Spyder Garage

Default Just ordered Elka stage 2 rear shock

I was seriously contemplating the occasional 2 -up shock, but I know myself too well and went for the Elka stage 2. I have high hopes of course. We (wife and I) are about 287 lbs combined. I only have about 1000 miles on the f3 so far but, a couple of times I have heard the wifey (through the sena 10r headsets), go "uggg" after hitting some bumps. Not sure if we have actually bottomed out but from extensive reading on this site I know the rear shock is an issue. Basically, if she aint happy, I aint happy. So I will post install pics and reviews afterward.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cajunshredder View Post
    I was seriously contemplating the occasional 2 -up shock, but I know myself too well and went for the Elka stage 2. I have high hopes of course. We (wife and I) are about 287 lbs combined. I only have about 1000 miles on the f3 so far but, a couple of times I have heard the wifey (through the sena 10r headsets), go "uggg" after hitting some bumps. Not sure if we have actually bottomed out but from extensive reading on this site I know the rear shock is an issue. Basically, if she aint happy, I aint happy. So I will post install pics and reviews afterward.
    You would have bottomed out - if you check before you do the install you will see that when you are both onboard that the shock is already riding on the bump stop on the shaft.

Check also how much sag you have when you are both on board with the new shock; you will probably need to add preload. Happy to help you set it up when you get it.

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default definatelly

I love mine f3, love spyder, love BRP.. but the rear shock is such a cheap thing on the bike... I was told, then when we want to drive 2up, or when I want to drive aggressively, I need to buy upgrade shock.. well ques what.. I am 115kg 250lbs and the shock was not working at all even not driving like idiot.. So my question is.. why the hell they do sell bike worth of 22-24k with such a crap? seriously, its not worth more then 100$
    I went for Wilbers because its harder to find Elka here in EU. changing both, front and rear... I will also post here my feedback
    https://www.facebook.com/SpyderF3s/

Spyder Garage

You won't be disappointed this one made my wife and I very happy. It's been on since 350 miles.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I ordered the Elka Stage 5 with Hydraulic for the front and the Stage 5 with Hydraulic for the rear with also the Pre Load Adjuster.....can't wait to have them installed. The rear was custom made with longer lines so as to mount the Hydraulic and adjuster on the right side of my F3 on the frame above the brake pedal area.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    You would have bottomed out - if you check before you do the install you will see that when you are both onboard that the shock is already riding on the bump stop on the shaft.

