Thread: New tire???!!!

Spyder Garage

Default New tire???!!!

When I got my inspection sticker last month the guy said I needed a tire. He stickered it but you could see the ware bar "in the center". I called the dealer and scheduled a tire and paid for the tire ahead of time with my card. I go there this morning and service says about an hour to hour and a half job. Coffee and phone/wifi in hand I sit. Service guy comes in and says you don't need a tire??!!! those center ware bars aren't really the ware bars?! You have a few(?) thousand miles left. This dealer/service place has a reputation both good and not so good. I have had no issues over the years but am aware. They credited my credit card at the parts desk. And before I left, I went back and thanked the service department. They could have just put the tire on and sent me on my way. Thank you Reynolds' Motor Sports. They refused a sticker on my Goldwing because of a small oil leak years ago. I should have asked where the true Ware bars are so I can pass it along to the guy that did my sticker. I am going to search on here to see if I can find some info on the OEM tire ware bars.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default INSPECTION STATIONS

....Un-fortunately there are ignorant people all over the place, I also recently brought my Spyder to have an inspection and was denied because He said the brake pads were to low .....#1. He looked at the rear pads while they were on the brake caliper......#2. LOW / THIN pads aren't in the inspection manual for " INSPECTIONS ", when I protested and went to leave HE expected to paid for the INSPECTION SERVICE anyway.....I told Him if they planned on holding my Spyder I would call the Police and have THEM bring a " State Motor Vehicle " inspector with them, and that He should PUCKER UP .....in preparation to kissing His License to Inspect goodbye ....He realized at this point that I knew more than He did and this was going to end BADLY for Him....I then left with my Spyder..................I'm an x-leo, and He so pi**ed me off I called a friend at DMV and a month later His Veh. inspection Lic was re-voked ..............a long time ago I learned a valuable lesson " Don't ever screw with someone un-less you are CERTAIN you will WIN ".......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Glad they were honest and saved you the expense. Just so you know there are some little triangle marks on the sides of the tire near the tread that indicate the ware bars. the others are rain bars to help hydroplaning...Many have changed their tires prematurely because of this giving the oem tire a bad name. Though not the best they are not as bad as the rep they have gotten on these forums....

This is on the Kenda tire

This is on the Arachnid (Vee Rubber) Tire...Most tires have these markings and they should know about it....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For your dealer...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What do you look for as far as the triangles go? Do they wear off or what?
    Thanks

Don

Spyder Garage

Default New Tire???!!!

chupaca, thanks for pointing out the ware bar triangles. Nice to know. I will ride by the inspection place and show him. justcalldon, check out above post from chupaca and you'll know as much as me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Ah View Post
    When I got my inspection sticker last month the guy said I needed a tire. He stickered it but you could see the ware bar "in the center". I called the dealer and scheduled a tire and paid for the tire ahead of time with my card. I go there this morning and service says about an hour to hour and a half job. Coffee and phone/wifi in hand I sit. Service guy comes in and says you don't need a tire??!!! those center ware bars aren't really the ware bars?! You have a few(?) thousand miles left. This dealer/service place has a reputation both good and not so good. I have had no issues over the years but am aware. They credited my credit card at the parts desk. And before I left, I went back and thanked the service department. They could have just put the tire on and sent me on my way. Thank you Reynolds' Motor Sports. They refused a sticker on my Goldwing because of a small oil leak years ago. I should have asked where the true Ware bars are so I can pass it along to the guy that did my sticker. I am going to search on here to see if I can find some info on the OEM tire ware bars.
    You need to move to a place where the government understands the Constitution and actually allows you to live your life without stickers or inspections from people who don't know what they are doing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You need to move to a place where the government understands the Constitution and actually allows you to live your life without stickers or inspections from people who don't know what they are doing.
    Where would that be, Ron?

Never mind, don't answer that question. If you do, someone will report this thread and then Lamont will be forced to shut it down.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    For your dealer...
    And applause also to Chupaca for the information in Post #3. I've never seen that information posted here before. I'll bet a lot don't know about it.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-04-2016 at 04:06 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justcalldon View Post
    What do you look for as far as the triangles go? Do they wear off or what?
    Thanks

Don
    The triangles don't change. They are towards the part of the tire that does not contact the road.

If you follow onto the tread from the triangles you will see the wear bars in the middle of the tread.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Ok thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default New Tire???!!!

BajaRon, I would move but I like Maine. On another note, I saw a list of vendors from SpyderQuest 2015 and I think you were on there?!? I plan on getting a sway bar and plan on doing it at this years SpyderQuest. This will be our first ride in event.If you are going to be there, will installs be available? my body doesn"t like laying on the garage floor as much as it use to and getting the RT up high enough is harder to do. That and my wife fears for my safety.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    And applause also to Chupaca for the information in Post #3. I've never seen that information posted here before. I'll bet a lot don't know about it.
    I learned about the triangles on here quite some time ago. I didn't know about them before, and did mistake the hydroplaning bars for wear bars before learning about the triangles. That's because wear bars have been around for decades, but hydroplane fighting bars are much more recent; thus the triangles nowadays. (end soapbox )
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl