Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Headlight modulator for LED headlights

Kisan now offers a modulator that works for LED bulbs. I installed one to modulate the Xenon Depot bulbs I put into my 2014 RTS.

I used the Kisan P115W-H3 (LED) Pathblazer modulator connected into the low beam wire. That is the one that provides power to the headlight. The high beam actuates the shutter. There is a jumper between the high and low beam circuits to keep power to the bulb when high beam is on. I used that jumper to insert a normally closed push button switch. The Kisan has a mode that right after you turn on the headlight if you interrupt the power 3 times within a few seconds the modulator will program itself to turn on & off the modulation at the light level the sensor is seeing at that moment. Because of the start up procedure of the Spyder the normal method of turning the key on and off three times won't work, hence the use of the push button.

I made the harness using AMP 1.5 TE connectors, and wire I had available. The easier way would be to buy made up pigtails with the needed connectors and just splice it all together. Or, if you're OK with cutting the factory harness just cut and splce the modulator into place.

Kisan recommends installing the modulator into the high beam circuit only. To turn modulation off just switch to low beam. Well, that doesn't work on the Spyder with the single element headlight bulb. In my setup both beams modulate. In order to manually turn off modulation I inserted a toggle switch into the wire going to the sensor. The sensor is connected to the modulator with a four conductor wire but only two are actually used.

The sensor must be pointing more or less straight up. The outside corner of the dash was the best place I could figure out to mount it. I put a piece of shrink tube around the sensor body and press fit it into a hole drilled into the top of the dash. I snaked the wire down around the speaker to the modulator.

In order to see if modulation is working I connected an LED indicator lamp to the headlight circuit and mounted it in the dash where the plastic goes down to the handlebar skirt.

Here's a schematic of how I wired it up, minus the sensor and indicator LED lines.

Here's a pic of the harness. I missed getting a pic of the wire that goes to the daylight sensor and the switch I spliced into it.

Here's the location of the sensor and the sensor switch.

Any questions, just ask away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MODULATOR

Very nice, I have thought about having this feature but had no idea where to even start the process.......thank you very much ........Mike