Spyder Garage

Default First Service 14' RTS SE6

Has anybody changed their own oil and filter to save money on the first service? Seems it would save on labor cost and the oil would be cheaper if you done it yourself, thoughts?
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

The first service is not that painful and I recommend you have it done by the dealer . They have a lot of diagnostics to run and check the whole unit out to make sure it is breaking in right and make any changes needed to softwear etc. After that your good to do your own work. Many do their own oil it is a simple job and most of the maintenance can be done as the manual indicates. jmo....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah, what he said....

Well said.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kindly throw another "" on the pile...
    Let them look the bike over for the first service. You can always get greasy with the later ones!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry maybe I didn't land my point or question. They are still doing the first service just not the oil and filter part, my understanding is I can do that myself and save around $125.
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

I did that exact thing on my 2015. I still had them do the service but they deducted the price of the oil and labor. Of course, I bought a BRP kit for the change.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    Sorry maybe I didn't land my point or question. They are still doing the first service just not the oil and filter part, my understanding is I can do that myself and save around $125.
    In that case:

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL & FILTER

Except for some warranty work I had done, I have done all my own Servicing......On the 1330 engine it's mostly checking things....Just follow the maintenance schedule ( however I change Oil at 5,000 miles or less and I don't follow the dumb tire rotate thing ).....Mike

Spyder Garage

I did ALL the services on my 09GS and 2012 RT AND Later on had a DPS replaced on the GS and a Position Sensor replaced on the RT. BRP DID NOT withhold Warranty work just because I didn't have them do the FIRST service?
    I have done the same on 12 Jet Skies and NEVER had warranty work denied!
    On my F3 I bought the kit on Amazon and will be doing the First Service Myself as I have had No problems or codes and will go by the Checklist!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I would still let the dealer do a complete first service.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I just don't see the reason to pay a higher price for them to change the oil when I can do it, ya know? They can service all the other things!
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The first service is not that painful and I recommend you have it done by the dealer . They have a lot of diagnostics to run and check the whole unit out to make sure it is breaking in right and make any changes needed to softwear etc. After that your good to do your own work. Many do their own oil it is a simple job and most of the maintenance can be done as the manual indicates. jmo....
    x 2. If you have a good dealer (mechanically), they can perhaps catch any little glitches that may rear their heads later.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default BUDS Diagnostic

If I do my own servicing now that dealer has done first one, would I still need to take it in for BUDS diagnostic on every service to keep warranty in tact?
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Realizing that the rules may be different in England...)
    I don't think that they can force you to bring the bike in for a BUDS hookup, in order to maintain your warranty. At least that's not how it's done over here...
    You might want to check this with your dealer...
    It's a good question!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (Realizing that the rules may be different in England...)
    I don't think that they can force you to bring the bike in for a BUDS hookup, in order to maintain your warranty. At least that's not how it's done over here...
    You might want to check this with your dealer...
    It's a good question!
    Thanks Bob
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

If your engine "Self Destructs" and they run a Buds and see you have spent 90% of the time above 8,000 RPM I think You Pay?
    If they do a Buds and your in the Normal range Your Fine!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2014 RTS had only 654 miles on it when I bought it in December. It was sold originally in August 2013. I will be well over 3000, probably even 4000, miles by the time I get back from Spyderfest. I asked the service manager the other day should we do the 3000 service early, like at 1200 miles, or should I just change the oil and filter now and delay the 3000 service until later. His recommendation was to change the oil and filter now, which I did myself, and do the 3000 mile service 1000 or 2000 miles late. I will provide the oil, Amsoil Metric 10w-40, and the filter, when they do the service. That way they know for sure the oil is changed. I'll do the oil changes myself from then on.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Finally had the 3000 mile service done. Would have done it sooner but other activities and dealer schedule came into play. Current mileage is 5928, so you could say I was a tad overdue! But this was OK with the dealer as I state in my post above. I'm all set now all the way to 15,200 miles!

For those who are interested and wondering, the dealer charged 2.5 hours for a total of $195. No charge for parts as I supplied the oil, Amsoil, and filter, from BajaRon. The tech went through the entire maintenance checklist for the 3000 mile service and all was OK.

They also replaced the right saddle bag inner unit as the hinge broke during my trip to/from Spyderfest. Now I just need to get and install the hinge reinforcements from Doc Humphreys. He is the one who makes them, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

Had my 2014 over 2 years made all oil changes never went to shop except to buy filters . Never had a issues

Spyder Garage

Default don`t do what i did

Has anybody changed their own oil and filter to save money on the first service? Seems it would save on labor cost and the oil would be cheaper if you done it yourself, thoughts?
    I have been doing my own oil changes on my bikes for about 35 years and never thought I would have this problem.
    the dealer did the 1st oil change I did the second one and changed to dimple plugs, as I was replacing the plug on the clutch cover
    I just about got it snugged up and it seemed to start to get loose so I STOPPED right there and it wasn`t leaking so left it like that
    now the problem, went to do my 2nd oil change and turned the clutch cover plug only about 1 turn and it just loosened up wouldn`t come out or tighten up after trying many things that didn`t work I put a thin putty knife between the head and used a impact wrench and slowly took it out BUT only half of the dimple plug came out it broke in half. now I BRING IT TO THE DEALER they get the plug out say they can`t put a time cert in it. and had to take it apart and replace the clutch cover. so that oil change cost $850.00
    since the oil changes are only one or two per year I think I`ll bring it there from now on.
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.