Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT Limited on Sale - Thoughts ?

I was out and about when I saw a 2012 RT Limited for sale in the window of a used car dealership. They want $17,995 and it has 1607 miles. So it drew my attention. Now the debate is whether or not to take the plunge.

I am looking for some group thought on whether or not it is a good deal or opinions and suggestions.

Some of my thoughts are:
    It is four years old
    Would you need to replace tires that are probably five years old?
    What about the spark plug wires would they need to be replaced.
    If there is any problems there is no warranty.
    I am checking on Zurich for an extended warranty.
    My worry is that with only 1700 miles it hasn't even been broken in. Will probably need an oil change.
    I was thinking of offering $15,000, not sure that they would be interested and maybe their hope would be to find someone who doesn't know much about spyders.
    What do you think?
    ("It is a great day for hockey." Bob "Badger" Johnson)

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

2012 Bronze RT-Limited Spyder ///SOLD///
    Inspector Gadgets Floorboards $150 & Highway Pegs $65, BajaRon Bar, Corbin Seat & Armrests

2008 Yellow GS SM5 Spyder ///SOLD///
    Corbin Seat, Seal Floorboards, 3" risers, CalSci windshield, DWG Speakers, Spyder front and back decal, passenger foot peg extensions.

2015 Yellow Chevy Camaro Convertible

Spyder Garage

The kelly blue book is: http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/can-a...icetype=retail but I think that price is a bit high. Cycletrader.com has one in Montclair, CA (http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/O...-SE5-117799430) with 9700 miles listed for 15,799.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 spyder V-Twin

If you haven't checked out a Spyder with the 1330 engine ( and done some serious price searching ) you will regret this purchase.............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you haven't checked out a Spyder with the 1330 engine ( and done some serious price searching ) you will regret this purchase.............Mike
    I would agree with Mike, and also, its a car dealership, he just wants to get back what he had to give them which was probably $12K if that. Thing is he probably don't have a clue anything about it. Tell him you want to talk with the old owner. They hate that but if he wants to unload it, he will come about.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Cycletrader.com has one in Montclair, CA (http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/O...-SE5-117799430) with 9700 miles listed for 15,799.
    That is a beauty of a machine.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Opinions...

A new one would be nice no doubt. 2012 was a good year and if your budget is limited and they negotiate this could be a good buy. This is the V-twin 998 a high revving engine and the triple is low rpm's 1330. If you can swing the dealerships price then you should shop around for there are some 1330's out there around that price....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Walk in there with a check for $15 K made out for the Spyder, tell them you will be back in an hour as you are going to get lunch. Tell them that when you get back you want either your check back or the title to your new to you Spyder.

If they give you any guff at the initial point reach over and pick up your check and start to walk out........

That's the way I buy all of my cars and bikes. No haggling, no BS and have saved a bundle.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL is a good year the price is high but check first if you can get an extended warranty these bikes are complicated and can be expensive to fix

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

If this is truly in a car dealership I am guessing that they are going to want to part with it as soon as possible so they should be willing to negotiate a price for you. I would want to see the records of service and have a Can-Am dealer run the VIN to see if all recalls etc had been performed. I like the lunch idea presented above.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    That is a beauty of a machine.
    x 2. those lava bronze's 2012s are sharp!!
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like the lunch idea too, but I'd make the check for $14,000. But then you are in California so maybe real selling prices are higher there.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

i think price is high

My brother recently purchased a 15 rts 2000 miles at a car dealership for same price

13-14 in the ball park

Spyder Garage

I have looked at the 1330 engine because of the lower maintenance issues and I am inclined to get one but I always try to keep my eyes open. I just turned 60,000 miles last week so I have kinda been in the market. Thanks for your opinion!

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Inspector Gadgets Floorboards $150 & Highway Pegs $65, BajaRon Bar, Corbin Seat & Armrests

Corbin Seat, Seal Floorboards, 3" risers, CalSci windshield, DWG Speakers, Spyder front and back decal, passenger foot peg extensions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimcrom View Post
    I was out and about when I saw a 2012 RT Limited for sale in the window of a used car dealership. They want $17,995 and it has 1607 miles. So it drew my attention. Now the debate is whether or not to take the plunge.

I am looking for some group thought on whether or not it is a good deal or opinions and suggestions.

Some of my thoughts are:
    It is four years old
    Would you need to replace tires that are probably five years old?
    What about the spark plug wires would they need to be replaced.
    If there is any problems there is no warranty.
    I am checking on Zurich for an extended warranty.
    My worry is that with only 1700 miles it hasn't even been broken in. Will probably need an oil change.
    I was thinking of offering $15,000, not sure that they would be interested and maybe their hope would be to find someone who doesn't know much about spyders.
    What do you think?
    I bought a 2012 RTSE5 last summer with 500 miles for $15500. Luv it and have had no problems yet. 6000 miles on it now. Can get extended warranty. I probably should its risky. My uncle has 2012 rt and he has had nothing but problems. Spends more time at mechanics than riding. And they never fix problem. Lost reverse multiple times. Wouldn't shift. Muffler fell apart. starter went.vibrations. Wobbles. Etc etc. In shop again misfiring and can't fix . lucky they have warranty but still have to pay some charge for each time. And they aren't riding much. Cross my fingers.
    Last edited by Glorie; 04-13-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Not done

Spyder Garage

I like that idea. I don't like negotiating on cars or motorcycles always feel like I am going to be screwed. That is why I always go to no haggle dealerships.

