Thread: garmin quit

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default garmin quit

My Zumo 590 quit working on my 2015 RT L. I think that it is a charging problem to the Garmin. Is there a fuse that could be blowen?

Spyder Garage

Did the Zumo come on automatically when you turn on the ignition?

Take the battery out and recharge or leave it in if you do not have a separate charger.
    If it dies out, then you know for sure its related to voltage getting to the 590.

Tip: Take a pencil eraser and scrub the back gold contacts one the Zumo and the pins on the cradle.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nesdspyder View Post
    My Zumo 590 quit working on my 2015 RT L. I think that it is a charging problem to the Garmin. Is there a fuse that could be blowen?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Remove from cradle. Open the back and remove the battery for one minute. Replace battery and push start button. Used this method on the 660 and the 550. Seemed to work every time. This completely shuts down the GPS and then re-boots.
    If you call Garmin Support this is the first thing they tell you.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

yes, took battery out for actually 10 minutes last night. put back in pushed the power button and it came on for a short period of time and said low battery and shut down on its own again. So either the battery is bad in the garmin or it is not charging on the bike. I will take a pencil eraser to the contacts to see if that does it. Thanks

And then of course go for a ride today.
    Last edited by nesdspyder; 05-26-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck; please let all of us know, what it takes to fix it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

When you turn the key on the garmin should power up and start charging the internal battery. If it does not the fuse in the harness is blown or something else is wrong.
    If it does startup so far so good. It can take several hours for the internal battery to fully charge. But it should have enough charge in 30 minutes or less to stop giving you the low battery warnings. If it still gives you warnings maybe the battery is bad. It happens.
    What can happen is when you turn on the ignition switch. The garmin will startup. But if it is not fully booted up and you turn off the ignition switch again. The garmin will not automatically turn itself off. If you happen not to notice. The battery will run dead. Lets hope it's just that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nesdspyder View Post
    yes, took battery out for actually 10 minutes last night. put back in pushed the power button and it came on for a short period of time and said low battery and shut down on its own again. So either the battery is bad in the garmin or it is not charging on the bike. I will take a pencil eraser to the contacts to see if that does it. Thanks

And then of course go for a ride today.

Plug the USB cord into your computer and see if it will charge the battery. Should do this automatically when plugged in. If it charges then the problem is in your connection or cradle. I assume the 590 came with the Spyder and was already wired. Is this correct? Are you using the cradle that was already mounted or did you retrofit to your Spyder? The cradle connections are all different on the 660-665-550-590.

Try cleaning all exposed contacts with a small rag and alcohol. If none of the above works of course the obvious is a bad power contact or bad battery. Call Garmin support if non of the other things work. I would try the USB on the computer first and see if you can get a full charge on the battery. It may be drained so low that it might not take a charge. It would still be under warranty I believe.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=jaherbst;1134875]
    Plug the USB cord into your computer and see if it will charge the battery. Should do this automatically when plugged in. If it charges then the problem is in your connection or cradle. I assume the 590 came with the Spyder and was already wired. Is this correct? Are you using the cradle that was already mounted or did you retrofit to your Spyder? The cradle connections are all different on the 660-665-550-590.

Try cleaning all exposed contacts with a small rag and alcohol. If none of the above works of course the obvious is a bad power contact or bad battery. Call Garmin support if non of the other things work. I would try the USB on the computer first and see if you can get a full charge on the battery. It may be drained so low that it might not take a charge. It would still be under warranty I believe.

Jack

I remove and hook up to a computer this would tell you if it the GPS or harness. If it is the harness get it done under warranty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My garmin seems to be working now. brought it in charged it. Took pencil eraser and cleaned the contacts. went for a couple rides, comes on when I turn the key on, so the fuse must be fine, along with the wiring harness. Thanks to all for the help!!

Spyder Garage

FWIW, about six months after I got my 590 I had a situation wherein each time I shut down my Spyder as the Zumo was shutting down it gave me a low battery warning. I did the cleaning routine on all the contacts, removed the battery, etc., to no avail. When I plugged the GPS into my computer to charge it the battery icon showed a bit less than half charge and would not get any better. A Garmin tech rep told me to charge it for 24 hours and report back -- same problem, battery would not fully charge. Garmin replaced the battery under warranty and I've had absolutely no problem since.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S