Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Georgia licensing requirements

My hubby is the best hubby ever and is buying me a Spyder as a graduation present! I'm trying to find some info on getting the motorcycle endorsement for my license. My husband has taken the motorcycle test at the DMV (or whatever they are calling it now) and he just is not sure if the spyder will do some of the things they require. I did a little research and found some 3 wheel basic rider courses but they do not offer the waiver at completion like they do with the regular basic rider course. And they seem to be pretty far from me (I about 30 miles south of Atlanta).
    Any help would be great! Thanks everyone.

Spyder Garage

Default lic.

The test for a mc licence is a lot diff that a 2 wheeler, the cones are farther apart and is a very easy test, you will have no trouble passing this test. If you have either the se or manual you can pretty much take your time and just relax.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you have never done two wheels, I would go through a two wheel course for licensing, then go take the three wheel course. It's an excellent class, and you really get to feel your Spyder out in a controlled environment. I rode from the very southeast corner of GA to Alpharetta for it, and I'm so glad I did. You won't be sorry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Take the MSF class on two wheels, and get your endorsement that way... Then just jump on the can am and take off! The two wheel class is well worth the time, money and knowledge you learn about motorcycles in general. Also it makes you more aware of the road, and helps you drive your car differently, with more respect for the road and especially motorcycles.

If for some reason you fail the test after the MSF class, no worries they usually let you take it again for free, or you abandon that and go take the road test for trikes... Either way, you gain valuable lessons and information about motorcycles. My 2 cents.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default Ga MC endorsement

I live in SW Ga. When I desided to buy my first motorcycle I 2012,, a 2012 Spyder RTL, I found that I first had to get a MC learners permit. I stopped by the closest DMV office and picked up their MC pamphlet, which BTW, talked about how to ride a two wheeler, and passed their test the next morning. According to the state of Ga I was the qualified to ride any motorcycle during the day, without a passenger, and not on an interstate. What a scary thought that is.....

I then found a Can Am dealer that had the Spyder I wanted. Drove to central Fl, and pulled it home on a trailer. Spent the next couple months on back roads around home familiarising myself with the controls. In the meantime I could a couple places in Ga that offered 3 wheeled classes, but scheduled them on when they had enough students to make it worthwhile, but also found one in central Fl that I could take immediately, so did that. Best money and three day class I ever had. I really began to understand, and feel the capabilities of my new ride.

I had the only Spyder, and there were several excersizes I did not think I could do. One was to make the trik skid by apply to much brake, and the other was to pick up on of the wheels. I explained what I thought I knew and the instructors ask me to try anyway. The results duly impressed the two instructors and me. My Spyder performed flawlessly, all the other trims were skidding out of control.

Now its time for my driving test, so I show up at the appointed time, after an hours drive to Albany. The lady has me pull up to what is going to be my starting line and wait while she sets up some cones. When she was done we both knee this was not going to work. The cones were so close together that I would have run over the mall. She has set the cones up to test a two wheeler. She and her supervisor finally got it all straight, much to the chagrin and entertainment of the two wheelers waiting their turn.....

Tom.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DMV

I took my test on a 2 wheeler bout 10 years ago in Milledgeville, GA. I know things are a little different now especially with the 3 wheelers. The test i took was not designed for 3 wheeled bikes. The cones are too close and the little manuevers i had to do, could not have been done on a 3 wheeler. Maybe they have a course for trikes and for two wheels. It was kind of simple. Best of luck to you.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Recommend taking the Motorcycle Safety Course for the valuable learning experience. If you pass, you will get a waiver for the written and road test, and just need to pay DMV to get your motorcyle license endorsement. That allows you to ride, and test drive, two and three wheels. I don't know of a dealer that will allow you to test drive their cycles without a license.

The other option is to pass the written test to get your permit, then take the three wheel test for your license. If you test on the trike, your license will be only for a three wheeler. You can purchase a cycle without a permit or license.

2015 F3S. Farkles: Route 129 shield, passenger backrest, Lidlox, cup holder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default license

Thanks for the help/advice everyone! Turns out they do accommodate for the 3 wheels so gotta get my permit then practice practice practice for the road test!!!

Spyder Garage

I don't know if the new owners manual have it, but the older ones had a section of practice skills. Try working on this, they will go a long ways toward what you need to pass the riding portion of the test.

Spyder Garage

Check with locus Grove DMV on 75 behind rangers shopping.they can give 3 wheel endorsement.

Spyder Garage

This past month I retook the GWRRA Trike class. They recommend it every three years. They have adapted the class for Spyders as they handle different than the standard trikes.

With the endorsement, I get a discount on my motorcycle insurance. The class was held at the Rome, GA airport in a classroom and on a taxiway.

Spyder Garage

Default license

If you get the GA m/c license you can also drive a 3 wheeler, they are the same no special license needed for 3 wheeler, test is real easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by POD KonB GA View Post
    If you have never done two wheels, I would go through a two wheel course for licensing, then go take the three wheel course. It's an excellent class, and you really get to feel your Spyder out in a controlled environment. I rode from the very southeast corner of GA to Alpharetta for it, and I'm so glad I did. You won't be sorry.

What class in Alpharetta did you take?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtrobaugh View Post
    What class in Alpharetta did you take?
    I have taken the Advanced Riders Course, the 3 Wheel Basic Rider Course, and the Basic Rider Course 2, as well as the Dirt Bike Course with my two boys. Always great information and a great group of people to work with. Very knowledgeable and fun.

Spyder Garage

Hey Spider/Ryker riders. I joined this forum to sell a Spyder for a friend and came across this thread. Being the guy that got the 3 Wheel BRC approved for a license waiver I feel the urge to comment. Yes you can take the 2 Wheel BRC and get a license waiver and ride a 3 Wheel motorcycle. If you can ride a bicycle and have fairly average motor-skills you should be able to successfully complete the 2 Wheel BRC and get the endorsement.
    However, why do people ride 3 wheels? Numerous reasons I suppose and they need not need to be discussed at this time. If you are one of the folks that ride 3 for a reason then the 3 Wheel BRC will give you some insight as to the operation and handling characteristics of such. I also think the evaluation is a bit easier than the 2 wheel one. Being a Georgia Certified Instructor/Rider Coach for over 20 years and having taught the 3 Wheel BRC since 2011 I feel that I can say that with reasonable accuracy.
    Any DDS site that will test the 2 wheels will be able to test 3 wheels as it is a similar setup. The 3 wheel test is on page 10 of the 2019-2020 Motorcycle Operator Guide

https://dds.georgia.gov/document/pub...guide/download

Several sites in GA offer the 3WBRC. Can Am will pick up some of the tab, I think, at certain locations. The MSF Campus in Alpharetta offers this training on a private level but you would need to contact them for scheduling. Good Luck and Safe Travels!
    Karl

Spyder Garage
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver