Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3 and Knees

Spyder Garage

Default F3 and Knees

Hi all. I'm considering pulling the plug on an F3 Ltd. I currently have an '09 GS SE5 with almost 36k miles on it. I've put most of them on since I bought it used in 2012. My problem with the GS is after a week of riding, my knees and hips scream. I've got arthritis in my left knee (who doesn't?), and even though I have lost a lot of weight to help with that. It still give me fits.

Does the riding position of the F3 present any problems for us 'mature (I'm 57)'? Did you have problems with your knees or hips that have been resolved when you bought the F3.

I'm hoping to get my dealer to let me have an F3 to ride for a few days while they work on my GS. Not sure how that conversation will go, but you don't know if you don't ask.

Your thoughts about the riding position and arthritis?

Thank-you!

Sue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

But the ryding position should help you. From the photo you will have a hard time carrying all that on an F3.... but you might think trailer...but you have the right idea with the test ryde even if you can't get it for days.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But the ryding position should help you. From the photo you will have a hard time carrying all that on an F3.... but you might think trailer...but you have the right idea with the test ryde even if you can't get it for days.....
    Ah, you'd be surprised what I can cram on a Spyder... if not, Joe can look even more like the Beverly Hillbillies with his BMW GS800 !

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 and knees......and back and hips...

SpyderSue - I finally traded my v-rod in for a Spyder when I saw how the F3 was configured. I have ridden cruisers all my life and the other style Spyders just didn't work for me (no offense to the owners, just my experience). The v-rod was a fun bike but was not a long-distance ride even though that's how I used it. However, my back, hips, and knees would be screaming by the time I got to my destination. Since getting the F3, I have not experienced any of those issues, and I have been very comfortable riding long days on my F3. I switched the saddlebags from my v-rod to my F3, and along with the frunk and a Saddlemen tail bag, I can haul quite a bit on my F3. I will be 63 in August and since I got the F3, I have no doubt I will riding for a lot longer. I loved my v-rod, but the F3 just blows it away.
    Sue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in early 2014, that's what brought me from over 20 years on two wheels to can am. I have an F3 Limited SS and I honestly have never been more comfortable on a motorcycle in my life... MS or not. I tell everyone that stops me that even without the MS, if I would have ridden this F3 when I was healthy I would have traded in my other bikes for it. I cannot say enough about it. And I, like you, deal with pain on a daily basis. Get your F3. You will not regret it one bit!

Spyder Garage

Rub some cannabis paste on that knee, and any other place that pains you, and you will be able to ride anything, anywhere, any time you choose. What a difference it has made for me at 70 and riding an F3S

2015 F3-S owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pdxsenior View Post
    Rub some cannabis paste on that knee, and any other place that pains you, and you will be able to ride anything, anywhere, any time you choose. What a difference it has made for me at 70 and riding an F3S

2015 F3-S owner
    What's interesting is I did try several different cannabis pastes on my knee - for me it did nothing. I live in Colorado, so that is easy to obtain and experiment with.

I plan on riding a very long time, and hope the F3 is my new 'forever' bike. As much as any of them ever are

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default knees

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    Hi all. I'm considering pulling the plug on an F3 Ltd. I currently have an '09 GS SE5 with almost 36k miles on it. I've put most of them on since I bought it used in 2012. My problem with the GS is after a week of riding, my knees and hips scream. I've got arthritis in my left knee (who doesn't?), and even though I have lost a lot of weight to help with that. It still give me fits.

Does the riding position of the F3 present any problems for us 'mature (I'm 57)'? Did you have problems with your knees or hips that have been resolved when you bought the F3.

I'm hoping to get my dealer to let me have an F3 to ride for a few days while they work on my GS. Not sure how that conversation will go, but you don't know if you don't ask.

Your thoughts about the riding position and arthritis?

Thank-you!
    I
    Sue
    I use foam neck brace above my knees to keep my knees away from the body of my f3

Spyder Garage

Reason I traded my GS (35,000 miles) Was the crotch rocket bent knee riding position and the inability to get as much pressure on the brake as I wanted to?
    My F3 is great on the knees and legs are stretch out which as a 67 year old I didn't know if I would like BUT it is a Much more comfortable position and you Do Not feel like your going to get tossed OFF in a hard turn! Get your dealer to let you drive one home- BUT before you buy Make sure they Fit you good because it makes ALL the difference with the F3.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reissooz View Post
    SpyderSue - I finally traded my v-rod in for a Spyder when I saw how the F3 was configured. I have ridden cruisers all my life and the other style Spyders just didn't work for me (no offense to the owners, just my experience). The v-rod was a fun bike but was not a long-distance ride even though that's how I used it. However, my back, hips, and knees would be screaming by the time I got to my destination. Since getting the F3, I have not experienced any of those issues, and I have been very comfortable riding long days on my F3. I switched the saddlebags from my v-rod to my F3, and along with the frunk and a Saddlemen tail bag, I can haul quite a bit on my F3. I will be 63 in August and since I got the F3, I have no doubt I will riding for a lot longer. I loved my v-rod, but the F3 just blows it away.
    Sue
    Great news! I get to take one out for a few hours when they are working on my bike - looking forward to seeing how it all feels after a while

Spyder Garage

Default Knees

I have arthritis in both my knees at the ripe old age of 46. I just completed my first decent ride (200 miles) on my new F3 Limited today and I experienced no discomfort in my knees at all. On my ST I would not be in pain but it would start to be uncomfortable after 100 + miles.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great news! I get to take one out for a few hours when they are working on my bike - looking forward to seeing how it all feels after a while
    Hope you get the same results I did!

Spyder Garage

I'm a tall guy and not very flexible. My problem on the F3 is the split between my legs is greater than on any of my two wheelers. With the pegs all the way forward your legs are wider apart. I'm fine for up to an hour but I get sore after that.
    I don't do many longer rides so I still enjoy my F3 but I do wish it was a little narrower.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    '82 Honda MB5, '98 Yamaha VStar Classic, '14 Honda Grom, '15 Indian Scout, '15 Can Am Spyder F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Only Demos So far

I've only demoed the F3 and have not gone far but I was enough impressed by the comfort plus the fact that it has a reverse and doesn't need held up at stops. I am 63 years old and have knee and back problems. I currently have a 2015 Indian Chieftain and it's the easiest to balance two wheeler I've had so far but backing it up with my legs and holding it steady with my wife getting on and off is getting difficult. This Indian is probably the last two wheel motorcycle for me. The F3T or F3 Limited are looking like my next ride.

Spyder Garage

I find it very comfy... Love the ride... The third peg from Lamont may be needed for getting on with bad knees...just a thought.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Spyder View Post
    I'm a tall guy and not very flexible. My problem on the F3 is the split between my legs is greater than on any of my two wheelers. With the pegs all the way forward your legs are wider apart. I'm fine for up to an hour but I get sore after that.
    I don't do many longer rides so I still enjoy my F3 but I do wish it was a little narrower.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    I'm short girl, so we'll see how that plays out...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    I've only demoed the F3 and have not gone far but I was enough impressed by the comfort plus the fact that it has a reverse and doesn't need held up at stops. I am 63 years old and have knee and back problems. I currently have a 2015 Indian Chieftain and it's the easiest to balance two wheeler I've had so far but backing it up with my legs and holding it steady with my wife getting on and off is getting difficult. This Indian is probably the last two wheel motorcycle for me. The F3T or F3 Limited are looking like my next ride.
    I LOVELOVELOVE the look of the Indian. If I decided to go to 2, that's the bike I'd want. That being said, I think for this lifetime I'm a Spyder kinda gal. I'm looking forward to my long test ride on Thursday. I'll get to ride on some of my favorite local twisty's to see how she feels. Stay tuned!

Spyder Garage

Why is really nice about the F3 is that the riding position is adjustable. I have my foot pegs set in the forward position and they are very comfortable. Get the rider backrest too if you have arthritis.

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post
    Why is really nice about the F3 is that the riding position is adjustable. I have my foot pegs set in the forward position and they are very comfortable. Get the rider backrest too if you have arthritis.

John
    I'll be getting the rider and passenger backrests. I found on my GS that they make great support for all the crap I have to bring with me when I travel, since we tend to camp more than a little bit.

For my ride on Thursday I'm going to ask them to take the time to adjust for me, so I get a real sense of how it will feel. Thanks for the suggestions!

Spyder Garage

Default Good luck with your test ride

I found that my legs in a more forward position also helped my knees. I think according to the chart, I should have been fine at foot position 3 but my left knee was screaming at me within a half hour. I ended up moving to position 4 so that my legs are just a bit more straight and I can ride all day long with no knee issues.

When you sit on the "seating dummy" make sure you see where the next position forward is (can you reach it easily) because the chart may have you at a 1 or 2 and you may want to get the pegs at the next notch forward because of your knees.

You'll love the F3. Can't wait to hear what you think!
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I found that my legs in a more forward position also helped my knees. I think according to the chart, I should have been fine at foot position 3 but my left knee was screaming at me within a half hour. I ended up moving to position 4 so that my legs are just a bit more straight and I can ride all day long with no knee issues.

When you sit on the "seating dummy" make sure you see where the next position forward is (can you reach it easily) because the chart may have you at a 1 or 2 and you may want to get the pegs at the next notch forward because of your knees.

You'll love the F3. Can't wait to hear what you think!
    Great advice! Thanks When I had horses, the longer leg position also felt better for extended rides, so that all makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by SpyderSue; 05-01-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

My F3 has caused me on knee problems. If did however cause my calf muscles to hurt at night. The next time I rode it I just put my heel on the frame and problem solved. Love my F3.

Spyder Garage

Sue
    We fitted Rivco floor boards for our RS and that made a lot of difference, but you still cannot move your feet far enough forward. They end up 2" lower and maybe 6" further forward. I don't know how you can ride with the original pegs!

We fitted floor boards to our F3 to help with foot placement - it's quite comfortable but we chose a Corbin seat because the oem ones were really bad. You might also find a rider's backrest to be useful, and the short reach bars (which are the ones which come back closest to you).

We still have the RS and the seating position is so much improved on the F3 it's like an entirely different concept.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Hi there Sue! Well I traded my RS for an F3 and the difference for me is night and day. The F3 stock seat is great, it supports your lower back
    and the adjustability of the foot pegs is a boon. I can ride all day and not suffer. I have fitted some foot boards and they allow me to move my
    feet around more which is good too. My advice would be to try the F3 on a long run before you alter anything.
    You may just like it the way it is out of the crate!

Here's a picture of the foot boards I fitted:

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Hi there Sue! Well I traded my RS for an F3 and the difference for me is night and day. The F3 stock seat is great, it supports your lower back
    and the adjustability of the foot pegs is a boon. I can ride all day and not suffer. I have fitted some foot boards and they allow me to move my
    feet around more which is good too. My advice would be to try the F3 on a long run before you alter anything.
    You may just like it the way it is out of the crate!

Here's a picture of the foot boards I fitted:

Nice ride! I'm looking at the LTD Special Edition, so it comes with the floorboards - which I think I will like very much. My dealer is letting me take a 2 to 3 hour test ride while they do some work on my GS, so I'll get a good sense of how it fits on roads I know and love! Thanks for the encouragement - this is exactly was I was hoping to hear