Spyder Garage

Default Parking, blind spot sensors

Siny10309 asked the question about blind spot mirrors awhile back. That got me thinking why not, anything to help you keep safe.

So I got this unit from Amazon:

I don't do videos like Finless, but here are pixs. I decided to put the sensors on the black part in the back, I only used 3 of the sensors. Now I'm thinking maybe put the other one in the front of the bike, for parking . I put the brain in the trunk, with the extra wire in the right speaker area. I ran the display wire along the frame to the cluster area, used a drill for the hole and then a dremel to elongate the hole as the little plugs are rectangle. I also ran the power from the power plugs in the front because the previous owner put in a 30amp fused power plug in the dash and I have used that for all of my power runs. A little 5/8" plug drill to cut the holes, but the sensors are designed for a thin location, so I used the drembel to make the hole area a little thinner and a glue gun to keep the sensors in place.

A car on the right 1.6 meters away

A car on the left less than a meter away.

Sensors mounted

Nothing along side or behind close enough to be a problem.

Wiring just below cluster, under dash cowling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default More pixs

What you need to tear off to access where you need to work and run wires

Hole saw that comes with it.

Location I stuck it in the trunk

You need to remove this screw to get better access behind black "bumper". Only the right side.

This unit is suppose to beep too, but it's a pathetic beep, you will never hear it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Siny10309 asked the question about blind spot mirrors awhile back. That got me thinking why not, anything to help you keep safe.

So I got this unit from Amazon:

I don't do videos like Finless, but here are pixs. I decided to put the sensors on the black part in the back, I only used 3 of the sensors. Now I'm thinking maybe put the other one in the front of the bike, for parking . I put the brain in the trunk, with the extra wire in the right speaker area. I ran the display wire along the frame to the cluster area, used a drill for the hole and then a dremel to elongate the hole as the little plugs are rectangle. I also ran the power from the power plugs in the front because the previous owner put in a 30amp fused power plug in the dash and I have used that for all of my power runs. A little 5/8" plug drill to cut the holes, but the sensors are designed for a thin location, so I used the drembel to make the hole area a little thinner and a glue gun to keep the sensors in place.

A car on the right 1.6 meters away

A car on the left less than a meter away.

Sensors mounted

Nothing along side or behind close enough to be a problem.

Wiring just below cluster, under dash cowling.
    Congratulations! Nice job!

Spyder Garage

I like tech stuff & that is neat, but I am a redneck Whats wrong with just turning your head? We cant become dependent on tech just to become lazy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    I like tech stuff & that is neat, but I am a redneck Whats wrong with just turning your head? We cant become dependent on tech just to become lazy
    We have met, the old fart, lucky to turn my head very far. Actually, I can and do, but love tech as belt and suspenders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is pretty cool Bill, the only trouble I have with it is that I would have to take my eyes completely off the road to look down where you have it mounted.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Nice job. It's like a GPS. You still have to read road signs and pay attention on where you're doing. It's just a tool

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is pretty cool Bill, the only trouble I have with it is that I would have to take my eyes completely off the road to look down where you have it mounted.
    I haven't tried it on the road yet, but I'm thinking that if the lights start flashing a glance will tell you which side, or you would just glance at your mirrors to see how close/etc. I'm thinking that it won't be a distraction, but who knows.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Good point! But, isn't the rpm, clock, radio display and speedometer in the the same spot? Imho all you need is a glance! Just like any other vehicle!
    Now you got me thinking! Why do the motor vehicle makers put it down there? Like I said you have a very good point!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post

I originally asked about the mirrors since I figure you are glancing at them anyway prior to turning your head. so if you are looking in your mirror and you see the light is red, you don't have to take your eyes of the road and turn your head since you know a car is already there.

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I haven't tried it on the road yet, but I'm thinking that if the lights start flashing a glance will tell you which side, or you would just glance at your mirrors to see how close/etc. I'm thinking that it won't be a distraction, but who knows.

wow great job! I wish I had the confidence to tackle a job like that.

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

I'm sort of a high tech redneck myself, neat idea. I can see where this can be very helpful to someone with limited mobility. Nice job.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Well done...

Nice set up and looks like it came from the factory that way... congrats
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A great idea.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by siny10309 View Post
    wow great job! I wish I had the confidence to tackle a job like that.
    You will never get that confidence any younger.

Whether you say "I can" or "I can't" either way you are correct.

There are video's and/or a Doc Riverside's PDF showing how to get the tupperware off, that's why I didn't show that. Just start looking, the biggest problem that I am having is extra bolts/pieces when I am done. I have a special box for those.

That and it takes longer than you would think, but in the end, you become more comfortable with your bike and YOUR ability to do stuff that you thought you couldn't. I was lucky, when I was young, I was poor. If I wanted something, I had to figure out the DIY way or do without. Back then it was go to the library or find someone that was kind enough to help you. Today there is Google, you have access to the knowledge of the world.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like it allot - great job
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing this. Way cool!

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Default Road Trip, total flop

I went out testing the blind spot sensors. They didn't really work at all for detecting cars beside you. One issue is that it only reads an object out 1.5m which is 5' at best. If you watch when you are driving in your lane and the other guy is in his lane, its more than 5'. It also appears that this unit needs a bit of time to "read" the object, its not instant.

So as I see it, what I did will work for parking when backing in, at that speed it does warn you at 3-4 ft. Of course it only cost $14 so what can you expect. Common sense says that if you spend more, it would be a greater distant and faster reading.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. A cheap lesson as far as I'm concerned.