Thread: Wind protection

Spyder Garage

Default Wind protection

I keep flipping back and forth on getting an RT or F3. How is the wind protection on the F3 compared to the RT?

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Godlover View Post
    I keep flipping back and forth on getting an RT or F3. How is the wind protection on the F3 compared to the RT?
    I have never been on an RT. But my new 2016 F3T wind protection is phenomenal. I sit slightly above the windshield and get almost no wind in my face. This weekend I was out for a ride and my wife called me. I answered on my Sena headset with my face sheild up and going about 55mph. She said it sounded like I was outside, but there was no wind distortion. I say go with the F3, you will love just about everything that bike has to offer.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I've been on both, and the F-3 in standard form is like riding a regular motorcycle that doesn't have a windshield . The RT even in rain keeps you mostly dry as long as you going at least 50 mph.........Of course you can get larger Windshields for the F-3, but you had better find one and test it out before dropping that kind of money and discovering even the largest windshield just won't do..........................good luck......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

Both models can be modified with a variety of windshields available for both. Stock standard, as mentioned above, the F3 has nothing to help but the RT may not help you either depending on you height. That is only one thing cause the two machines are totally different. Seating, handlings etc...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just bought a new F3T this weekend and it has the stock wind screen. I usually wear a half shell. I get almost as much wind in my face as my old cruiser. My RTS has great blocking ability. Has anyone in here purchased an after market windshield for the F3T with positive results, if so, what brand and style?
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Godlover View Post
    I don't have an F3, but I can tell you that the RT is equal to the Venture in terms of wind and rain protection.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Test drive an F3 with windshield

I have an F3. I agree with Blueknight911, test drive an F3 with a windshield before buying. I dropped over $400 on the OEM Blue Ridge windshield and it does not work for me. Terrible helmet turbulence.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    I just bought a new F3T this weekend and it has the stock wind screen. I usually wear a half shell. I get almost as much wind in my face as my old cruiser. My RTS has great blocking ability. Has anyone in here purchased an after market windshield for the F3T with positive results, if so, what brand and style?
    But be careful: Joanie will steal your RTS away from you!

of it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But be careful: Joanie will steal your RTS away from you!

of it?
    I posted this in another thread, but if you're wanting to see it again to convince yourself to buy one for your wife...here it is:

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I can't speak to the "new generation" F-3 because I have the OLD 2015 model, but I put an F4 shorty windshield on the F3S and I am perfectly happy. The wind stream goes just over the top of my head and I look just over the top. From all reports, the new shield on the 2016s are just fine from the factory! BTW, I had 2 RTs before the F3! Try the F3, you will love it! Happy hunting!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As you can see below I have a 2015 F3-S - I have foolishly spent over $700 and countless hours of DIY experiments and have not found a windshield that works for me - solo rider. My thought (and just a thought - not fact) is that the riding position is to low and to far back from windshield mounting position. I am still experimenting with a mounting position closer to rider but won't complete for another month or so. I have been able to eliminate the head bobble but still get strong buffeting wind to body at highway speeds.

If you decide to go the F3 route I would recommend test riding a 2016 F3T at highway speeds - it does have the windshield mounting closer to rider, which has a better chance of working. I plan to test ride one, when one is available locally.

I have read where several riders of 2015 F3's have success with their windshields (both OEM and aftermarket) and I am happy for them. Numerous Threads on the subject that you might want to check-out.

From what I have read on this forum the RT and its windshield are superb in every way.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT and the wind protection is great. We rode this past saturday and the winds were gusting to 40 mph and temps were as low as 40 degrees. I never had any issue. Except, I test drove a F3T at the open house. Not near the wind protection, but if the wife doesn't ride more this year, I could see one of those in my life this fall.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've been on both, and the F-3 in standard form is like riding a regular motorcycle that doesn't have a windshield . The RT even in rain keeps you mostly dry as long as you going at least 50 mph.........Of course you can get larger Windshields for the F-3, but you had better find one and test it out before dropping that kind of money and discovering even the largest windshield just won't do..........................good luck......Mike
    Mike you are most likely correct about the F3/F3S, but the new F3T/Limited models have completely different ergonomics. With the new mirrors and plastic around the headlights I found the wind protection to be very good on my short demo ride, and It was a very cool cloudy day when I rode it. It was probably not as good as the RT but not bad either. I have not ridden an RT since 2014 so there was no back to back comparison.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Helpful information here. I was looking at a leftover F3 to save money or a used/new RT. I had a 2011 RT for a short time but sold it because I want the bigger engine. With my sinus issues wind can give me quite a headache. Yet, the seating position on the F3 is my preferred position! Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Spyder Garage

Just yesterday I commented how I am not feeling the wind on my legs like I did on my RT. I have a 25" F4 Windshield, I am 5' and Have no complaints on the F3 and wind issues.. On my 2010 RT the wind hit my knees bad so I added Baker Air Wings and an F4 windshield to correct the issues.
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".