Quote Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
    Walk in there with a check for $15 K made out for the Spyder, tell them you will be back in an hour as you are going to get lunch. Tell them that when you get back you want either your check back or the title to your new to you Spyder.

If they give you any guff at the initial point reach over and pick up your check and start to walk out........

That's the way I buy all of my cars and bikes. No haggling, no BS and have saved a bundle.

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Spyder Garage

I am trying to find out if Zurich will do an extended warranty on a 2012. According to one dealer it was two years $1000 & three years $1300. Trying to confirm that is the deal.
    Course I am not a big fan of third party extended warranty after getting the shaft from Western Service when they wouldn't cover the sprocket on my 2008 and said it was wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    2012 RTL is a good year the price is high but check first if you can get an extended warranty these bikes are complicated and can be expensive to fix

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Spyder Garage

It does seem that Calif is higher than the rest of the country. Maybe they realize how we can ride pretty much year round. $15000 + 7.5% tax=16,125.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I like the lunch idea too, but I'd make the check for $14,000. But then you are in California so maybe real selling prices are higher there.

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Spyder Garage

I like that idea. I don't like negotiating on cars or motorcycles always feel like I am going to be screwed. That is why I always go to no haggle dealerships.
    Trust me you are getting screwed there too. Track down the previous owner to find out two things, any issues and what they gave him.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I am doing that. I thought I heard him say that it was owned by a woman in this rec area. Trying to track that down. but with only 1600 miles, it is not like there was a lot of chances to see it driving around the area. How can you have something for 4 years and it only have 1600 miles?!?

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Trust me you are getting screwed there too. Track down the previous owner to find out two things, any issues and what they gave him.

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default USED 2014 RT's

It does seem that Calif is higher than the rest of the country. Maybe they realize how we can ride pretty much year round. $15000 + 7.5% tax=16,125.
    Have you checked E-bay for used 2014 RT's ......if it has over 7500 miles you can legally bring it into Calif.......imho $ 15,000 for a 2012 RT is way out of line with market prices.....KBB & NADA are also out of line with real world buying / selling prices.........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-13-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Surprised at the KBB listing. Seems a bit high compared to others I have seen advertised on SL in the 4 sale threads.

I had a 2011 RT A&C for sale for $13,500 and got no takers. Decided now that I will most likely keep it. 20K miles, BRP comfort seat, fog lamps, trunk light, Seal PUP floorboards. Driven by a little lady only on weekends (that is true, true, true).

I would think about $14.5 K would be more than a fair price. Do some due diligence, get the VIN and have a dealer run it for you. Get the history and see what the story is. 2012 has a reputation of being one of the best of the 998's. Trust but verify.

The dealer should be willing to dump it cheaper than the price they are asking--since I am guessing they don't want to be in the motorcycle business. And, I would guess the trader got between 10K - 12K.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm not getting a lot of bites on my 2013 RT base listed at $12,499, although one couple did come today and took it for a short ride. They have a Paggio but want to move to a Spyder. I couldn't get a real sense of their reaction to the price. I said give me a check for $12,000 and take it out the driveway! I missed one probable sale the other day because I didn't check my temporary phone I set up to take calls for the bike. The guy bought another one for cash!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

I am doing that. I thought I heard him say that it was owned by a woman in this rec area. Trying to track that down. but with only 1600 miles, it is not like there was a lot of chances to see it driving around the area. How can you have something for 4 years and it only have 1600 miles?!?
    Just remember when you close the deal on the RT don't forget to register for the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally! You will love it!

https://sites.google.com/site/norcalspyderrally/
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

This one has Calif plates on it so that is not a problem. Not really interested in purchasing out of State.

Now the next question is do the tires have to be replaced after five years? What about the spark plug wires? Does rubber hoses in this situation need to be changed?

Have you checked E-bay for used 2014 RT's ......if it has over 7500 miles you can legally bring it into Calif.......imho $ 15,000 for a 2012 RT is way out of line with market prices.....KBB & NADA are also out of line with real world buying / selling prices.........Mike

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

Spyder Garage

I am giving it serious consideration. It may also include the wife and the dog since she hasn't been in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Just remember when you close the deal on the RT don't forget to register for the Nor-Cal Spyder Rally! You will love it!

https://sites.google.com/site/norcalspyderrally/

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar