Spyder Garage

Default Fox podium 2.0 rear shock settings

I just installed Bajaron sway bars and the fox podium adjustable rear shocks. I am wondering how others are using the adjustability of this shock.
    What low speed compression setting are you using for solo riding?
    What low speed setting are you using for passenger riding?
    What high speed compression setting are you using for solo riding?
    What high speed setting are you using for passenger riding?

If you are comfortable doing so, please include weight of rider and passenger. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I was unaware that fox was making rear shocks for spyders, thanks for the heads up. I will be watching this thread.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post

If Honda ever comes out with their reverse trike, I am outa here!!! Sadly I think it will take some direct competition to force them to do the right thing.....

Mark
    Boy, I know I would be upset if I lost a customer that kept bad-mouthing my product.

Spyder Garage

Fox made a shock upgrade for the rear when the F3 came out, not sure if they are now.. I chose not to order it after speaking to them about the spring they use. I was told that they were using a 160 lb spring just like the OEM per Mother BRP's specs. This meant that other than adding adjustability, it is still a piece of crap that will jar your spine when hitting the smallest bumps just like the Sachs does...

The rear shock and the resulting frame crack issues are an engineering defect. Mother BRP is crafty, I will give them that. Instead of accepting responsibility they engineer a new and improved shock with a heavier spring AND MAKE OWNERS BUY IT!!!

Did the same think with the belt vibration... They tell the press after reviewers write up the defect that they are working on addressing the issue... I think their fix is to do nothing long enough that owners will buy dampners out of their own pocket.. Problem solved and they didn't have to spend a dime.......

If Honda ever comes out with their reverse trike, I am outa here!!! Sadly I think it will take some direct competition to force them to do the right thing.....

Mark
    The spring on the fox podium 2.0 is heavier. There is also another heavier shock that they sell that is not as heavy duty as the podium 2.0. This other shock May have the same spring. So we all know BRP dropped the ball in on the rear shock issue. I read a lot of complaints over this and understandably so. I am just looking to see if anyone else is using the fox podium 2.0 and how they are adjusting it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have 2 F3-S: one stock and one with upgraded Fox shocks all around and an RT torsion bar with solid Heim joint linkages. I also run 25 psi air pressure in the front and 30 - 35 psi in the rear. In full riding gear, I'm about 175#. We don't ride 2-up. I do run hard, but not quite SethO-hard.

I have tried to adjust the rear Fox Podium settings but have gone back to the factory default settings. Know the adjustments are rebound-only; compression damping is fixed. My spring preload was left at factory setting. I have saddle bags which are 20 - 30# total.

I have compressed to the damper rubber 1 time in about 12K miles on either bike. I am very satisfied. Perhaps putting 300 to 500# pounds of people and luggage on the back of a sport-type bike is too much.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Perhaps Mother BRP should have informed potential buyers they two seated bike was really only designed to carry half the weight they advertise and only one rider.......

mark
    Mark, you seem kind of upset about this. I am curious at how you arrive at "half the weight they advertise and only one rider......."

If, as you assert, the design limit was 219.5lbs, then there would be huge problems for a lot of people, myself included. I tend to bounce between 185lbs and 190lbs. If the design limit was as you suggest, I would be getting close to the maximum by myself.

I never used to ride two up because my old RS-S didn't have a passenger backrest and I was always afraid a passenger would slide off if they were not paying attention. My F3 has the short backrest that keeps the butt on the seat and I have taken many adult passengers for rides. The only things I noticed were slightly longer braking distance and a tad bit of heavier lateral pull on tight corners. If I have my younger niece or nephew on board, It's like they are not even there performance wise.

According to the CDC, between 2007 and 2010, the average male in the US was 195lbs and the average female was 166lbs. So, the average couple in the US would be a 361lbs load on the bike. 78lbs below the maximum 439lbs listed online and in the owners manual for the F3.

Again, I am curious why you think BRP would purposely mislead buyers with grossly inaccurate safety specifications and how you arrived at "half the weight they advertise and only one rider......."

It just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Spyder Garage

Mark has been butt hurt over this issue from the beginning and never misses an opportunity to post negatively about it over and over and over... I forget the post he made about how much he weighs but that aside,,,, we all modify everything we own to a degree to accommodate our taste as well as comfort.. A Spyder is no different and if he's so unhappy with his purchase,, it would lead us to wonder why he hasn't sold such a source of displeasure... My guess is Mark is not happy with a lot of things #BOOHOO

Spyder Garage

I am 270 pounds in my underwear... By the time I add gear and my small tool kit, etc, I pack right around 300lbs onto my RS-S. I am getting ready to install my third rear shock in almost 4 years, with over 37,000 miles on the odometer. I know that my wife and I are more than the bike is supposed to carry, but we do ride 2-up at times. I am guessing that a heavier spring is probably as important, if not more so, as the shock. Do I appreciate having to change shocks? Not really. Do I understand why I will have to? Of course. Then again, I have also come to the realization that I need to do the work on my spyder because none of these technicians know/care enough about the model to make it there only concern. I am learning fast, gaining confidence, and thoroughly enjoying the repair/mod time I am putting in. I only asked because I would like to have a comfortable ride. The good news is, changing the rear shock on my machine is fairly simple.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps Mother BRP should have informed potential buyers they two seated bike was really only designed to carry half the weight they advertise and only one rider.......

mark
    I think my BS meter just pegged out. We all are allowed our opinions. Mine are quite different from yours and I quite thoroughly enjoy my F3-S machines. Are they perfect? Nope. Neither is my H-D and they have almost 115 years of building motorcycles.

Perhaps you should read and honor your own tag line with respect to the way you jump on everyone's comments as being wrong or insignificant.

Respectfully different,
    Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap