Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Purchase Advice

Greetings from a newbie!

I own several Ski-Doo's and have decided to pull the trigger on a Spyder to extend my sled-type experience beyond 8 - 12 weeks a year. I've been thinking about it the past year or so and have decided to finally join in on the fun you guys are all having!

I took (and passed) MTI's 3 Wheel Motorcycle Training Course last weekend that entitles me to Florida's 3WMC Endorsement (I split time between Cape Coral, FL and Pittsburgh, PA).

It was a great way to get some seat time on a Spyder and get the basic skills I need to get started. I had a great time and as I hoped, the Spyder gave me that sled feeling.... except with exceptional handling and breaking capabilities!!!

I am looking at the RT Limited since my wife and are trail cruisers / saddle baggers when we sled. I'm in my early 50's and well past my speed demon days and just like to cruise so that is leading me to the RT Limited.

I also have a Ski-Doo Enduro with the Air Adjustable Suspension and love the adjustability so that is also pointing me to the Limited.

My wife also loves sledding and she has a Sportster. I never had the desire for a 2- wheeler but the Spyder has intrigued me for a couple years because I thought it would be more like a sled experience than a 2-wheel experience. I can see us both spending time up front and on back so that is another reason for the model choice.

I am either going to go for a 2016 or a 2015 leftover if I can find one. My challenge is the nearest dealer is 45 minutes away and other dealers are 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. My Ski-Doo dealer is 10 min away but he doesn't sell Spyders.

What type of pricing can I expect to consider it a good deal?

I know there is a promo on 2015's. I also know from past experience with BRP dealers that pricing can vary widely. Some charge freight and / or setup and some don't. Some discount accessories at time of purchase, etc.

Anything else I should be aware of when shopping for the RT Limited and Spyder dealers in general?

Any reliability issues / concerns with the Air Shock?

I have been reading threads the past couple weeks and enjoy the site! It is a wealth of information; much like DooTalk. I have already read the Do's and Don'ts thread and it had some great tips.

I'm looking forward to participating on this site and I can't wait to find a Spyder and start riding!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

My dealer is 11 hours away towing the Spyder, but that is my choice.
    I'd check around at different dealers. You should get more input from folks on this website that live in your area.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Cavman.... I'm going to be buying it in the Pittsburgh, PA area most likely.

Spyder Garage

If you can find a 2015 you are most likely to get a better deal since it is a leftover. Expect less of a deal on a 2016. How much you get off will depend on how eager you are or how greedy the dealer is.

Try to arrange your own financing if you can get a better deal than what the dealer is offering. Beware of dealer financing. They usually make a couple % in points which is then added to your bill (dealer reserve).

Go for an extended warranty (they buy), or some extra accessories. Don't pay freight or set up fees. Doc fees over 25.00 are a rip off.

No trade in is good if possible. They usually lowball you on the value--another place where the dealer can make money on the deal.

Any deal you drive away happy from, is a good deal.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Well

It's a hit and miss type of shopping. Don"t be afraid of going for a trip to get the best deal, the nice part is the trip home....but where ever you get it welcome to the spyder world....your going to have a blast...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since you're already used to sleddin'; the Spyder ought to fit you like a second skin!
    Try to not focus on price alone. The dealer that ultimately will give you the best service after the sale, is the one that you need to be taking the closest look at...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Judge64 View Post
    Thanks Cavman.... I'm going to be buying it in the Pittsburgh, PA area most likely.

If you are looking in that area I would suggest you make the drive to Hanover PA to Motosportsinc. It is probably the most talked about dealer in this part of the country. I just purchased an F3 Limited and they gave a good price and a trade in that I could not refuse. I have also heard nothing but positive comments about there service department. I have several dealers close by and I drove 2 hours for the purchase.

I would also suggest you try out an F3 T or F3 Limited before buying an RT. The RT may end up being your choice but I think the F3 Limited will not disappoint you either. Motosportsinc is having there demodays event this Saturday May 7th.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer is 300 miles away from me. The closest one is 130 miles, but I prefer Pitbull. I know some here have purchased from a long distance, flown to pick it up and then rode it home. Also, most dealers will ship the Spyder to you, some for no additional cost.

Good luck in your search. Don't forget to post pics when you get one.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CHECK HERE

.......These folks are excellent on pricing and all dealers have to provide service so .....They are also Sponsors on this site ---IMotorsports .....check the AD on the home page for current offerings .... PS they ship for FREE and don't screw you with any BS x-tra charges like some dealers will.........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fl Purchase

I bought my 2015 F3 in Fort Myers Fl., real close to you in Cape Coral. I looked at Spyders in Cycle Trader and saw that there was a SE6 Spyder at Sun Sports Cycle in Fort Myers for $15,499.00. I went in and talked to Bryant, he showed me one for $20,000.00 and said if I could show him the one I saw in Cycle Trader for $15.499.00, he'd look up the VIN and find it. Turns out it was the same one he showed me for $20,000.00. He said sometimes ads are placed in Cycle Trader and they don't know about them
    Bottom line, do your research, and if you are in the area, check out Sun Sports.
    BTW, I've owned a Harley and a Victory, and this is the most comfortable, best handling bike of them all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ride sleds myself (although riding this winter was non existent). You'll love the Spyder. It's just like riding a sled (can't jump it though).

