Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    By no means do I mean to hijack your thread/
    But am hoping maybe you can help me out here.
    We just purchased a 2014 STS for the wife.
    The salesman said it had audio.
    We can't get it to play (by passes that icon) And we don't see an antenna anywhere.
    Thanks Don
    STS does not come from the factory with audio. Only the ST limited did. Available as a dealer or owner installed option for the ST and STS.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    My guess is the problem lies with the connector train back to the radio, not necessarily the radio.
    I wonder what kind of a mess it is from the cluster to the radio? With everything that is packed under the plastic that might be a challenge, but your though sure makes sense.

UPDATE: Received a call from the dealer this morning saying that BRP wants to swap out the radio. About a $400 part, so my question was if I was buying a radio not knowing if that is the problem. They said that since BRP called for that from the case that was filed if that isn't the problem they will take it back. Won't show up until Monday at the earliest, then we'll see what happens. Good thing the weather around here doesn't look good for the weekend!
    Last edited by gofast4; 04-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    STS does not come from the factory with audio. Only the ST limited did. Available as a dealer or owner installed option for the ST and STS.
    Thanks very much for the info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gofast4 View Post
    I wonder what kind of a mess it is from the cluster to the radio? With everything that is packed under the plastic that might be a challenge, but your though sure makes sense.

UPDATE: Received a call from the dealer this morning saying that BRP wants to swap out the radio. About a $400 part, so my question was if I was buying a radio not knowing if that is the problem. They said that since BRP called for that from the case that was filed if that isn't the problem they will take it back. Won't show up until Monday at the earliest, then we'll see what happens. Good thing the weather around here doesn't look good for the weekend!
    Received a call from the dealer today. They swapped out my radio with a new one to see if that was the problem. Didn't make any difference, audio still not operational. The service guy is getting a little frustrated with BRP as they don't seem to have much in the way of ideas of where to check next. If it problem isn't with the gauge cluster or with the radio, it would seem that the problem lies in between these two items somewhere in the wiring harness. Is there possibly a software problem that an update might solve the problem? I'm just throwing out guesses as that's all I have. BRP will be contacted again, hopefully they have some other ideas as it's time to ride again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gofast4 View Post
    Received a call from the dealer today. They swapped out my radio with a new one to see if that was the problem. Didn't make any difference, audio still not operational. The service guy is getting a little frustrated with BRP as they don't seem to have much in the way of ideas of where to check next. If it problem isn't with the gauge cluster or with the radio, it would seem that the problem lies in between these two items somewhere in the wiring harness. Is there possibly a software problem that an update might solve the problem? I'm just throwing out guesses as that's all I have. BRP will be contacted again, hopefully they have some other ideas as it's time to ride again!
    Actually tracing the wiring through the connector blocks isn't difficult.
    Any qualified tech armed with a schematic, meter or ringlight could do it in about an hour.

Spyder Garage

Testing those lines should be easy enough. The problem may be even good mechanics eyes glaze over when dealing with electrical problems. There are only two wires to trace and test. On the radio connector (RDO1). The CAN wires are pin 16 and 17. White with a black tracer and white with a beige tracer. I would start there. Inspect by pulling the pins from the connector. Then go to connector CIC1. Same color wires there. Inspect by pulling the pins and test continuity to RDO1.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Success!!!

I received a call from Legendary Motorsports in Fargo, ND, the shop working on my Spyder telling me that my radio now works. Whenever you get a call that starts out with "you aren't going to believe this" you know the story should be interesting. Can-Am suggested throwing parts at the problem, starting out with the gauge cluster, radio, wiring harness, and what I think was called the audio harness. The first three suggestions provided no solutions, so the audio harness was ordered. To install this, the rear bags need to be removed. So this was done, and the mechanic noticed that there was a connection near the battery that was not fully connected. He pushed the connection together and lo and behold I had radio! Not sure if the fact that a new battery was being installed when I came to the selling dealership to take this bike for a test ride had anything to do with this, but it is a possibility.

Legendary Motorsports is fairly new to working on Spyders as they carry Triumph and Indian motorcycles, so I can understand why they had difficulty diagnosing the problem. Can-Am wasn't much help, but with Legendary's help I'm back on the road. Great people there and I would recommend them to anyone.

Long weekend coming up, looks like I'll be on the road in style!!!

Spyder Garage

Glad you got it fixed. Happy riding.

It's just too bad that a simple continuity test was not done on the CAN bus lines from the start. That would have found the problem in a 1/2 hour.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

that’s what I suspected.
    I’ll bask in the rare moment.

Anyway, my self congratulatory crap aside, I am happy you now have radio.