Check also how much sag you have when you are both on board with the new shock; you will probably need to add preload. Happy to help you set it up when you get it.
    I will definately check that. And yes, I probably will need help with the preload. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    I have a problem that I hope some of you will have responses to, so thank you in advance for your assistance. I went though a local shop that came highly recommend as a knowledgable Spyder technician owned and operated it. I asked him to order new shocks for my F3S,
    due to my 250 lbs I needed something that wouldn't bottom out on me. I also have saddlebags and may on occasion ride 2 up. He picked a local shop, Race Tech, to build the new shocks.
    he gave me a 3 weeks turn around. Well I am at wits end, this is week 11 and still no shocks and the Spyder tech. Won't return any of my text or calls. I asked a mutual friend to assist but I am not sure that will settle it. I have decide enough is enough and I am going to take my business else where, but now I have to start all over again. The shocks that the new place wants to install are Elkas stage 2 front and rear. My issue is some on this site have had bad service from them as well so I feel stuck.
    Is the stage 2 enough shock for my weight, or should I move up to stage 4? I guess they don't have a stage 3 rear shock for the F3. Stage 2 w/ hyd or the stage 4 w/out? I ride in So.Cal. Mostly on side streets and back roads but have to ride freeways as well to get to most places.
    I have a very bad back and need a good suspension system so I can ride without a lot of extra pain.
    any help would me greatly appreciated. Thanks
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had trouble getting my Elka Stage 2 shock as well. Paid for it the second week of April and just got it today. The box is beaten up and there is a hole in one side of the box. I am not opening it until I get to my Spyder tech guy and we will open the box together.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    Hello,
    I have a problem that I hope some of you will have responses to, so thank you in advance for your assistance. I went though a local shop that came highly recommend as a knowledgable Spyder technician owned and operated it. I asked him to order new shocks for my F3S,
    due to my 250 lbs I needed something that wouldn't bottom out on me. I also have saddlebags and may on occasion ride 2 up. He picked a local shop, Race Tech, to build the new shocks.
    he gave me a 3 weeks turn around. Well I am at wits end, this is week 11 and still no shocks and the Spyder tech. Won't return any of my text or calls. I asked a mutual friend to assist but I am not sure that will settle it. I have decide enough is enough and I am going to take my business else where, but now I have to start all over again. The shocks that the new place wants to install are Elkas stage 2 front and rear. My issue is some on this site have had bad service from them as well so I feel stuck.
    Is the stage 2 enough shock for my weight, or should I move up to stage 4? I guess they don't have a stage 3 rear shock for the F3. Stage 2 w/ hyd or the stage 4 w/out? I ride in So.Cal. Mostly on side streets and back roads but have to ride freeways as well to get to most places.
    I have a very bad back and need a good suspension system so I can ride without a lot of extra pain.
    any help would me greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Hi,
    I recommend you buy a Rear Elka Stage 5 shock with the longer Hydraulic lines for the rear with also the Pre Load Adjuster.
    The rear was custom made with longer lines so as to mount the Hydraulic lines and adjuster on the right side of F3 on the frame above the brake pedal area, (same as Hitman5363 ordered in a post above you).
    If you weigh 250# & have the side luggage/topcase you need to add at least another 100#, (order the Stage 5 rear shock set up for a 350# guy).
    http://www.elkasuspension.com/produc...-f3-f3-s-2015/
    With the adjustable Hi speed & separate Low speed compression adjustment you can soften up the ride over small bumps, etc to suit you, help your back.
    You should try just the rear Elka stage 5 shock first to see if that helps with your back. (the F3 rear shock has same bottom bushing as the top bushing shown).
    The front stock Fox shocks 2015 F3 Spyder are pretty good at absorbing bumps.
    (I set up many rear shocks/springs/dampening on my Dirt bikes racing in SoCal Mojave Desert Dist. 37, B to V, in the 70's; wish I had a stage 5 Elka shock back then, ha).
    Give Len a call at Pitbull Powersports,417-863-1418, he may have a Elka Stage 5 rear shock, heavier spring in stock from Spyderfest;
    (Len is the best around at setting up Elka shocks for Spyders)!!
    Hope this info helps your decision.
    Jim

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 05-20-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Hi,
    I recommend you buy a Rear Elka Stage 5 shock with the longer Hydraulic lines for the rear with also the Pre Load Adjuster.
    The rear was custom made with longer lines so as to mount the Hydraulic lines and adjuster on the right side of F3 on the frame above the brake pedal area, (same as Hitman5363 ordered in a post above you).
    If you weigh 250# & have the side luggage/topcase you need to add at least another 100#, (order the Stage 5 rear shock set up for a 350# guy).
    http://www.elkasuspension.com/produc...-f3-f3-s-2015/
    With the adjustable Hi speed & separate Low speed compression adjustment you can soften up the ride over small bumps, etc to suit you, help your back.
    You should try just the rear Elka stage 5 shock first to see if that helps with your back. (the F3 rear shock has same bottom bushing as the top bushing shown).
    The front stock Fox shocks 2015 F3 Spyder are pretty good at absorbing bumps.
    (I set up many rear shocks/springs/dampening on my Dirt bikes racing in SoCal Mojave Desert Dist. 37, B to V, in the 70's; wish I had a stage 5 Elka shock back then, ha).
    Give Len a call at Pitbull Powersports,417-863-1418, he may have a Elka Stage 5 rear shock, heavier spring in stock from Spyderfest;
    (Len is the best around at setting up Elka shocks for Spyders)!!
    Hope this info helps your decision.
    Jim

Thanks for a great post- I think I will call Len and discuss what will work best for me. at 320lb. 6'9" I crush the rear suspension like a bug. My RT is fine with the air shock and pump but the F3-S is looking like an Elka candidate for sure. One question is regarding the extended hydraulic line to mount the pre-load adjuster up forward. Why there and not back somewhere by the passenger grab rail?
    many thanks,
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Default Stage 5 is overkill for most

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Hi,

Stage 5 is overkill for 95% of people, since it only gives the rider extra levels of damping adjustability which most will not understand or appreciate in use.

Stage 2 is fine for any weight, since it is the spring which is changed, not the damping controls, for additional weight.

For those who don't carry a passenger there is little need for a remote preload adjustment, since once preload is set according to rider/passenger/luggage weight, adding even 50 lbs of luggage will have a negligible effect, providing the static preload was set properly initially. That is where some Elka installs will fall short.