Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post

I already purchased the X-creen and installed it.

John
    So, how do you like it?

And, how was the customer service on fixing the double order?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    I

Hi,

Aftrer changing windshields, and going nuts, because I didn't like the wind management, I bought a Schuberth on sale at Revzilla. It knocked the wind noise down 80% and there is little to no buffeting. A bit expensive, but well worth it. If I'd bought the Schuberth first, I might have left the blue ridge on.

Ron Boyles
    Ron,

Which one did you get?

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    So, how do you like it?

And, how was the customer service on fixing the double order?
    They corrected it quickly.

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    I

Hi,

Aftrer changing windshields, and going nuts, because I didn't like the wind management, I bought a Schuberth on sale at Revzilla. It knocked the wind noise down 80% and there is little to no buffeting. A bit expensive, but well worth it. If I'd bought the Schuberth first, I might have left the blue ridge on.

Ron Boyles
    I have the Bell Mag 9 helmet. After reading your post Ron, I think the sun visor may cause some buffeting. It is removable. But, before doing that I want to test the X-creen that I just spent $160 for.

John

Spyder Garage

John,
    I had the Bell Mag 9 helmet. Nice helmet, but not very quiet. I tried taking the visor off and it didn't matter. Like Ron B. I went to a Schuberth C3 pro.
    It's a very expensive helmet, but it's much quieter.
    I don't know if it will help with windshield issue though. I'm 6'4" and I just can't find a windshield that works; including the F4 32". I ended up looking right though the edge of the F4 and I just couldn't stand the looks of that tall sail on my beautiful bike. Right now I'm riding without a windshield and it's really quiet with the Schuberth. A lot of wind on the body though.
    Last edited by Michaelscs; 05-05-2016 at 10:54 AM.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bummer glad they gave you your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Been there, done that - it did not work well.

The one they sent for the Blue Ridge is not at all appropriate. It does not match the curvature of the BR screen - it was designed for the factory screen for the RS. At least I got my money back (less shipping).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    John,
    I had the Bell Mag 9 helmet. Nice helmet, but not very quiet. I tried taking the visor off and it didn't matter. Like Ron B. I went to a Schuberth C3 pro.
    It's a very expensive helmet, but it's much quieter.
    I don't know if it will help with windshield issue though. I'm 6'4" and I just can't find a windshield that works; including the F4 32". I ended up looking right though the edge of the F4 and I just couldn't stand the looks of that tall sail on my beautiful bike. Right now I'm riding without a windshield and it's really quiet with the Schuberth. A lot of wind on the body though.
    You have given me a lot to think about and try out. Since I already installed the X-creen, I will see how that works. Then, I may try the mag 9 helmet without the sun visor. If that doesn't work, I may try the Schubert C3.

John

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Schuberth helmet made no difference for me, so I swapped the stock BRP Blue Ridge windshield for a Gustaffsson middle-height F3 (it bolts to the stock BRP brackets) and that cut down the buffeting about 50%. Next, I will try their full-height version. (Want to buy the medium height from me?)
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    The Schuberth helmet made no difference for me, so I swapped the stock BRP Blue Ridge windshield for a Gustaffsson middle-height F3 (it bolts to the stock BRP brackets) and that cut down the buffeting about 50%. Next, I will try their full-height version. (Want to buy the medium height from me?)
    I will keep it in mind. I want to try out the X-creen I already installed. That is as soon as the rain goes away, which may not be for another week.

John

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Drjohn, did you buy the tour or the sport? Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm curious to hear if it fixes the issue for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I already purchased the X-creen and installed it.

John
    Did it work?
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Did it work?
    I'm still waiting for the rain to stop to test it. It has been raining non-stop for a week now.

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Bell Mag 9 helmet. After reading your post Ron, I think the sun visor may cause some buffeting. It is removable. But, before doing that I want to test the X-creen that I just spent $160 for.

