Spyder Garage

Default Who Has Installed These Running Lights on their Spyder?

Need some help with how to mount these running lights....does anyone have these on their Spyder?

I was told they mount to the upper A-Arms on the RT.....was told to remove plastic cover on top of A-Arm and find the approx. 5/16th hole in A-Arm and mount to that. The supplied bolt is not close to being long enough to go through metal A-Arm and the A-Arm cover so I thought perhaps they mount differently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Synthetic; 05-05-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

You will have to make some supports depending on where you want to mount them. Some go for the A arms but there is a lot of movement there...Here's what i
    I did.... Did have to put a backing plate cause it is all pastic but they have worked well for four years now....

On both sides with the switches on the bars

This is on an RS....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Mounted to upper A Arms

My wife has a 2014 RTS. I mounted driving lights similar to what you show on the upper Arms using the holes you mention. No problem with a lot of movement.
    Last edited by Starrider; 05-05-2016 at 08:47 PM.
    Spyder Mods: 23"ultra touring windshield, SpyderAttitude Exhaust, BRP fog Lights, Can Am Wind Deflectors, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Pyle Amplifier w/wired remote, 4x6 Pioneer Speakers, Amber GlorRyders, Spyderpops Missing Air Dam, Joe Florida Amber Accent lighting, Misty Mountain Sheepskin Seat cushion, Custom Dynamics 4" Risers, Street Magic Highway Footrest Brackets,Spyder Footrests, Spyder Driver Footpegs, Spyder Brake Cover, Spyder Shifter Cover, Can Am Hard Bags

Spyder Garage

Haven't installed lights like that, but they do look nice. What I did was install the TricLED Daytime Running Lights high density LED strips on my upper A-frame arms on my RT. I wanted something that would make me more visible during daylight hours, and they do that, I think. They are very bright.

Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users bruce.gagliolo's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Need some help with how to mount these running lights....does anyone have these on their Spyder?

I was told they mount to the upper A-Arms on the RT.....was told to remove plastic cover on top of A-Arm and find the approx. 5/16th hole in A-Arm and mount to that. The supplied bolt is not close to being long enough to go through metal A-Arm and the A-Arm cover so I thought perhaps they mount differently.
    Where did you purchase these lights?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I bought them from Pitbull Powersports in Springfield, MO.....I got them installed today and they are great! Really, really bright...did a test ryde tonight and they really do light up the road in front of you....if someone can't see my Spyder coming down the road....they have their eyes closed....

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.gagliolo View Post
    Where did you purchase these lights?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Hi Synthetic

Re: I got them installed today and they are great!

How about some closeup photos of the install?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) How did you wire them? What brings them on?
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Mounting brackets can be found in Amazon. Look up antenna mounting brackets. Several different styles. The best way to wire use the same type of plugs that are on the Spyder. Look on the a-arm the wire feeding the fender lights has one on it. Also available on good old Amazon. Use LEDs very low power draw. LEDs also available on Amazon. I used a six light three above & three below style. Around $34.00. They come in flood or spot light. Your choice. I've had them on my 2012 RT-S for a year now with no problem.

Spyder Garage

I'll try to take some pics of them tomorrow. The mounting bracket comes with them. I mounted then under the upper A-Arm. There is a screw that goes through the metal A-Arm and into the plastic A-Arm cover. I just removed that screw and ran the screw through the mounting bracket and tightened it up and they were mounted. I tapped into the running lights using a previously installed "Y" coupler like you get with the lighted Bumpskid from SpyderPops...it was a very easy install and let me tell you....these things are BRIGHT!

Spyder Garage

I just need to hide the wires and it's done....
    Not sure why it keeps turning my pictures sideways...sorry

Spyder Garage

I mounted 6inch LED driving lights. Use the bottom bolt for the shock. Works good

Spyder Garage

Hi Synthetic,

Re: Not sure why it keeps turning my pictures sideways...sorry

I really do not know why so many people are having trouble with sideways photos.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Load them onto your computer & get them oriented as you want them to look like then upload them to your message

2. Don't just post them directly from some device

Jerry Baumchen

PS) That is a nice location.

