Thread: Hand Brake

Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

Well I finally finished sorting the hand brake on my Spyder. I used the same approach detailed in the old thread on this site combining a Honda XS650 brake lever and master cylinder with the Cleves 375-300 slave cylinder.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tive-to-Cables

I'm really pleased with the result as I was expecting the pull to be a bit heavy but it's no different a normal motorbike brake. It piggy backs onto the existing system so the foot brake still works the same. If you use the handbrake then the foot pedal moves down but if you use the foot pedal the handbrake doesn't move (which is what you want).

The original thread has some great photo's in it but here's a few from mine that help show the setup:

I tried to make sure that the direction of travel for the push rod was a straight as possible.

I couldn't find a clevis large enough so this had to be fabricated.

It looks a bit as if BRP may have planned to do something like this themselves at some point because there were two points perfect for mounting the bracket for the slave cylinder.

You'll notice the bracket has been strengthened with some triangular bracing, if that wasn't there then the bracket would definitely bend when the brakes were applied

I had to add a spacer to the hand lever to push it out far enough from the bars to not clash with the throttle body (used the same approach as the original thread).

You'll notice how I've also had to space the throttle body out a bit so that adjuster bolt on the lever doesn't clash. I'm going to replace that bolt with a grub nut which will mean that can go back to it's original position.

One issue I did find was that the brake lever could potentially hit the light flasher button on that side - I ended up twisting the throttle body slightly to stop that being a problem.

The original thread showed people using a banjo for the brake pipe but I found a straight coupling worked fine.

I still need to make a little cover for that bleed nipple

I would have preferred a 90 degree banjo at this end but that's the only fitting I could get. The brake hose was custom made, without the fittings it was 1.5 meters long. You definitely wouldn't want it any shorter with a fitting like this (I originally did the measurements based on a 90 degree banjo at this end).

Attached Images Attached Images