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I found a left-over 2015 RT Limited (White w/ Semi-Automatic) in California for $26,516 OTD (plus tax when I register it). I am currently getting pricing to have it shipped. The price they had listed was $24,999 so they added about $1500 for prep, destination charge and doc fees but all-in-all that seems to be good price.

I just missed a used 2015 RTL on Craigslist with 500 miles that was listed for $26,800 (before any haggling) at a motorsports dealer in the area so the $26,516 price for new 2015 with a 2-year warranty sounds pretty good.

I am heading over to a dealer in Youngstown, OH this afternoon to look at their 2016 RTL's and get some pricing. That way I can see if the 2015 shipped is still a better deal than the 2016.

I'll keep you posted!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I found a left-over 2015 RT Limited (White w/ Semi-Automatic) in California for $26,516 OTD (plus tax when I register it). I am currently getting pricing to have it shipped. The price they had listed was $24,999 so they added about $1500 for prep, destination charge and doc fees but all-in-all that seems to be good price.

I just missed a used 2015 RTL on Craigslist with 500 miles that was listed for $26,800 (before any haggling) at a motorsports dealer in the area so the $26,516 price for new 2015 with a 2-year warranty sounds pretty good.

I am heading over to a dealer in Youngstown, OH this afternoon to look at their 2016 RTL's and get some pricing. That way I can see if the 2015 shipped is still a better deal than the 2016.

I'll keep you posted!

You can save $10,000 by looking at this in the for sale section. looks practically new and includes extended warranty.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...S-SE6-For-Sale

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Happy hunting and
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Well.... I pulled the trigger!

I was 99% sure I was getting a white RT limited but I ended up buying a 2016 RT Special Series.

I had them add the GPS and the high vented windshield.

I got it out the door for $28550 (bought it out of state so I didn't pay tax yet).

I pick it up next Saturday so I'll post pics then.

I saw the Special Series on the website but I wasn't considering it. When I saw it In person, I was hooked.

I saw a dealer last night and they didn't move much on the price. The dealer today was willing to negotiate and even told me about a $700 rebate BRP rolled out May 1 on the RT. I missed it completely but the sales guy today told me about it.

I think I got a good deal on a 2016. I had a deal worked up on a 2015 RTL that was $26500 out the door but I would have had to ship it from California. I would have had another $1400 in shipping and insurance in it so I think this worked out ok and the dealer is only about 45 minutes away.

Now I have to wait a week to get her home!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .......These folks are excellent on pricing and all dealers have to provide service so .....They are also Sponsors on this site ---IMotorsports .....check the AD on the home page for current offerings .... PS they ship for FREE and don't screw you with any BS x-tra charges like some dealers will.........Mike
    I was going to buy a new RT from them before I got a deal on a used one. They had the best prices I could find anywhere.

Oh....edit. I just saw that you bought the RT. Congratulations! You will love it!
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BARGAIN RT

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfz09 View Post
    I was going to buy a new RT from them before I got a deal on a used one. They had the best prices I could find anywhere.

Oh....edit. I just saw that you bought the RT. Congratulations! You will love it!
    He also missed the bargain in Louisiana......A lady there was selling Her 2014 RT- S with SE trans for $16,000 +/- the other day here.......only 5000 miles ..............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well.... I pulled the trigger! I was 99% sure I was getting a white RT limited but I ended up buying a 2016 RT Special Series.

And now: the FUN begins!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your new Spyder. I am sure you will really enjoy it.

Spyder Garage

Well..... I picked up the new RT-S Special Series yesterday. Wouldn't you know the weather was complete crap...... Temps in the 50's, rain and wind. I picked it up in my enclosed snowmobile trailer to get it home.

Once we got home the rain was off and on so we decided we couldn't wait and took it for a short spin. We got a little wet on the way back but it was worth it!

It was my first time out at typical speeds. The course I took only had us up to about 20mph. Took a few minutes to get used to but I started to get comfortable with everything in just a few miles and it began to feel a little like my sled. I'll need to take several short cruises to keep getting the feel along with more confidence and experience with it.

It is very stable. Had my wife on the back and couldn't even tell she was there. She said it feels like a bike when sitting on the back but doesn't feel like she is riding a bike when she is driving.

Weather in low 50's today and less chance of rain so we are going to try and get out again. We both are going to be traveling a lot ver the next two weeks for business and to head to our place in Florida over Memorial Day so I am only going to get a couple days on it and then won't be able to ride it again until after June 6th..

I built a new heated 3 1/2 car garage two years ago and thought I had plenty of room for my wife's truck, my SUV, our sleds, her Harley, our boat and typical garage stuff. I was just able to get the Spyder into it last night. I am officially out of room now!

Here are some pics of it and my wife on it...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Awesome!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!