Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Secret Code for the Foglights

I ordered the TricLED LED headlights and foglights because .... somewhere deep down inside I know that LEDs are better.

First, hats off to TricLED. These lights are great - very white, very bright. No problems installing the bulbs. Not so much for Can-Am - digging down to the headlights is a much more complicated procedure than I think it should be.

Here's the rub. The TricLED instructions do not address how to dig down to the foglights. The Spyder manual says "See your authorized Can-Am roadster dealer for the bulb replacement procedure." I went to www.cheapcycleparts.com to see an exploded diagram, and it lists the foglight parts as "Not available" and the diagram made me just a bit quezy.

So - what's the secret code to dig into the foglights? If I need to I'll just start removing bolts and clips until the part comes loose, but sometimes that approach leads to issues. For example, to get to the headlights you've got to remove a nut from a cable from inside the wheel wells on either side of the bike, far from intuitive. Is it safe and reasonable for me to just tear into the front, or can one of you provide some pointers?
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Have the same problem - 2012 RT SE5 Anxious to see some responces.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems a lot like this...

https://youtu.be/4EnaAFyrcQM
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I tried the Hokey-Pokey, but I broke one of the bulbs and cut myself n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HEADLITE REMOVAL - RT

There are a couple of panels to remove, but it's mostly quite a few bolts that have to come off ( I don't know about the FOGS ) The headlite adjuster cables are a pain to fish their way back down to the attachment points after you do the LED switch. The panel around the healites has to come off ...Of course you start with both mirrors because there are bolts at the top of the panel....then open the frunk , and there are two more bolts at the bottom of the headlite panel.....after that is off ( it's harder to get back on because of all the tabs that need to be lined up ) each headlite has 3 or 4 - 10mm bolts you will need a long socket extension to get some......there isn't much extra room in this area for the headlite units so getting them back in is harder than out.......Looking at a FICHE' from any of the after-market parts sellers ( if you don't have the shop manual ) is a big help because it shows you what everything looks like before you start........Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks, got the headlights done, it's the fog lights that I'm nervous about digging in to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

You can get to them through the a- arm opening. The bulb covers are right there.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I have replaced my fog lights with led's. It is much easier to pull the frunk off. If you try to snake it in you will probably break the bulb doing the left hand side.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Firefly (Dan) just added some TricLED headlight bulbs, and he wasn't too happy with the results...
    How do you like yours?
    Are they a "Whiter" beam of light, and can you see much better with them?
    (If I hear good things about them; I might consider an upgrade to them at SpyderFest...)

Spyder Garage

I have the HID kit for driving and fog lights. I installed myself, and yes, it was a PITA, with the factory airbox installed. The headlight adjust cable is a simple 22mm nut, then move it out of the way. I found it also helped to release the upper cover around the fog light. It has a couple of blade looking tips that have metal clips underneath. That gave me just enough clearance to get my fat mitts under there...hahahahahaha.
    Now, with the JT Aircleaner installed, once initial Tupperware removed, I can reach both sides easily, without removing anything else....
    1. Check fluids & tire pressures.
    2. Start bike.
    3. Hold on.
    4. Full throttle.
    5. Repeat 3-5.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Firefly (Dan) just added some TricLED headlight bulbs, and he wasn't too happy with the results...
    How do you like yours?
    (If I hear good things about them; I might consider an upgrade to them at SpyderFest...)
    I have a friend here in PA who just got them installed by the dealer last week when he bought a new 2016 RT. He loves them and says they are much brighter. Considering what you have to go through to change these out, it sounds like Spyderfest would be a good place to get them.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's what I'm thinking also...
    I put some HIDs in my Yamaha Grizzly 686 ATV... what a nightmare!!

Spyder Garage

Default (Sigh)

I've replaced the headlights. At the point I'd only replaced one, I was able to compare side by side and I really like the brightness and whiteness of the TricLED bulbs. I haven't had the bike on the road since then and I hope I'm not disappointed. So far the TricLED folks have been great to work with.

