Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Why Wilbers shock over Elka or Fox??

Guys, I have received few questions when I have posted that I went by Wilvers shocks for my F3.. so i decided to do a video about it..
    here you go... dont hate me.. just personal opinion.. ohhh and yes i like to talk a lot
    have fun
    watch on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SpyderF3s/
    or here
    https://youtu.be/VnnXhaUhOCc

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know...

for the in depth video on the Wilber shocks. Gotta say they make an excellent product and a much broader range. You have great products over there and many we don't even know about. Being from south america where most of the products are european I saw a lot and imported a lot from there. Thanks again for the videos....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default my man

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    for the in depth video on the Wilber shocks. Gotta say they make an excellent product and a much broader range. You have great products over there and many we don't even know about. Being from south america where most of the products are european I saw a lot and imported a lot from there. Thanks again for the videos....
    Chupaca... one day i will go to South America, and I have to get to know you.. you live the life like a true Spyder Lover!!!! thanx for all of the comments that you do!!!! we all appreciate that!

Spyder Garage

I have seen Wilburs in person for other machines at trades hows. Nice looking stuff.

One thing about suspension, sometimes it is a lot less international than we think

Yes the Asian bikes often use Kayaba or Showa. European bikes often use Sachs, Ohlins, WP.

There has been some nice European suspension I wanted years ago made by Solva. For some crazy reason no one here wanted to import it.

Foxshox are proven, as are Elkas, Penskes and others. More easily dealt with here in the USA.

Ohlins is also pretty easy to deal with since they have a large facility in NC.

KYB and Showa are not impossible, just depends on what you need and for what bike.

In regards to WP, I have always found WP production suspension to lack that bit of finish detail and quality others easily find. They also tend to masters of taking a good design, making a modified copy and not having it work so good.

Also, many consumers are unaware that different tiers exist in the suspension market. Production suspension is simply that, suspension produced for an oem to meet a performance and cost pricepoint. Aftermarket suspension is normally one or two tiers better depending upon what you buy. As an example, an oem Foxshox on a vehicle could be a lot less performance than an aftermarket Foxshox on the same vehicle. The sticker does not mean they are the same.

This happens with Ohlins, Showa, KYB, WP also.

Spyder Garage

Martin...don't live there anymore am here in San Diego California. .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Have good friends in Connecticut from Slovakia and my sister in law is from Slovakia maybe I will get there someday. .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Default good points

great points!!! already looking at those Asian suspensions.. never heard about them.. now I know .. thanx man

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I have seen Wilburs in person for other machines at trades hows. Nice looking stuff.

One thing about suspension, sometimes it is a lot less international than we think

Yes the Asian bikes often use Kayaba or Showa. European bikes often use Sachs, Ohlins, WP.

There has been some nice European suspension I wanted years ago made by Solva. For some crazy reason no one here wanted to import it.

Foxshox are proven, as are Elkas, Penskes and others. More easily dealt with here in the USA.

Ohlins is also pretty easy to deal with since they have a large facility in NC.

KYB and Showa are not impossible, just depends on what you need and for what bike.

In regards to WP, I have always found WP production suspension to lack that bit of finish detail and quality others easily find. They also tend to masters of taking a good design, making a modified copy and not having it work so good.

Also, many consumers are unaware that different tiers exist in the suspension market. Production suspension is simply that, suspension produced for an oem to meet a performance and cost pricepoint. Aftermarket suspension is normally one or two tiers better depending upon what you buy. As an example, an oem Foxshox on a vehicle could be a lot less performance than an aftermarket Foxshox on the same vehicle. The sticker does not mean they are the same.

This happens with Ohlins, Showa, KYB, WP also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    great points!!! already looking at those Asian suspensions.. never heard about them.. now I know .. thanx man
    Not everyone of those companies makes Spyder suspension, but the do make stuff for two wheel motorcycles. Basically the post was about suspension in general.

If you are building a track day Spyder, find an Ohlins dealer to work with and see if they can build special dampers to fit the Spyder and valve it for you. Will not be inexpensive, but will be the best in my opinion if valved correctly.

With a little effort they should be able to dyno some OEM shocks to get a baseline on valving and dial it in from there.

Spyder Garage

Default thanx

@chupaca - anytime you will be around Slovakiam just write me a PM and we will def. meet.!!!
    @PMK - actually I am not really building a track day spyder.. but i just want to make it usable to my weight. and to be little bit better in corners.. and i think i did it for now