John

Awwwwww it should not have cost you that much!!!

http://www.amazon.com/MRA-4025066125.../dp/B00CG43ENI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Awwwwww it should not have cost you that much!!!

http://www.amazon.com/MRA-4025066125.../dp/B00CG43ENI
    What you are showing is without the clamp kit. The total for both is $161.90

John

Spyder Garage

What you are showing is without the clamp kit. The total for both is $161.90

John
    I've also noticed that the price has gone up since I bought mine last year. I paid about $135 for both and then switched to NOT use the clamp because it looks nicer and I wasn't going to take it off. I'll only take the entire windshield off and switch to the cowl. So... I have a clamp kit hanging out somewhere that I should have offered you.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default CALSCI

[QUOTE=vondalyn;1125651]I've also noticed that the price has gone up since I bought mine last year. I paid about $135 for both and then switched to NOT use the clamp because it looks nicer and I wasn't going to take it off. I'll only take the entire windshield off and switch to the cowl. So... I have a clamp kit hanging out somewhere that I should have offered you.[/QUOTE

I went with the CALSCI Max high & wide and am very happy with it. It compares to my RT with the shield in the high position.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=hollylmh;1126094]
    Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I've also noticed that the price has gone up since I bought mine last year. I paid about $135 for both and then switched to NOT use the clamp because it looks nicer and I wasn't going to take it off. I'll only take the entire windshield off and switch to the cowl. So... I have a clamp kit hanging out somewhere that I should have offered you.[/QUOTE

I went with the CALSCI Max high & wide and am very happy with it. It compares to my RT with the shield in the high position.
    I'm sitting here at my computer listening to the rain once again. They are predicting rain for next weekend too. I should have bought an Ark, not a motorcycle...

John

Spyder Garage

I tried the X-creen several times in several positions on the Blue Ridge Windshield. I cannot say it is effective in reducing wind. It makes only a small difference. I think one of the problems is that a person sits far away from the windshield on the F3.

However, I can live with the wind...

John

Spyder Garage

The buffeting comes from wind turbulence. In all my testing, the result is either go big or small, but anything in the middle usually just makes things worse.

Well fitting helmet will help but depending on the type and amount of turbulence this is likely minimal. For safety, helmet should fit correctly and the rest is a bonus.
    Schuberth makes some of the quietest helmets. The modular is actually the quietest helmet made b/c they can make the neck roll tighter since the helmet opens. I ended up with an Arai because of my head shape. Wife has a Shoei.

A split shield, or the clip/bolt on visor, virtually adds height to the shield by accelerating the air passing between the pieces to push air higher over your head.
    Seat position, rider height from the seat, and distance to the shield does play an important role. This is why just about everyone has a different opinion and experience. What works for 1 does not work for another, usually because something else is different.
    Some end up with a shorter shield because they prefer the "clean air" at their helmet.

Often, the clip on visor works better when it is in a lower position so it accelerates the better.
    Higher is not always better. For example, my Madstad 24" on my RS just did not work, no mater where I put it with 3" of adjustment in height or angle. Went to a 26" shield and it was night and day difference. I run it 1" above minimum and very close to the 60 degrees they recommended.
    I use clip on visor for my Buell and it is just enough to move the air from my gut to chest/shoulders. I tried 2 taller shields and both created horrible turbulence. Might talk to Madstad about adapting or building something custom.

Super tall shields often do fix the issue because they get the turbulent air above your head.
    On the F3T, I found the shield had no turbulence; however, the wind noise was deafening. Split shield does accelerate the air so more noise is common but it should be smooth.

For those that are testing equipment, wrap the shields in plastic wrap and packing tape to protect so you can return during the allowed period without any damage. There were a few cheaper options but I went to Madstad because of their 60 day return policy.

Hope that helps.

Spyder Garage

Looked at the pictures posted again. Try adding some space between the visor and shield to get more air flow between them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robertl View Post
    The buffeting comes from wind turbulence. In all my testing, the result is either go big or small, but anything in the middle usually just makes things worse.

