Spyder Garage

Default I can't make up my mind!!!

I've been looking for quite some time at both the RT and F3. I've tried to find a good used 2014 or 2015 RT in my area but have discovered that right now dealers have better deals right now than individuals. I feel sorry for those who upside down on their RT's.

With that said - I've narrowed it down to two bikes that are both priced at $18000. The first is a new 2015 Black RT with manual shift (doesn't bother me) and the second is an F3-S-SE6. Identical prices but I know by the time I add what I need to on the F3 I'll be into for closer to $20000. The frugal and practical side of me says to buy the RT. The adventurous and cool factor side says to go after the F3. I know they are very different rides. I'm just torn because I know I will be happy with either bike.

I haven't read of anyone who has gone from an RT to an F3 and regretted it. Yet, I know I'll get a lot more bike with the RT. Any thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just went from an RT to an F3T and do NOT regret it. But you should consider what type of ryding you want to do. If you'll be 2-up, I'd lean toward the RT. Your passenger would probably appreciate it. Also if you'll be doing long, long distances. That being said, I do mostly tour ryding and just switched to the F3T! So I think you could make either one work.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I ride alone - and do mostly shorter rides. If I were looking at 2016 models and could get an F3T for the same dollars it would be a no brainer. I hate to invest over $20,000 into a toy I don't ride a ton. Most my friends ride on weekends and I stay home to preach!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't ride very much then find a nice used one. There are plenty around.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I just went from an RT to an F3T and do NOT regret it. But you should consider what type of ryding you want to do. If you'll be 2-up, I'd lean toward the RT. Your passenger would probably appreciate it. Also if you'll be doing long, long distances. That being said, I do mostly tour ryding and just switched to the F3T! So I think you could make either one work.
    Very we put simple and to the point!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    If you don't ride very much then find a nice used one. There are plenty around.
    Yeah - I want a 2014 or 15 - but people are asking more for used than dealers are offering on their left-over 15's.

Spyder Garage

I went from a ST to a F3. I consider the ST sportier than the RT.
    I couldn't be happier that I made the move to the F3! The F3 way out-handles the Rt. It's faster 0-60+ because it's lighter and geared lower. The u-fit system makes getting it fit you just right a snap.

Drive them both, and I think you'll find the F3 so much more fun and sooooo much better handling in the corners. IMO

I'm not trying to put down the RT though. It's a great bike.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

Have you tested both rydes..?? That's where you will feel and see the diffrrence. We can all tell you what we think and like but you are the one that will be ryding it and if you have a partner well ...then they want a say in it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It took me 3000 miles of owning the F3 to realize that I really dislike the feet-forward riding position and for one big reason: when you go over a bump (which I do plenty, with the roads we have), you can not stand up on the pegs and you land on your bum; your spine absorbs the impact and it's a major issue for me. I did not realize this after a half-hour long test ride. Now I've given up my RS-S and am financially upside down on the F3 so looking for a way to make the riding position be less rough on my spine (considering adding Lamonster's 3rd peg, it won't allow me to use brakes or shift gears so I can't always use it but at least I'm hoping to stand up on those pegs if ever I find myself on a very bumpy road). Make sure you take them both for a good long ride before you decide.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Default Great point RE: standing on the pegs

I too need to stand on the pegs, though not as much on 3 wheels as on 2. I have sat on some F3s and realized that my spine might not take to the feet forward position, but didn't even think about standing on the pegs.

Good post - Thanks.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    It took me 3000 miles of owning the F3 to realize that I really dislike the feet-forward riding position and for one big reason: when you go over a bump (which I do plenty, with the roads we have), you can not stand up on the pegs and you land on your bum; your spine absorbs the impact and it's a major issue for me. I did not realize this after a half-hour long test ride. Now I've given up my RS-S and am financially upside down on the F3 so looking for a way to make the riding position be less rough on my spine (considering adding Lamonster's 3rd peg, it won't allow me to use brakes or shift gears so I can't always use it but at least I'm hoping to stand up on those pegs if ever I find myself on a very bumpy road). Make sure you take them both for a good long ride before you decide.
    2019 Black F3-T

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
    I too need to stand on the pegs, though not as much on 3 wheels as on 2. I have sat on some F3s and realized that my spine might not take to the feet forward position, but didn't even think about standing on the pegs.

Good post - Thanks.

