Thread: Eye protection

Spyder Garage

Default Eye protection

What style of eye protection do you use. I have a 3/4 helmet and I usually just put on my Foster Grants and away I go. Been reading that I should think about using something a little tighter around eye to keep them from drying out so much. And I should use yellow day as well as night.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Full coverage Bell helmet.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

There are a variety of goggle type ryding glasses but not flattering a look. Now it depends on if you are having trouble or not. I have always worn a wrap around run of the mill sunglasses and do fine. I do use a modular helmet and if things get to windy close it to a full face. The newer helmets now have drop down sun visors that can be a solution depending on how old your helmet is.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Half a helmet

Full coverage modular helmet with flip down sun shield---- and all the rest of the gear too.

Road rash causes:

Kaos

PS: Hey Showie,

I noticed on your signature that you had deer whistles installed on your I also had deer whistles on one of my bikes years ago. Not really sure if they worked or not. Do you think they work????
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-03-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: deer whistles?
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ has a good line of wrap arounds, goggles, and bifocals in various colors. I prefer the pyramex V2s.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear wrap around yellow safety glasses day and night without helmet. With helmet only the full coverage clear face shield.

Spyder Garage

"PS: Hey Showie,

I noticed on your signature that you had deer whistles installed on your I also had deer whistles on one of my bikes years ago. Not really sure if they worked or not. Do you think they work????"

Did you ever hit a deer??? Well there you go.

As to eye protection I have used a set of safety glasses made by UVEX that have an MSA and ANSI rating and are shatter proof and impact resistant. The lenses wrap around and give side shield protection as well as allowing me my peripheral vision. I think I pay something like $8 to $9 for them at an industrial supply store. You should be able to find something on the web. I am wearing them in the sigpicture picture. They are UVEX Patriots.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-03-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Answers will vary of course.

We use Nolan N-40 types of modular helmets. They have both the drop down face shield and the inner drop down shields. I find that the two in conjunction, work well for our needs.

Yellow takes a bit of getting used to. I have yellow and blue face shields as well as clear. We drive mostly during daylight, so no problems with changing out for night riding.

Do what works for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wear a modular helmet and I always ride with the front closed, if it is hot I will open the face shield only to the first stop (The shield has three stops for open positions).
    Plus I wear prescription glasses, and the helmet has drop down sun shield. I do not use the drop down shield too much since it rides on my nose and gets to be irritating after a while.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

I wear safety glasses with both my 3/4 and FF helmets. Bearcats with built in readers purchased from Amazon. Buy them 6 at a time and move them to landscape duty when scratched.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    "PS: Hey Showie,

I noticed on your signature that you had deer whistles installed on your I also had deer whistles on one of my bikes years ago. Not really sure if they worked or not. Do you think they work????"

Did you ever hit a deer??? Well there you go.

Hey peg,

No---never hit a deer. Drove right past the doe's at the side of the road though. Also have seen thier eyes at deep dusk close enough to make me want to change my shorts!!!!! There is lots of forest in the mountians above Reno, where I ride almost daily and plenty of deer. So I don't think they work but maybe there is a new design out there?? So I asked.

Hey Showie,

As to what eye protection I wear??----Serengeti wraparound style.
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-03-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: got back on topic
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Deer Whistles?
    You might as well call them "elephant Whistles": I don't recall ever talking to anyone that had them; hitting an elephant!

Eye protection? Modular helmet with a full shield, and pull down sun visor!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

In the summer 3/4 helmet with face shield and drop down sun visor and in cold weather Modular with drop down sun visor.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wear a 1/2 helmet with my prescription glasses and clip on sunglasses. Never had a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Wrap-around safety glasses from Lowes. Anything else dries my eyes out.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Thx for input. As for deer whistles, Yes I do. On many occasions I've seen deer stop whatever they were doing and look around when I get near. I'm not sure if it would stop one that was in full motion but I believe they do keep them in place till you are past. Some deer hunters will whistle loudly to stop a running deer so they can get a shot off. Besides that for $10 it helps my peace of mind until proven differently. Kaos I lived in Reno while going to grad school and know that there are lots of deer around at times.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Wiley x glasses can be made to be prescription and have lenses that change in the sun. they also have foam pads so they seal around your eyes. I love mine.
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

I use yellow or dark glasses that go over my regular glasses and they have a soft rubber liner to prevent the wind from drying my eyes out.

Brand name is .............. Global Vision.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

First layer of protection is a good windshield. Second is a combination of my face shield on my 3/4 helmet, drop down sun screen and last but not least, my verilux glasses that give me both far and near correction. It depends on the speed im going and conditions as to how i configure this combo. In city driving, I usually have everything pushed up and im just seeing threw my glasses. My new Cal Scientific windshield can throw all the wind over my head to speeds of around 60 but I'm looking over it.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Full coverage Shoei RF-1100 helmet.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default Sea Gull whistles

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Deer Whistles?
    You might as well call them "elephant Whistles": I don't recall ever talking to anyone that had them; hitting an elephant!

Eye protection? Modular helmet with a full shield, and pull down sun visor!
    Down in FL. I noticed the same whistles advertised as Sea Gull whistles ! .................

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Because I wear Prescription glassses

I have a 3/4 with a face shield and internal sunshades. Haven't been able to find one I like better.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Deer Whistle

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Full coverage modular helmet with flip down sun shield---- and all the rest of the gear too.

Road rash causes:

Kaos

PS: Hey Showie,

I noticed on your signature that you had deer whistles installed on your I also had deer whistles on one of my bikes years ago. Not really sure if they worked or not. Do you think they work????
    Yeah the deer can really hear you after you pass.