Spyder Garage

Default 2012 vs 2013 RSS

Any reason to take one over the other if buying used? I know the dash cluster and front fender lights are different on the 2013. looking for thoughts on the matter. Thanks
    2008 SM5 Yellow, built 5/08 Mods: Evoluzione CAI, and Programable SPAL Fan. Two Brothers Juice Box, Hindle Exhaust. Custom Dynamics Lighting and Mono seat Cowl.
    2012 RSS SM5 Red/Black Mods Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust Dynojet Power Commander JT's Custom Air Filter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a real good question!
    The 2013 gets the Brembo brakes, 15" wheels, the new parts that you described, AND the 991 series engine.

The 2012 is a proven commodity, with the 106 horsepower 990 series engine...

The '13 will out-handle and out-brake the '12: that's my guess...
    The '12 will be faster than the '13: another guess!
    What's the price differential?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Not much of a price difference, being used numbers are all over the place. Didn't realize there was a change in the engine though, thought that was the same.
    2008 SM5 Yellow, built 5/08 Mods: Evoluzione CAI, and Programable SPAL Fan. Two Brothers Juice Box, Hindle Exhaust. Custom Dynamics Lighting and Mono seat Cowl.
    2012 RSS SM5 Red/Black Mods Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust Dynojet Power Commander JT's Custom Air Filter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup!
    The 991 is the "Throttle by wire" engine, that was used in all of the RTs prior to 2014. It was tuned for more torque at lower rpm levels.
    The 990 has a throttle cable; it's much more foolproof, but adding cruise control is a whole lot tougher.
    Another plus of the 990 engine: the recommended fuel octane to use in it, is 87. (It's 91 octane for the 991 engine, due to the much higher compression ratio. )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob's got it pretty much covered there.

The only things I'd add is that the front frame on the 2013 was changed to make the mounting points for the shocks slightly higher which improved handling a bit (you can get a converter for the 2012 from a site sponsor that will do the same thing, can't remember who though:-)). The Catalytic converter is separate from the exhaust on the 2013, for the 2012 and before they were one unit. This means if you swap the exhaust on a 2012 you remove the cat as well - that can be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view:-)

Spyder Garage

2012 also had fox shocks I believe. From doing some more research and info from Bob, I think I will try and find a 2012. The fewer electronics to cause issues the better.

Spyder Garage

Default Opinions...

Gotta say, I have the RS sm5 2012 and with almost 35,000 tourble free miles I am loving it. I do not like the fenders, pipe or guage set up of the 13 much less the loss of power.I slowly added the shock relocators from Pitt Bull, BajaRon swaybar and the Fox shocks (the 13's had the fox shocks) and it will out handle the newer models with ease...then there is all the rest I have done to her that makes me very fond of the RS the early years....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

9,000 trouble free miles on my 2012 RS. I like the power in the engine and never knew why they would want to reduce it and add weight. Also wasn't there heat issues on the 2013?
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

I love my 2013 RS. I wanted to be able to go on longer trips than just spending the evening ryding around town pretending to be a crotch rocket so, among other things, I added the switch and now have cruise control, plus I added handlebars off an RT so I could sit up straight. Now my back and shoulders don't hurt and my hands aren't numb after a half-hour on the motorcycle. You can't add those changes as easily on a pre-2013.

As for the 2012 being simpler, I haven't heard much in the way of failures on those things that make the 2013 different from the 2012.

Remember that folks will post here to help THEM support THEIR decision, not necessarily what might should be YOUR best decision. That includes myself too!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

13 rs and loving it. 13000 0 issues
    The little difference in hp un-noticable.

Electronics better combination. BRP has been runnung every since.

All in all all the rs are pretty much bullet proof