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Haven't installed lights like that, but they do look nice. What I did was install the TricLED Daytime Running Lights high density LED strips on my upper A-frame arms on my RT. I wanted something that would make me more visible during daylight hours, and they do that, I think. They are very bright.
    Rob, I looked on the tricledusa.com web site but did not find the Daytime Running Lights. Could you point me to the correct section of their web site. Thanks.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Jerry,
    I took the picture with my phone and emailed to myself and saved to my Macbook laptop and the orientation never changed even when I uploaded it to SpyderLovers. It changed orientation as it was posted to SL....not sure why it would do that but it has done it with the last 3 pictures I have posted.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Synthetic,

Re: Not sure why it keeps turning my pictures sideways...sorry

I really do not know why so many people are having trouble with sideways photos.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Load them onto your computer & get them oriented as you want them to look like then upload them to your message

2. Don't just post them directly from some device

Jerry Baumchen

PS) That is a nice location.

Spyder Garage

Hi Synthetic,

Re: It changed orientation as it was posted to SL....not sure why it would do that but it has done it with the last 3 pictures I have posted.

Then I have no idea. I just saved your picture to MY PICTURES on my desktop computer, rotated it, saved it ( the rotated version ) & loaded it into my post.

Anyone else out there have an idea or two on what is causing this?

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default eyes closed

if someone can't see my Spyder coming down the road....they have their eyes closed....

That's the problem - people driving without looking at the road. Even with their eyes open. Texting, doing nails, shaving, reading etc.
    You are doing the right thing to make yourself more noticeable.
    Good luck!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Synthetic,

Re: It changed orientation as it was posted to SL....not sure why it would do that but it has done it with the last 3 pictures I have posted.

Then I have no idea. I just saved your picture to MY PICTURES on my desktop computer, rotated it, saved it ( the rotated version ) & loaded it into my post.

Anyone else out there have an idea or two on what is causing this?

Jerry Baumchen
    A Mac will keep the same orientation as an iPhone, it will also correct the orientation for viewing. But on Windows or a different format, you have to rotate them manually. They will stay that way though. Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodyaa View Post
    A Mac will keep the same orientation as an iPhone, it will also correct the orientation for viewing. But on Windows or a different format, you have to rotate them manually. They will stay that way though. Ron

I use a Samsung Galaxy Note phone to take the picture and either a Macbook Pro laptop or my IMac to post them…kinda strange that the orientation changes between uploading to SpyderLovers and posting picture on SpyderLovers…

Spyder Garage

Hi Synthetic,

Re: …kinda strange that the orientation changes between uploading to SpyderLovers and posting picture on SpyderLovers…

Last year my daughter ( who can make a computer sing ) was helping me load some photos onto an Autotrader ad. She had taken the photos with her phone, we then loaded them onto my computer for orientation, etc. There was this one photo that simply would not stay oriented no matter what we did or how many times we tried. We finally just deleted it & went with what we had for the ad.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Any hi-tech whizbangers out there with a thought or two on this?

2008 GS SE-5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mounted my D2 Driving lights on My 2015 RT . I mounted the driving lights on the plastic A-Arm cover. I did not drill through A-Arm nor did I remove the plastic cover.
    I drilled through the plastic a-Arm covers and used very large washers to spread out the pressure of the bolts on the A-arm cover.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Mounted my D2 Driving lights on My 2015 RT . I mounted the driving lights on the plastic A-Arm cover. I did not drill through A-Arm nor did I remove the plastic cover.
    I drilled through the plastic a-Arm covers and used very large washers to spread out the pressure of the bolts on the A-arm cover.

Don't they a lot when riding due to the natural up and down movment of the A-arm? I tought about doing that but i figured they would move and shake too much, if they don't i will do it!! i like the set up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You will have to make some supports depending on where you want to mount them. Some go for the A arms but there is a lot of movement there...Here's what i
    I did.... Did have to put a backing plate cause it is all pastic but they have worked well for four years now....

On both s
    ides with the switches on the bars

This is on an RS....
    Where did you find the switches? need to buy some for the Spyder and my other bikes

Spyder Garage

Got then online funny named place for electric stuff will see if I can find the name but Google handlebar switches they will pop up....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Default Just got home....

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post
    Where did you find the switches? need to buy some for the Spyder and my other bikes

easternbeaver.com is where I got them...told you it was a funny name for an electic company....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    easternbeaver.com is where I got them...told you it was a funny name for an electic company....
    Ha ha, that is where i bought the switch bypass for ,y Rocket, thanks for the info, will get on it right away!