Spyder Garage

Default Very Short Distance Towing over weight limit. Good or bad? You vote.

I have an aluminum trailer that weighs 710 LB's empty. I'll be using it to haul my 2014 RT with our motor home. I'm a new motor home owner and not experienced at backing up the beast (35 ft) much less with a trailer attached.

Most campsites are laid out as "back in" configurations. Since I have a hitch on the RT and I could easily swap out the 1 7/8 " ball for a 2 ". What I'd like to do when arriving at a campground is unload the Spyder then use it to park the trailer in the camping slot. We are probably talking 100' or so at each campground maybe 10 - 14 times a year.

That's 310 lb's over the specified capacity of the Spyder at low speed for a very short period of time. Is it worth the risk or am I bat sh*t crazy? You tell me. I can take it. :-)

--Rod
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

Personally, i think you would be OK just be gentle and don't get crazy with it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I would think you'd have no problem except if it's on wet or sandy conditions the Spyder might just want to spin the rear tire. I know I tried to back mine up a slight incline in gravel and it just dug a hole.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default Pull-thru

We tow our Spyder with our motorhome all over the U. S. and we have had very little problem getting a pull-thru camp site. That way you don't have the headache of backing.
    2012 CanAm Spyder RT-S SE5
    SENA SMH5 Bluetooth Headsets
    Diamond R Armrest, Passenger Tour Mug, Driver Tour Mug
    Opitma Driver-Backrest
    Seal Deluxe Floorboards
    RIVCO-Trunk Mounted Flag Holders
    Ram Ball GPS Mount
    AST3 Ultimate Towing Trailer

8th Air Force
    96th BG, 413th BSq

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    I would think you'd have no problem except if it's on wet or sandy conditions the Spyder might just want to spin the rear tire. I know I tried to back mine up a slight incline in gravel and it just dug a hole.
    But the redneck comes thru & has to ask have you tried to move trailer by hand? t doesn't sound much bigger than a. Mower single axle tilt trailer.... & i find those to be very squirmy & easier to just tilt & pull /push into place personally. I do have country boy size in my favor, but some trailers make it quite ez

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MOVING A TRAILER

IMHO moving a 750lb. trailer is much easier if you don't hitch it to ANYTHING.........just pick up the coupler and push or pull to where-ever.....................A few years ago I moved my Snow-mobile trailer 450lbs with two 650 + lbs machines on it in my gravel driveway.......and I was 65 at the time.........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-11-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll be fine. Towing is more about load control at speed and being able to stop. 310lbs over loaded to simply menuver the trailer around is nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Doable....

Now my curiosity is peaked....have you wrangled a trailer with your spyder. Cause even if you have with the 622 or similar this is a different creature. Although the bigger the easier. I would try the manhandling first and then move on to the spyder. Not worried about the total weight on flat ground but the tongue weight may not be healthy. Hate to over think this but if the trailer has a tongue wheel just push it.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tongue weight

I'd be more concerned about tongue weight than trailer weight.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Actually, I don't tow a trailer with my Spyder, so I'm not qualified to comment there, but I do have a lot of experience with motorhomes. From that perspective, here are a couple of points with respect to your situation... First, most campgrounds have storage lots where you would be welcome to drop the trailer, usually at no cost, to get it out of the way. In fact, many campgrounds have rules that prohibit you from storing a trailer or a car dolly on your site. In any event, dropping the trailer in a storage lot (or some out of the way place) at the campground will be much easier than trying to maneuver it in a camp site. Get a tongue lock for the trailer, and you won't have to worry about someone stealing it while it's out of sight.

Secondly, you may not think so now, but you will quickly get the knack for backing the trailer with the motorhome - especially if you have a rear view camera. Unlike backing a towed car with 4 wheels down (which is nearly impossible), backing a trailer is really not that hard. If you will be traveling with someone else, it helps if you have them get out and be a "spotter" for you while backing ( especially at the camp site, whether or not you are backing with the trailer attached).
    Last edited by robmorg; 04-11-2016 at 10:14 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I'd do it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Backing up a motorhome ( mine is a class A, 34 ft) is not easy all by itself. Add a very short wheelbase trailer and you will be all over the place. I can back up a 20 ft snowmobile trailer fine but even that responds quickly to steering wheel moves.
    Your best option is a pull thru site or remove the trailer before backing. Just my .02$ worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Well whatcha gonna try?

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The unknown here: How the bike will be able to handle the "stopping & starting" part of the deal.
    Nice and easy, and you'll be fine!
    If you get that trailer moving too quickly: it WILL drag you around...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My $0.02 worth....

1. If the trailer pushes easily I wouldn't worry about it. If you're pushing it uphill and it takes a lot of throttle, it may be hard on your transmission.
    2. You mentioned getting a 2" ball. You can buy a "ConvertABall" and change from 1 7/8" to 2" instantly. Look on Amazon.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

id do it. IMO unhooking the trailer from the motorhome before trying to back it in will save your nerves. Backing in a motorhome that size is easy, with a trailer attached is another story. I have driven the same size motorhome and parked it in places with an inch or two to spare on either side. That is easier than backing up a regular 20' boat trailer with a pick-up
    Happy trails, towing your spyder behind you is going to make for an awesome camping trip. my brother and i were talking about going in on a trailer but havent dont it yet, we wanted one that could take both our spyders and it gets pretty pricy
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great input!

The trailer does have a tongue wheel and can be manhandled on smooth pavement. Most of the time that will work. Likewise when I can get a pull through I'll take it. And I'm really happy to hear that many campgrounds have storage areas. That will be the ideal solution.

Eventually I'll be more comfortable backing it in with the RV, but I'm not there yet. So I think that when I'm faced with a good distance or difficult back in situation I'm going to hitch it to the Spyder and do a lawnmower cruise to get it where I want it. :-)
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

Get a trailer dolly, I have one and will never pull/push my trailer without it. There are several on amazon, here's a good one http://www.amazon.com/Tow-Tuff-TMD-6...omotive&sr=1-4

be sure to get one with pneumatic tires.
    Last edited by Indyron; 04-12-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indyron View Post
    Get a trailer dolly, I have one and will never pull/push my trailer without it. There are several on amazon, here's a good one http://www.amazon.com/Tow-Tuff-TMD-6...omotive&sr=1-4
    This would be my suggestion also.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I move our little Homesteader Aerodyne cargo trailer around the yard with either our RT or RS Spyders. The cargo trailer is just a bit too heavy to turn around by hand in the backyard grass but no problem for the Spyder. I'm guessing the tongue weight is at least 60 to 80 lbs. and the trailer weights more than 400 lbs. I wouldn't take it out on the roads with a Spyder though.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller