Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Paraplegic new F3-S owner, hi from the U.K

Hi all, it's been nearly 5 years since my motorcycle accident that left T11 complete para and just got my first spyder F3-S... Took me this long to persuade my wife to let me have one!
    just wanted to say hi and say how much I'm loving my new ride. Just fantastic to be back on the road
    Having never rode a spyder before I had hopefully expectations and wasn't sure how comfortable and stable I would feel but I shouldn't of worried as it feels excellent.
    The dealer fitted an ISCI hand brake adaptation and foot boards however the braking performance with the hand brake is extremely disappointing, a car braked unexpectedly in front of me today and I thought I wasn't going to stop in time. I've adjusted the brake lever span adjuster out as far as I can although I do have fairly small hands but the lever came back to the bars. I've lost a lot of confidence in the ability to be able to stop in an emergency which is a real shame.
    ive read on here that this is a known issue now but any suggestions on improving the braking?
    cheers
    sean
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

I have seen only one other but home made. Attaching a lever to the foot brake which is much more effective than the hand brake system from isci. It does require some skill but this guy had no problem. He was happy using the hand brake around town and just casual ryding but used the lever when in doubt.. isci is the only one out there at the moment and the system does lack...But congrats on getting the OK to get back out there.... I know this is most pleasing and I have no doubt you will find a way to overcome this bump in the road....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome to OUR 3 wheel world.
    I have read somewhere that the "bleeding drill"
    for the handbrake slave and master cylinder is
    pretty specific, and you might want installer to try again.
    Lever certainly shouldn't come back all the way to the grip. and good luck.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome. Happy (S)miles!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Welcome to OUR 3 wheel world.
    I have read somewhere that the "bleeding drill"
    for the handbrake slave and master cylinder is
    pretty specific, and you might want installer to try again.
    Lever certainly shouldn't come back all the way to the grip. and good luck.
    this sounds quite accurate, have you contacted ISCI? See if they have a recommendation?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

welcome and hope you get your brake issue figured out
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I too have the ISCI hand brake but did add the Baja Ron fully sintered brake pads. It takes about 200 miles to brake the new pads but once seated they do a great job of stopping the F3. Ron also recommends the rotors as well but was out of stock when I ordered mine. As I said the new pads are far superior to the stock pads for stopping power.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

​Welcome to the forum cousin. There is a ton of great info available here and a bunch of truly knowledgeable and helpful folks who hang out here.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Bleed your brakes mate. You shouldn't be able to squeeze the lever until it reaches the handlebar.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nice to see another new Spyder owner in the UK - Check out the ukspyderweb.com website and the ukspyderweb facebook page

Hope to see you sometime at a UK Spyder meet
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

and

Another vote for the "brake bleed."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congratulations at being able to get out there with the wind in your face again

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin sean View Post
    Hi all, it's been nearly 5 years since my motorcycle accident that left T11 complete para and just got my first spyder F3-S... Took me this long to persuade my wife to let me have one!
    just wanted to say hi and say how much I'm loving my new ride. Just fantastic to be back on the road
    Having never rode a spyder before I had hopefully expectations and wasn't sure how comfortable and stable I would feel but I shouldn't of worried as it feels excellent.
    The dealer fitted an ISCI hand brake adaptation and foot boards however the braking performance with the hand brake is extremely disappointing, a car braked unexpectedly in front of me today and I thought I wasn't going to stop in time. I've adjusted the brake lever span adjuster out as far as I can although I do have fairly small hands but the lever came back to the bars. I've lost a lot of confidence in the ability to be able to stop in an emergency which is a real shame.
    ive read on here that this is a known issue now but any suggestions on improving the braking?
    cheers
    sean
    I have the ISCI on my STS and it is almost too stiff and will almost send me over the bars if I hit it without being ready. I appreciate the freedom as I am a T5 Incomplete. You may not have the brake adjusted correctly down below. I installed mine so I became very familiar with how they work. It is a good product and just needs the proper adjustment providing the brakes are good on the F# itself.

That said I did have to have the brake booster that comes with the ISCI kit replaced at about 3 months of age. No problems since.

Tim

Spyder Garage

Glad it worked out, I have heard a lot of people having problems with the hand brake. As my right leg gets worse I have looked at making
    a hand brake off the foot brake, like the old farm tractors had, so I have the option when my leg won't move. With a longer leaver it would
    give me more stopping power. Jim

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bracket -- Along with Brake Bleed

I am in the process of looking for a thread where someone fashioned a "missing" bracket for the ISCI unit that eliminates "flex" in the mechanics. I know he made one for himself and also one other rider (Kawakii) -- I believe both riders are also enabled.

Will update once I find the thread (if I can, it is several years old). And I agree, bleed the brakes .... it is not easy on the ISCI unit, but once done properly, the hand brake works well.

FOUND IT -- here's a link to the thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=ISCI+bracket

Regards ..... Ann
    Last edited by Spyder_Cowgirl; 05-17-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Ann is on the mark they may not be bled properly. It is a dirty rotten #$%^%^ to get it done and was exhausting to squeeze it as as needed.

Just gotta do it.

Spyder Garage

Yes it important to properly bleed the hand brake system both at the master cylinder on the handle bars and the slave cylinder that attaches to the clevis. It is also recommended that the brakes be re-bled after riding a few hundred miles to get any stray air bubbles out of the system.

i found that the system works ok and stops pretty well but after installing the fully sintered brake pads that Baja Ron sells and getting them broke in my F3 can stop on a dime.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    Yes it important to properly bleed the hand brake system both at the master cylinder on the handle bars and the slave cylinder that attaches to the clevis. It is also recommended that the brakes be re-bled after riding a few hundred miles to get any stray air bubbles out of the system.

i found that the system works ok and stops pretty well but after installing the fully sintered brake pads that Baja Ron sells and getting them broke in my F3 can stop on a dime.

Thanks for for the tip. I've just got some EBC HH sintered pads ready to install so hopefully I'll notice a difference once they've bedded in.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Do you plan to take your wc with you?
    Mods:
    Can Am 23" Windshield & Tank Bag. Corbin seat w/gas flap and backrests. Protective covers for shocks.Sena SMH10 headsets. Wrapped header pipe with insulating tape. GPS mount for Garmin Nuvi 680. Various lights from Custom Dynamics. Hand Brake, Floorboards, Brake Pedal & Fancan from ISCI. Parking Brake extension, Floorboard tabs, Wheelchair mount.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah I've been using the passenger backrest to hang my wheelchair off, one strap over the frame and it works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is awesome!! This is the biggest bonus top spyders...they are so easily modifiable!! Great that you can take both your roses on the road with you! Have fun!!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Two Things

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin sean View Post
    cheers
    sean
    1) Do not get in an accident or your wife will never let you have another.

2) and more important. As a T5 Para with a ST-S with the ISCI Brake there are two things to do. Rebleed the hand brake and get the Lamonster brake pads and you should stop much faster. I can stop in as short a distance as the other Spyders I have tested against.

Enjoy the ride.