Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This whole discussion is very helpful in understanding the issues with 'real' CB on a bike. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Squeal in Radio

You mentioned using a handheld to test your installation on the and getting a "Squeal". The squeal is likely due to audio feedback from the Trike speakers to the microphone of the handheld. To eliminate this get some physical separation between the handheld and the trike , about 20' should do it, and point the microphone/speaker of the hand held away from the trike. Testing and tuning should be done outside of a building. The FIRESTICK does use the shield of the coax as a ground plane and tuning, it will be affected by adjacent metal. There are other antennas available that are true dipoles that do not depend on the coaxial shield for a ground plane or tuning. Biggest problem with CB frequencies is that they require longer elements due to long wavelength. Short antennas for the frequency involved are poor radiators which reduces range. VHF or UHF systems require much shorter elements, so GMRS/FRS radios work well on bikes/trikes. Newer BLUETOOTH systems are even better for clarity and noise reduction. It's only money!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    You mentioned using a handheld to test your installation on the and getting a "Squeal". The squeal is likely due to audio feedback from the Trike speakers to the microphone of the handheld. To eliminate this get some physical separation between the handheld and the trike , about 20' should do it, and point the microphone/speaker of the hand held away from the trike. Testing and tuning should be done outside of a building. The FIRESTICK does use the shield of the coax as a ground plane and tuning, it will be affected by adjacent metal. There are other antennas available that are true dipoles that do not depend on the coaxial shield for a ground plane or tuning. Biggest problem with CB frequencies is that they require longer elements due to long wavelength. Short antennas for the frequency involved are poor radiators which reduces range. VHF or UHF systems require much shorter elements, so GMRS/FRS radios work well on bikes/trikes. Newer BLUETOOTH systems are even better for clarity and noise reduction. It's only money!
    I decided the squeal problem was being caused by a short, or at the very least, leakage between the mic input wire and one of the speaker wires in the lower cord of the helmet headset thus setting up a feedback loop. All has been good since I got a new lower cord, which I should have done earlier. I did keep the radios far enough apart to avoid feedback between them.

BT has two shortcomings compared to factory CB, transmit range and power supply. The factory CB never needs recharging nor new batteries!

The guys at Firestik did tell me about keeping the cable away from metal as much as possible, after I had it installed, which isn't real hard since there's so little of it on a Spyder! Relocating the antenna cable is one of my winter Spyder projects. The 17' length makes that a trick!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)