Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Another 12V outlet thread

I've got the mount installed for a cell phone so I can use it for GPS. Question now is how to power it for longer trips. Secondarily, I want to use the outlet to be able to plug in a battery tender easily. So, I've settled on the powerlet cigarette socket (http://www.powerlet.com/product/pane...rette-socket/6). So the next question is, and the thing I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with is, on the RS-S (mine is a 2010), how do you get the black plastic panel around the instrument cluster off? I will run the outlet directly to the battery using the fused battery tender ring terminals.

I want to install it in the left spot as in this picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

All you need to do is pop the clocks out and that will give you plenty of space to do what you need to do. I'll nip out and take a couple of photos on how to do it. I've got one mounted on the left just like you want it.

Spyder Garage

There are two tabs at the top of the clocks and if you undo these and move the top of the clocks forward then they will come out giving you lots of space to get behind the black plastic bit.

In the manual it tells you that you need to remove the screen and safety card to get to these but I've made a simple tool that makes it easier, yes it's a tea spoon where the end has been bent over:-) Simply push the spoon in at the point shown to unfasten the clip and pull towards you, then do the same on the other side, you'll feel a small notch in the top of the gauges at the right point.

When putting the gauges back in just get bottom part in first and push the top back in until it clicks. 10 second job to add or remove them and plenty of space behind for wiring fuses etc.

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's awesome! Thanks so much.

Spyder Garage

that is a specialty tool!!! you should see if snap-on would buy the plans for it!!
    just kidding thats using what you have available

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did get this install done and it turned out well. Battery tender is doing its thing! I will say that it's unlikely that I'll be doing business with Powerlet again however. I paid for 2nd day shipping when I ordered on Thursday evening, expecting it here on Saturday. It was finally delivered on Tuesday. When I contacted Powerlet, I got a response from Phil saying:

"Your order was placed at 22:05 on 5/5. We processed the order next day and FedEx picks up at our facility at the end of the business day. They do not count weekends according to the T&Cs for FedEx 2day
    service. So for them, the clock did not start ticking until Monday and they delivered on Tuesday. If you need faster service you can request Saturday delivery for an additional cost. If you would like to take this up with FedEx, be my guest, but there is no standing for us to request a refund."

So technically he may be exactly right, but there should be something on the website saying that weekends won't count and 2 days could end up taking 5 days.

More importantly, looking at the construction of the outlet, it is very cheaply made. I'm curious if anybody else has installed these products and had them fail.