I'm trying to make a decision - spend the weekend enjoying the bike, or spend the weekend tearing out the frunk and installing the fog lights. As much as I enjoy farkling I enjoy ryding more, but I may not be at peace while I have farkles screaming "INSTALL ME! INSTALL ME!"
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How do you like yours?
    That's true, but he also had the 'covers' on them. Waiting to hear his results with covers removed...

Edit: It looks like he updated his post and now is generally happy, says the covers cut the light like 50%
    Last edited by SpyderSteveFL; 04-15-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was just complaining to him about how he's spending all of my money!
    These look like a good way to go!

Spyder Garage

Default More secret sauce

The TricLED bulbs come with a slightly gold colored plastic sleeve over the bulb, and an extra set of plastic sleeves that are a bit blue. They are not referenced in the instructions so I emailed TricLED and (as usual) got a very quick response. The sleeves are optional and color the light slightly (yellow or blue), and they advised that I remove the sleeves completely.

I had to re-dig into the lights to get to them, but I removed the sleeves and indeed the light is whiter and brighter.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default More secret sauce

The TricLED bulbs come with a slightly gold colored plastic sleeve over the bulb, and an extra set of plastic sleeves that are a bit blue. They are not referenced in the instructions so I emailed TricLED and (as usual) got a very quick response. The sleeves are optional and color the light slightly (yellow or blue), and they advised that I remove the sleeves completely.

I had to re-dig into the lights to get to them, but I removed the sleeves and indeed the light is whiter and brighter.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Semi conclusion....

The temperature today was 75 and it was overcast - perfect ryding weather! I decided to put the byke back together and wait for a rainy day to try to dig into the foglights.

The headlights from TricLED were definitely whiter and brighter. (In my mind) they make the byke for visible during the daytime and I could see very clearly when I rode after dark. I think this is a worthwhile farkle.

If I find a weekend when the weather is bad, the grandkids don't need babysitting and my wife doesn't have honey-dos lined up, I'll write about the next chapter which will be the foglights.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I re-took the front of the bike somewhat apart (headlight bezel, frunk lid, plastic rivets on either side of frunk) and replaced the right foglight with the LED. Like the headlight, brighter and whiter.

I dug into the left side and was able to pull out the old bulb and replace it with the LED. However, the space behind the light is soooooo tight I wasn't able to replace the back cover. I can get it almost in place, but an air duct behind the light is positioned where the cover twists and just won't quite go where it's supposed to. I can get to the back of the light from the top and from underneath and just can't make it work.

PMK suggested that I'll need to remove the frunk. I've been trying to avoid that, but it may be next.

At this point, I thought about just putting the old bulb back in BUT the bulb isn't the issue - I'll have to replace this cover in either case. My overall take on this - replacing the headlights is DEFINITELY worthwhile. Digging down to the fog lights is questionable unless you're better than I am at digging through the bike.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Fog light cover........

Did my fog lights this week also. On the left side, take the push pins out of the trim piece that runs by the frunk, remove the 1 Torx screw at the rear of that panel. You can then pull it out far enough to get you hand in to place the cover in the correct position and snap it in. Made the job very easy.

Spyder Garage

Default Conclusion

I finally got everything in place!

The left side is where it's tough , and all the advice about removing as much trim, bolts, and pins around the frunk is right on. The issue is that there's an air inlet valve that fits so snugly behind the fog light back cover that I simply couldn't maneuver it into position. Not sure, but I don't think this is an issue prior to 2014 models.

So - I managed to route a nylon strap from underneath in the wheel-well up and over the valve piping and down the other side of it. Pulling on the straps from underneath with my right hand I managed to flex the pipe about 1/4 inch away from the back of the light, which left me enough room to maneuver the light cover into position with my left hand. For me, that one cover was absolutely the toughest part of this farkle. Now that it's done, all of the lights are white and very bright.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Next!! Now that you know what you're doing😆

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike