Hybrid View

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CB problems - promising development!

I installed a Firestik No Ground Plane antenna and coax on my CB tonight. You must use an NGP coax with an NGP antenna. Preliminary tests in the garage are quite promising.

I installed an NGP 4' long antenna. Since it has a 3/8 -24 thread on it and the BRP has a 6 mm 1.0 thread I had to modify the mounting block. I turned the block end for end and drilled and tapped a 3/8 - 24 thread about 1/2 inch deep. I rotated the block 90° and drilled and tapped a new 6 mm 1.0 thread for the mounting bolt and a 4 mm .7 thread for the coax connector screw. I put these two holes in the same relative position with respect to the antenna thread as the OEM holes. This makes the brass block dual purpose in case for whatever reason I need to reinstall an OEM antenna. The blocks are priced at $49.99 which is why I did not take the easy way out and just drill and tap the existing antenna thread for the new one.

Running and stashing the 17' of coax wasn't a problem. I wrapped a bunch of it into a bow tie loop and put it under the left side rear access panel. You must use a bow tie loop, not a circular one. A circular loop mucks up the electromagnetic tuning of the coax. Then I crossed straight over to the other side through gaps in the plastic under the seat. For now I have it run to the front and connected to an SWR meter for tuning. The SWR jumper goes back to the CB unit.

In my testing and adjusting so far, in the garage, I have no feedback squeal. The SWR is about 1.8 for channel 1, 2.0 for channel 19, and 3 + for channel 40. I have to do more tuning outside where conditions are closer to actual usage.

I will do more testing and tuning today, Wednesday, 4/13, and see how good I can get the settings, how clear the transmission is, and what the range is. I'll post more info and some pics also. I forgot to take pics of the installation before I buttoned everything up but I'll get what I can.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So, how does one tune a NGP setup?

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

You may already know, but tune at Channel 20 mid frequency and the two ends 1 and 40 should fall within acceptable levels.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I installed a Firestik No Ground Plane antenna and coax on my CB tonight. You must use an NGP coax with an NGP antenna. Preliminary tests in the garage are quite promising.

I installed an NGP 4' long antenna. Since it has a 3/8 -24 thread on it and the BRP has a 6 mm 1.0 thread I had to modify the mounting block. I turned the block end for end and drilled and tapped a 3/8 - 24 thread about 1/2 inch deep. I rotated the block 90° and drilled and tapped a new 6 mm 1.0 thread for the mounting bolt and a 4 mm .7 thread for the coax connector screw. I put these two holes in the same relative position with respect to the antenna thread as the OEM holes. This makes the brass block dual purpose in case for whatever reason I need to reinstall an OEM antenna. The blocks are priced at $49.99 which is why I did not take the easy way out and just drill and tap the existing antenna thread for the new one.

Running and stashing the 17' of coax wasn't a problem. I wrapped a bunch of it into a bow tie loop and put it under the left side rear access panel. You must use a bow tie loop, not a circular one. A circular loop mucks up the electromagnetic tuning of the coax. Then I crossed straight over to the other side through gaps in the plastic under the seat. For now I have it run to the front and connected to an SWR meter for tuning. The SWR jumper goes back to the CB unit.

In my testing and adjusting so far, in the garage, I have no feedback squeal. The SWR is about 1.8 for channel 1, 2.0 for channel 19, and 3 + for channel 40. I have to do more tuning outside where conditions are closer to actual usage.

I will do more testing and tuning today, Wednesday, 4/13, and see how good I can get the settings, how clear the transmission is, and what the range is. I'll post more info and some pics also. I forgot to take pics of the installation before I buttoned everything up but I'll get what I can.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    You may already know, but tune at Channel 20 mid frequency and the two ends 1 and 40 should fall within acceptable levels.

AJ
    Thanks AJ, but I meant - physically, how was he going to accomplish it.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Thanks AJ, but I meant - physically, how was he going to accomplish it.
    Are you familiar with CB antenna tuning? If not Google it for some tutorials. All CB antennas need to be tuned, but many require physically cutting the antenna shorter or cutting the wire wrapped around the antenna. That would be case with the BRP antenna, and it's really not designed for that to be done. I think the BRP antenna may be tuned as good as it can be from the factory but the lack of a good ground plane in the bike design prevents getting the SWR down into the proper range.

The Firestik NGP antenna has a screw on the end. You remove the cover, adjust the screw in or out, lock it in place with jamb nut on there, and replace the cover. Firestik website has a good discussion of it. http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm.

I'm finding it a bit of a challenge to get the tuning optimized, but I haven't played with it very much yet. I'm on here right now to get some info about which way to turn the screw to get the best SWR readings.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Sorry for not being clear. That was the essence of my question-whether the antenna had the capability to be adjusted or if you had to try and cut it. I was too lazy to go to Firestik and read up about that specific antenna.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-13-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Doug

Spyder Garage

did you also get the folding mount from firestick? Also is there a reason for having so much extra co ax?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Sorry for not being clear. That was the essence of my question-whether the antenna had the capability to be adjusted or if you had to try and cut it. I was too lazy to go to Firestik and read up about that specific antenna.
    I had to pull the cap off before I knew for sure if it had the adjusting screw.

2014 Copper RTS