Well fitting helmet will help but depending on the type and amount of turbulence this is likely minimal. For safety, helmet should fit correctly and the rest is a bonus.
    Schuberth makes some of the quietest helmets. The modular is actually the quietest helmet made b/c they can make the neck roll tighter since the helmet opens. I ended up with an Arai because of my head shape. Wife has a Shoei.

A split shield, or the clip/bolt on visor, virtually adds height to the shield by accelerating the air passing between the pieces to push air higher over your head.
    Seat position, rider height from the seat, and distance to the shield does play an important role. This is why just about everyone has a different opinion and experience. What works for 1 does not work for another, usually because something else is different.
    Some end up with a shorter shield because they prefer the "clean air" at their helmet.

Often, the clip on visor works better when it is in a lower position so it accelerates the better.
    Higher is not always better. For example, my Madstad 24" on my RS just did not work, no mater where I put it with 3" of adjustment in height or angle. Went to a 26" shield and it was night and day difference. I run it 1" above minimum and very close to the 60 degrees they recommended.
    I use clip on visor for my Buell and it is just enough to move the air from my gut to chest/shoulders. I tried 2 taller shields and both created horrible turbulence. Might talk to Madstad about adapting or building something custom.

Super tall shields often do fix the issue because they get the turbulent air above your head.
    On the F3T, I found the shield had no turbulence; however, the wind noise was deafening. Split shield does accelerate the air so more noise is common but it should be smooth.

For those that are testing equipment, wrap the shields in plastic wrap and packing tape to protect so you can return during the allowed period without any damage. There were a few cheaper options but I went to Madstad because of their 60 day return policy.

Hope that helps.

I agree with what you are saying. However, I should have titled this article body buffeting. I feel turbulence coming from the top and sides of the windshield. I think the primary problem is that I'm far away from the windshield and the Blue Ridge windshield angle is very low. Originally, the bike didn't have a windshield because it was on backorder. I noticed only a little difference with the windshield above 55 mph.

John

Spyder Garage

I tried the X-creen several times in several positions on the Blue Ridge Windshield. I cannot say it is effective in reducing wind. It makes only a small difference. I think one of the problems is that a person sits far away from the windshield on the F3.

However, I can live with the wind...

John
    I promise you that if you try the F4 shield you will have no issue with buffeting period....

mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post
    I promise you that if you try the F4 shield you will have no issue with buffeting period....

mark
    After already spending $600, I hate to spend another $520 on a windshield. But, I'm considering it.

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post

mark
    I don't think you can make that promise. It's different for everyone.
    I had a F4 32" shield and I'm 6'4". At lower position I had terrible head buffeting and noise. At the higher position it was better from the front, but the buffeting from the back sucked. I also ended up looking right through the top of the windshield, which was like looking through my bifocals all the time - no fun!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After already spending $600, I hate to spend another $520 on a windshield. But, I'm considering it.

John

I can relate to your financial pain in seeking right windshield for u on the F3. Not so bright me has spent $800+ - three windshields - also DIY brackets/modified windshield to try different locations for windshield mounting to no avail. Ideally I sought Form and Function.

My conclusions from all this money and a gazillion hours of research/DIY trials and errors - just my $.02 of course your results are hopefully better than mine : 1. Windshield needs to be mounted closer to rider than OEM mounting location provides 2. Windshield either needs to be short (letting full airflow/no-reduced buffeting) or it needs to be a giant sail that you look through.

I am not comfortable looking through a windshield + helmet shield + sunshades.

So I have reluctantly settled for a shorter windshield + DIY mounting for year round use - no significant wind nor buffeting to head and lots of airflow and some buffeting to body at highway speeds - I also think it looks good and fits the style of the F3.

Solution also fits my riding: 99% of my riding is local, highways mostly avoided, and 1 hour max. seat time between pitstops.

Cheers and good windshield hunting.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020