Spyder Garage

Default PA to Colorado and back in 30 days or less

We are heading out on Friday (May 13) YIKES, just realized it's Friday the 13th.. oh well.
    The hubs on his Voyager and me on my 2015 Red Pearl RT!!
    Heading to S. Colorado, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, other touristy areas, then, on to N. Colorado
    for more touring.
    If you have ideas/suggestions of roads, etc. to check out on the way, we'd be up for some ideas.
    We are used to long trips, Arkansas and N. Carolina - slayed the dragon!!
    2015 Spyder RT Limited, Red Pearl
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Additional turn signals mounted behind speaker grill
    12v cable for heated clothing
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT
    Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Have a great ride and be safe. Can't help you on the stops on the proposed route.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Be very aware of your fuel at the end of Oklahoma and beginning of Texas, in the evening gas stations are few and far between.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of great roads in Colorado. Suggested rides would be the loop of the San Juans that goes from Durango, Ouray (Hwy 550 - Million Dollar Hwy) Telluride (Co 145), Dolores and back to Durango. As well CO 141 is a little known gem on the far western edge of the state. Another nice road is Durango east over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, then north on 149 to Gunnison. From Gunnison, head west northwest on the North Rim of the Black Canyon, then over the Grand Mesa on CO65, or east from Gunnison to Salida, then north over Independence Pass to Aspen or straight up to Vail via Leadville on CO24.

In northern CO, CO131 between I-70 and Steamboat Springs, then east to Walden on CO14 continuing east to Ft Collins via the Poudre Canyon. Or turn south at Walden and follow the signs to Grand Lake and Rocky Mtn National Park. On the east side of the park you can take the Peak to Peak Hwy from Estes Park south (Hwys7/72/119) back to I-70 and east into Denver.

Of course time permitting, there are landmarks like Pikes Peak, Mt Evans hwy, Mesa Verde, and Colorado National Monument etc to ride/see.

There are tons more great twisty roads here, it would take more time than 30 days to try em all.
    Last edited by asp125; 05-09-2016 at 11:13 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte17078 View Post
    We are heading out on Friday (May 13) YIKES, just realized it's Friday the 13th.. oh well.
    The hubs on his Voyager and me on my 2015 Red Pearl RT!!
    Heading to S. Colorado, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, other touristy areas, then, on to N. Colorado
    for more touring.
    If you have ideas/suggestions of roads, etc. to check out on the way, we'd be up for some ideas.
    We are used to long trips, Arkansas and N. Carolina - slayed the dragon!!
    I hope you have lodging reservations in hand. I found out last year, about this same time, that starting the first of May everything around Grand Canyon is booked solid months ahead. I managed to find a room in Flagstaff and a camping spot at Flintstones Bedrock Campground a few miles south of the South Entrance. I couldn't find anything, campground or hotel, in the St. George, UT area so I just came home via Las Vegas. I think the north rim of the GC is closed until June. It's a thousand feet higher than the south rim.

I had no problem finding hotel rooms in the Colorado Rockies last week.

Take a look at my travelog from last week for a few pics of the Rockies. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...m-not-home-yet!
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 05-10-2016 at 01:07 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Mac!

You coulda called- we have a guest room for you! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    You coulda called- we have a guest room for you! Joe
    Thanks! If I remember correctly I did passingly think about calling you but it was late and I wanted to stay on the north side of Vegas & not deal with the traffic. It'll be my luck you'll now say you live near Nellis AFB! I stayed near there!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Can't wait to get there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I hope you have lodging reservations in hand. I found out last year, about this same time, that starting the first of May everything around Grand Canyon is booked solid months ahead. I managed to find a room in Flagstaff and a camping spot at Flintstones Bedrock Campground a few miles south of the South Entrance. I couldn't find anything, campground or hotel, in the St. George, UT area so I just came home via Las Vegas. I think the north rim of the GC is closed until June. It's a thousand feet higher than the south rim.

I had no problem finding hotel rooms in the Colorado Rockies last week.

Take a look at my travelog from last week for a few pics of the Rockies. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...m-not-home-yet!
    Your pictures and descriptions are amazing!! Can't wait to get there!! I'll share some pics when we get back.
    We are staying with friends and relatives while we are out there. Thanks for the lodging info, that's good to know!
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT
    Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the ride. Sounds great.

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Lots of great roads in Colorado. Suggested rides would be the loop of the San Juans that goes from Durango, Ouray (Hwy 550 - Million Dollar Hwy) Telluride (Co 145), Dolores and back to Durango. As well CO 141 is a little known gem on the far western edge of the state. Another nice road is Durango east over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs, then north on 149 to Gunnison. From Gunnison, head west northwest on the North Rim of the Black Canyon, then over the Grand Mesa on CO65, or east from Gunnison to Salida, then north over Independence Pass to Aspen or straight up to Vail via Leadville on CO24.

In northern CO, CO131 between I-70 and Steamboat Springs, then east to Walden on CO14 continuing east to Ft Collins via the Poudre Canyon. Or turn south at Walden and follow the signs to Grand Lake and Rocky Mtn National Park. On the east side of the park you can take the Peak to Peak Hwy from Estes Park south (Hwys7/72/119) back to I-70 and east into Denver.

Of course time permitting, there are landmarks like Pikes Peak, Mt Evans hwy, Mesa Verde, and Colorado National Monument etc to ride/see.

There are tons more great twisty roads here, it would take more time than 30 days to try em all.

WOW I was going to chime-in but this kind of covers it just forgot one thing we are still getting SNOW in the high country. jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah .. independence pass and trail ridge road, Mt Evans, & the top of Pikes Peak usually open around memorial day. They are that high up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Thanks! If I remember correctly I did passingly think about calling you but it was late and I wanted to stay on the north side of Vegas & not deal with the traffic. It'll be my luck you'll now say you live near Nellis AFB! I stayed near there!
    As a matter of fact we do live near the AFB. You completely avoid the spaghetti bowl traffic if you come to our house.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default What he said.....

Lived out there 6 years and those are spectacular rides!
    jb
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Post pictures when you can.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Great trip, so far!!!

Thanks for the helpful hints for our ride!
    We made it to Colorado with no major incidences, just alot of rain.
    The Grand Canyon is beautiful and beyond words!!!
    The wind on the ride from Flagstaff to the canyon was challenging!!
    Saw an elk about 10 feet from the road coming from the canyon, he was beautiful! Have enjoyed a boat ride on Lake Powell, rafting on the Colorado, Moab, Arches Park, Mesa Verde, rode through Wolf Creek Pass and back to Dolores and today rode route 550 from Durango to Grand Junction. The most beautiful and intense ride I have had, so far (that includes the Dragon).
    Tomorrow, heading to the Rocky Mountain National Park area. (about 3500 myles, so far)
    The best thing that I did to get ready for the trip was to buy the Gerbing heated coat.
    It has kept me very comfy! AND daily stretching and exercises to get my bod in some type of condition
    and comfort between rides
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT
    Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Default Las Vegas

If you get out this way, call. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

16 posts .. and still no pictures!

JLohPhotos

Spyder Garage

Default Million Dollar Highway... earns it's name!!!

16 posts .. and still no pictures!

Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT
    Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    If you get out this way, call. Joe
    Hi Joe,
    Missed you, didn't go further West than the Grand Canyon.
    Maybe next time/year.
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT