Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MC Crash

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    Headlight modulators are a useful tool, Just don't get too complacent with it. Most cages have no idea why your headlight "seems" to be flashing. I had a man pulling a boat pull out in front of me-Thinking I was giving the "Go-ahead signal". Fortunately, We were only going about 30 or 35 mph and was able to stop in time.
    This seems to be a common problem where the car driver thinks the modulated light is a signal. Generally blinking lights are signals. Can't remember where I read it but there is a higher incidence of cars turning left in front of the oncoming modulated MC. I was contemplating one and read this and decided against it. In my 20s I had two accidents with cars turning left in front of me. Went to brighter bulbs instead.

A word of warning about brightness. If you are lighting up the interior cabin of a car, you are blinding them. Older drivers are susceptible to night blindness from this even during daylight. Ann rides the Can Am and has been blinded by a MC and couldn't see the road for several seconds afterward. Very dangerous. I have a MC friend that went to HID lights and at night almost every car flashes him. I told him he needed to tone it down or I wouldn't ride with him again; he didn't, I don't. Brighter is good - blinding is bad. Please don't hurt my wife.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    This seems to be a common problem where the car driver thinks the modulated light is a signal. Generally blinking lights are signals. Can't remember where I read it but there is a higher incidence of cars turning left in front of the oncoming modulated MC.
    I'm skeptical. First, the modulation frequency is much higher than what anyone can generate with the turn signal lever. If a driver can't recognize that something is different he's not going to recognize your existence on the road. No kind of lights will help in that case.

Second, I can tell you there have been several times when I've seen cars suddenly stop when they were getting ready to pull out in front of me. There is no question in my mind the headlight modulation caught their attention. I've been using one for 10 years now.

There was one time at dusk after the modulation had turned off due to low light a car was going to pull out in front of me at an intersection. I flashed my lights a half dozen times. He finally figured out I was on a motorcycle reasonably close, not a car a half mile down the road, and waited for me to pass by.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Can't find study I read on left turning vehicles into modulated lights. But,,,,

No statistical benefit from NHTSA:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...19745492,d.eWE

View point from reputable Total Motorcycle with references for further reading/study:
    http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/v...ic.php?t=31170

If you feel better with them, go for it. For me not worth the money and I stand by what I read. For me, brighter but not blinding lights! IMHO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    Can't find study I read on left turning vehicles into modulated lights. But,,,,

No statistical benefit from NHTSA:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...19745492,d.eWE

View point from reputable Total Motorcycle with references for further reading/study:
    http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/v...ic.php?t=31170

If you feel better with them, go for it. For me not worth the money and I stand by what I read. For me, brighter but not blinding lights! IMHO
    The NHTSA report is interesting, but I have a couple of issues with the study. First, the 32 participants all knew they were engaged in a study of awareness. That had to have created a bias compared to the real world situation of trying to get motorists to become aware in the first place. Second, the physical orientation of the test vehicle and subjects with relation to real world traffic flows was unrealistic.

The Total Motorcycle comment is more an expression of the author's assessment than a reiteration of factual information.

The nature of the issue, making motorists aware of oncoming motorcycles from the left, is by its nature a very tough nut to crack. Did you read the RAF pilot's explanation I link to above? He has a very rational explanation of why motorists do not see motorcycles, and it is not always a case of negligence.

As far as annoying car & truck drivers my attitude is I'd much rather have them pi**ed off at me and know that I am there than not be pi**ed and not know I am there. If flashing lights are of such minimal value why are they used on emergency vehicles, flying airplanes, on school buses, and on the top of radio towers?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I have not had anyone come close to turning into my lane. I use this, I don't know if this is the reason, but it can't hurt. It's not the standard modulated headlight.

http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/PB_Features.shtml
    Last edited by Rogue Hawk; 04-18-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I haven't seen a trucker do that in years.

I do it almost every time I am passed. Been doing it for years in my trucks. It is a courtesy we try to pass on to each other. Not always reciprocated.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

same set up as you do Bob. That Spyder Pop's Lighted Bumpskid gets more attention that I ever thought it would. even during the day!!!

might want to look into the Custom Dynamics Brake Light for your trunk. sure makes a huge difference on the rear of your bike and it's an easy install.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I took these shots of mine today, when I stopped to note the passing of the 10,000 mile mark.
    It seems to be lit up reasonably well...

2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    Also, remember that truckers use the flashing headlights as a "pull-over-it's-safe" signal.
    jb

Sadly, human beings are notoriously accident prone and someone seeing a modulated (wobbly) headlight approaching them for the first time may assume it means whatever they want it to mean.

Being more noticeable on the road is a worthy aim but IMO safety requires that any new scheme intended to bring this about first requires publicity.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Being more noticeable on the road is a worthy aim but IMO safety requires that any new scheme intended to bring this about first requires publicity.
    Publicity would be good to help make the public aware of what modulators are. Once in awhile I still see people pull over thinking I'm an emergency vehicle. I may send a letter to the editor of the local paper to get at least a little bit of info out there. As far as being a new scheme here in the US modulators have been out well over 15 years, maybe even around twenty. The current federal regulation was issued in 2000.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Once in awhile I still see people pull over thinking I'm an emergency vehicle.
    Sharing the attributes of an emergency vehicle, have you thought of carrying a couple of flares and a small quantity of bandages?

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.