-Bill
    I also would stand on the footboards of my RTS when going over rough pavement, like train tracks, etc. The F3L comes with footboards, and I added them to my F3T. I don't know if they are available for the F3 or F3S.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

You can buy foot boards for the F3. I saw some large boards here the other day
    that cater for both the passenger and rider.

Spyder Garage

I just got a call from my local dealer who will match the price on the 2015 F3 S SM5 that the dealer 250 miles away had. So for $15999 plus tax and license I can get a new F3. That gives me some extra cash to purchase a windshield and set that sits me back farther - and maybe floorboards - and other stuff! The decision has just gotten much easier!!!

Spyder Garage

All of this is pointless unless you have ridden both models. They do differ quite a bit.
    Each has it pros and cons.
    People usually switch models because they are looking for something different: ride, position, handling, performance, etc.
    All those parts can add up.

PS: As frugal as I can be, I know from experience the more comfortable the bike is, the more you will ride it. Find what fits you best.... then you will make up reasons to ride it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robertl View Post
    All of this is pointless unless you have ridden both models. They do differ quite a bit.
    Each has it pros and cons.
    People usually switch models because they are looking for something different: ride, position, handling, performance, etc.
    All those parts can add up.

PS: As frugal as I can be, I know from experience the more comfortable the bike is, the more you will ride it. Find what fits you best.... then you will make up reasons to ride it.

Yes, I've ridden the RT but I will take the F3 out before I sign on the dotted line!

Spyder Garage

these should solve your problems:

http://www.sealcreativeconcepts.com/...ards/products/

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Godlover View Post
    Yes, I've ridden the RT but I will take the F3 out before I sign on the dotted line!
    Take a good long ride on that F3, if you can, and then decide. I have ridden an F3 on several occasions just for the fun of riding something different. But each time I do, I'm glad to get back on my RT. I'm just not comfortable on an F3 and would never buy one. I'm not saying that it's a bad design for everyone - it's just me - my legs don't fit where they need to be no matter how it's adjusted. My point is... Be sure before you buy so you'll have no regrets.

Same goes for the ME6 transmission. I know you said you'd be comfortable with it, but the SE6 is REALLY nice, once you get used to it. Again, that's my opinion, but a lot of folks here - even those who have ridden motorcycles for years - have said they'd never buy the manual transmission AFTER having owned a Spyder with the electronic one. There are a lot more RT's with the electronic transmission than with the manual transmission.

Not tryin' to talk you out of anything, but you DID ask for opinions.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Take your time

Get the dealer to let you try both on a long ride. How you ride definitely makes a difference. If you are going to ride 2 up some of the time the second seat will definitely appreciate the RT a lot more. I came off a Harley Ultra Classic which is really comfortable for the passenger. It wouldn't hurt to have your passenger along on the trial rides. That is if you ride 2 up at all. I can tell you that on my RT I don't worry about bumps in the road and don't have to stand on my floorboards. The other post is right, if you are comfortable ride a lot more and be a lot happier. Just my 2 cents worth from going throug the same thing. I am fortunate that my dealer would put a dealer tag on whatever I wanted to try and be gone for the whole day if I wanted.

Good lick and happy trails.

Spyder Garage

I just bought a F3 S last Friday. We put about 60 miles on it Saturday and when I got home my calf's hurt. Sunday we road on a 50 mile trip and I put my heals on the rails next to the foot pegs. Made all the difference in the world. No leg cramping at all. Try this or get foot boards.

Spyder Garage

Well, my mind is made up and I bought a F3 S today. I pick it up next week. Thanks for the suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! Your going to love it. You made the right choice!
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was looking at a few pictures and I wonder if anyone has done anything creative with that seat. I seem to get the impression that if the driver's part of the seat were about 2" higher, could the foot controls still be properly accessible...I can't ryde with my feet that far forward and my RS is nigh on perfect.

Just random thoughts from the crazy englishman.

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the purchase! I've had my F3 for a year and love it. I highly recommend the 3rd peg that Lamont sells. It makes it so much easier to get on and off the Spyder, and as others have mentioned, it gives you an option to "stand on the pegs" when going over rough patches of road. I do that whenever I encounter those road conditions. Plus, it gives you another foot position when riding long distances, when you know you won't likely have to hit the brakes.

As as far as switching from an RT, my wife will be doing that in a week. She couldn't make Spyderfest this year on her 2011 RT, but loved a picture of an F3-T at Cowtown in Cuba, MO that I sent her today when we stopped in, so we're coming back in a week to trade in her RT on the new F3-T!
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)