View Poll Results: Is Plug & Play important?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plug and play with oem connectors is the only way I'll buy a part.

38 46.91%
  • I'm good with tapping using a quality connection like a Positap

14 17.28%
  • Does not influence my decision at all.

16 19.75%
  • I'd prefer a choice of tap and plug and play knowing that the tap version is less expensive.

13 16.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How important is "Plug & Play"?

When you look at products, how much do you base the purchase of the part being plug and play?
    lighting - electrical - tutorials @ Electrical Connection

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewis/ec View Post
    When you look at products, how much do you base the purchase of the part being plug and play?
    A lot ! Thanks to engineers (and I'm one of them) things are getting so complicated that you need a degree in electrical engineering to work your toaster.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For non-critical applications, good ol positap is fine since I have a modicum of shadetree mechanical skills. But with a lot of Spyder's systems it messes with the CANBUS and other circuits, throwing codes etc - I'd rather have P&P.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PLUG & PLAY

I'm a DIY'er and design and build all my Farkles from things I find on E-bay. It mostly involves re-purposing something that it wasn't designed for originally..................And I dis-agree with asp125 on the Can-Bus thing above.......IMHO it effects very little that you would be FARKELING ................Mike

Spyder Garage

I am at the bottom of the heap when it comes to installing farkles. On an item as complicated (for me) as the , I defer the installation of 99% of the accessories to the dealer or helpful mechanic friends who know the . In this case it was the NtA people who visited last summer. I got lazer alignments and had KOTT grills installed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm good either way but my customers prefer plug and play. It's not always that easy to do as you know.

Spyder Garage

Default COST!

I'm with BlueKnight911. I like to get stuff off Ebay and make it work for me. I like the challenge.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mostly I make my own OEM compatible connectors wherever I want to connect directly into the Spyder harness. For me, it's a more wallet friendly approach. I like to stay away from tapping into the bike wires as much as possible. Plus, a lot of plug n' play doesn't play the way I want it to play!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .......IMHO [the Can Bus] effects very little that you would be FARKELING ................Mike
    I agree with Mike. But I still prefer "plug 'n play" simply because it's easier, and it generally does not cost a lot more. OTOH, if there is an electrical farkle I want, that it NOT plug 'n play, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Given options, I would put more emphasis on the quality and operating features, rather than the "plug 'n play" feature, but if all else is equal, I'll choose the plug 'n play. (There was no choice on the survey for this answer.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Smile Solder and shrink tube?

I know how to solder and properly use shrinktube. I don't like crimps at all. Ask any V-max owner---- A factory crimp is the first thing you fix ( by soldering). Plug and play is good------ but many,many electrical problems occure at some kind of connection or switch.

Electrical problems cause::::
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I prefer my things as idiot proof as possible.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

Depends how much you are comfortable doing. I can go either way but will admit the plug and play is cut and dry in many cases much like its name. Being much like BLUEKNIGHT911 I like making my own and find it quite easy to do....plug and play is a great help to those that don't...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lamonster View Post
    I prefer my things as idiot proof as possible.
    No worries there Joan, you got the Lamonster!!!!
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default STRANGE AND AMAZING - FARKLE'S

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I agree with Mike. But I still prefer "plug 'n play" simply because it's easier, and it generally does not cost a lot more. OTOH, if there is an electrical farkle I want, that it NOT plug 'n play, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Given options, I would put more emphasis on the quality and operating features, rather than the "plug 'n play" feature, but if all else is equal, I'll choose the plug 'n play. (There was no choice on the survey for this answer.)
    Rob, to bad you aren't going to Spyderfest, you will miss the un-veiling of my AMAZING " AMBER GLOW " which is completely scratch built from raw materials ........But you will see it at SPYDERQUEST ...............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-11-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default SHRINK TUBE

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    I know how to solder and properly use shrinktube. I don't like crimps at all. Ask any V-max owner---- A factory crimp is the first thing you fix ( by soldering). Plug and play is good------ but many,many electrical problems occure at some kind of connection or switch.

Electrical problems cause::::
    Kaos
    Heat Shrink tubing seems to be very expensive for what you get, until now......BANGOODS.COM sells the stuff in one meter lengths for approx.$ 2.00 to $3.00 delivered .....this is the smaller sizes that you would use 4mm to 8mm read the specs carefully because some of it is double shrink but the good stuff is triple shrink with adhesive .....Happy shopping.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi lewis,

Re: how much do you base the purchase of the part being plug and play?

I'm a retired Mech Engr; luckily my son-in-law is an Elec Engr.

I've been working on vehicles since I bought my first one in the summer of 1954.

I've done my share of stripping wires, crimping/soldering, heat shrink tubing; you name it.

If I were developing a product, I would make it 'Plug & Play' as much as possible.

I can agree with BlueKnight911 & Chupaca; I can make it work from parts but at this point in life I prefer to keep the stress to a minimum.

You need to know your market; and Spyder folks are older than the norm. I think that it is called KISS.

Many, many years ago I was offering some thoughts to a guy who was developing a product. He said that he wanted it like a telephone. In those days, when the telephone guy showed up, everything that he had to install or take out was simply plug & play. The telephone company saved a lot of money when they went to that system.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Your question is exactly the reason why I had you send me the install instructions for your LED taillight product.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I like to dabble and install but always prefer P and P!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    I'm with BlueKnight911. I like to get stuff off Ebay and make it work for me. I like the challenge.
    LOL

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I sure don't mind a little crafting, but I want to know that when I'm done it's going to work, and what is going to be involved.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Default plug and play, please

I'll be late to the farkle party. I have zero mechanical ability. That's why the Limited was a great choice for me....

Spyder Garage

As long as I have a video or instructions to install, like Lamonster's products, I'm good either way.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewis/ec View Post
    I think if you can make something plug and play you would have everyone who is interested in the product buying it. If it is not you are probably eliminating about 60% of your customer base.

2015 F3 SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since I'm at the bottom-end of the "Skill-Pile"; I prefer Plug & Play...
    But since I'm also just stupid enough to think that I can do it; I'll cut into wires, and make all sorts of adventurous things happen!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile Thanks,Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Heat Shrink tubing seems to be very expensive for what you get, until now......BANGOODS.COM sells the stuff in one meter lengths for approx.$ 2.00 to $3.00 delivered .....this is the smaller sizes that you would use 4mm to 8mm read the specs carefully because some of it is double shrink but the good stuff is triple shrink with adhesive .....Happy shopping.........Mike

Thanks, Mike,

I got a good buy at a local store that was having a big sale. I like the fact that I now have a good selection of different sizes of shrink tube. I still have some from decades ago that a friend gave me ( it's too small for even medium gauges of wire though). I just like the current carring capasity of a soldered joint.

Kaos
    Last edited by Lew L; 04-12-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: speeling?????
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default HEAT SHRINK TUBING

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Thanks, Mike,

I got a good buy at a local store that was having a big sale. I like the fact that I now have a good selection of different sizes of shrink tube. I still have some from decades ago that a friend gave me ( it's too small for even medium gauges of wire though). I just like the current carring capasity of a soldered joint.

Kaos
    .......I agree on the soldering thing, and I hope people don't think you can just twist wire together and use HEAT SHRINK on it and that it will be fine .......Mike