in their parking lot.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Flipping

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    If you go too fast in reverse a Spyder can be flipped over. A mechanic at my dealer did it in their parking lot.
    If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Now the true test from Joes list of little thought of and less remembered tips is to remember them all. Joe we need a reminder list each month for those of us over 70. I would print out a copy but then I won't remember where I put it.

​Jack

Reminder about what??

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Lots of good info, Thanks everyone for posting!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    On a RT Series Spyder

DO NOT use a power washer to clean your spyder especially around the dash area.

Cruzr Joe
    Just curious about this recommendation.

I own a pressure washer and wash my Spyder after almost every ride with it without any problems.

Wondering what I should watch out for in the future.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Good stuff Joe

Here's one I discovered by chance:

When you depress the "Set" button while riding, the display toggles between Trip A and Trip B.

Pam
    Thank you I will use this often. I use A for fill up info and B for trip distance.
    Will no longer have to cycle through the screens.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Just curious about this recommendation.

I own a pressure washer and wash my Spyder after almost every ride with it without any problems.

Wondering what I should watch out for in the future.
    Some concerns

1 - if you have a rock chip in the paint, the pressure washer could increase the size of the paint chip.

2 - The pressure from the hose could get in places that water would not normally enter and cause electrical problems.

3 - Some areas that normally have a slight grease coating could be cleaned of the grease and cause friction.

4 - Too much water pressure around the dash board can get inside the enclosed area and cause problems and fogging.

5 - Decals can come loose.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    Thank you I will use this often. I use A for fill up info and B for trip distance.
    Will no longer have to cycle through the screens.
    Kenn
    I just tried that one out also...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Some concerns

1 - if you have a rock chip in the paint, the pressure washer could increase the size of the paint chip.

2 - The pressure from the hose could get in places that water would not normally enter and cause electrical problems.

3 - Some areas that normally have a slight grease coating could be cleaned of the grease and cause friction.

4 - Too much water pressure around the dash board can get inside the enclosed area and cause problems and fogging.

Cruzr Joe
    Thanks Cruzr Joe
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post

On my 2011 RT-AC also.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

When parking turn the wheels to full lock in either direction and turn turn the key full left, this will lock the glove box.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT was this way also.
    Last edited by rcturner; 05-31-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Cruzr Joe
    Hence the reason only one side of the rear end of my spyder still has the RS-S decal........

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    Hence the reason only one side of the rear end of my spyder still has the RS-S decal........

Just sayin'............

OUCH

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Default Tricks

Some people's idea of "warmed up good" may not be sufficient for getting an accurate oil reading. Follow the directions in the Owners Manual for checking the oil. And be extra vigilant on being sure that you have run the engine the recommended amount of time or you will not be getting a good reading.

Another add to your list would be to read your Owners Manual, there is a wealth of information there. If you don't have one you can read it online at www.can-am.brp.com

My 2011 RT also does this!

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

Default Why is h ctenophore minute wait idling before checking oil.

On a RT Series Spyder

The Right side Saddlebag is larger than the Left side.

If you don't use the parking brake when you turn the Spyder off, the beeper will quit after 20 seconds.

Your Tires are Directional and should not be swapped side to side.

Your battery charger/tender should be compatible with an AGM battery.

If you use your car Battery to jump start your spyder, leave the car turned off and remove the jumper cables from your spyder as soon as it starts.

If you want your Fuel & Temp gauge to be digital on your dash just unplug both your analog temp and gas gauge and the digital ones will appear on your display.

A good rule of thumb for tire pressure is 18 (+ or - 2) for the front (be sure both are as close as possible for maximum ride stability) and 29 (+ or - 1) for the rear.

Be sure that your Spyder is warmed up good before checking your oil, do not overfill your oil.

Be sure that the brake reservoir caps (located under the seat) are on solidly and that the slightly raised area is pointed toward the back of your spyder or it could leak brake fluid.

DO NOT use a power washer to clean your spyder especially around the dash area.

If you can think of more good suggestions please post them on this thread.

If you allow your spyder to warm up for two or three minutes when you first start it for the day, it will run smoother with less "CLUNK".

Check your tire thread and replace if worn or there are any visible cracks or tire rot marks.

Cruzr Joe
    If your up operating in emp. Why let it sit and idle for ten minutes before checking oil?
    Steel Black Metallic 2015 RTS-SE6 Limited ; FBB Highway Brackets/ gripper pegs. Gremlin bell. Bajaron sway bar, Elka stage 2 front shocks. Bumps kid with led lights, Ultimate seat tall boy seat. Trailer hitch. Freedom trailer.