Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3-T or Harley Freewheeler...hmmm

Trying to choose between the two. I realize that I'm on a Spyder forum so the feedback will be biased (that's okay!). Here's my situation.

I'm on a Yamaha Stratoliner right now and it's a great bike. But I miss having a trike, especially for two-up riding. I had a 2011 Spyder RT-S before and it was in the shop as much as it was on the road. I loved it when it ran but the last straw was when it went into limp mode for the 6th time while I was running 70 mph on the highway. That's a nerve-wracking experience! While my dealer in Texas was great, I was disappointed in Can Am's lack of response and assistance.

Now I live in Arkansas. There's a well respected Harley dealer one block from my office. Meanwhile the local Can Am dealer is not well thought of in town. My visits there have not done anything to build my confidence in them either (three visits with a request to test ride an F3, three excuses as to why they could not accommodate me). If I buy the Harley, I feel pretty confident that I'll be well taken care of and any service issues can be handled. The giant trunk on the Harley is appealing as well.

But the F3-T is a compelling bike. What to do?

Honestly, the only thing (given my disappointing history with Can Am) that allows me to consider the Spyder is that I'm about 2 hours from Springfield, MO which is the home of Pitbull Powersports and Lamonster Garage. Obviously both are well spoken of here. But 2 hours up the road vs. a block away for service, repairs, accessories, etc.

If I decide on the Spyder then I'm definitely not buying local, I'll need to drive the two hours to see what Pitbull offers. But I'm gunshy about Can Am with my history. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts, especially if you've had the opportunity to ride both the Harley and the F3.
    2011 RTS-SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

It's all in the test ryde...the 1330 engine is the most maintenance free unit to date and in its short lifespan the one with least problems. If you loved you previous one you will be crazy about this one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Test Rides await.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
    Trying to choose between the two. I realize that I'm on a Spyder forum so the feedback will be biased (that's okay!). Here's my situation.

I'm on a Yamaha Stratoliner right now and it's a great bike. But I miss having a trike, especially for two-up riding. I had a 2011 Spyder RT-S before and it was in the shop as much as it was on the road. I loved it when it ran but the last straw was when it went into limp mode for the 6th time while I was running 70 mph on the highway. That's a nerve-wracking experience! While my dealer in Texas was great, I was disappointed in Can Am's lack of response and assistance.

Now I live in Arkansas. There's a well respected Harley dealer one block from my office. Meanwhile the local Can Am dealer is not well thought of in town. My visits there have not done anything to build my confidence in them either (three visits with a request to test ride an F3, three excuses as to why they could not accommodate me). If I buy the Harley, I feel pretty confident that I'll be well taken care of and any service issues can be handled. The giant trunk on the Harley is appealing as well.

But the F3-T is a compelling bike. What to do?

Honestly, the only thing (given my disappointing history with Can Am) that allows me to consider the Spyder is that I'm about 2 hours from Springfield, MO which is the home of Pitbull Powersports and Lamonster Garage. Obviously both are well spoken of here. But 2 hours up the road vs. a block away for service, repairs, accessories, etc.

If I decide on the Spyder then I'm definitely not buying local, I'll need to drive the two hours to see what Pitbull offers. But I'm gunshy about Can Am with my history. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts, especially if you've had the opportunity to ride both the Harley and the F3.
    Do not buy either one. Well, until after you have test ridden each. Can't get a test ride on one or the other, then that one is eliminated. Each handles and rides differently than the other and differently again from a 2-wheeled vehicle. Many people would consider 2 hours within the 'local' region!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    It's all in the test ryde...the 1330 engine is the most maintenance free unit to date and in its short lifespan the one with least problems. If you loved you previous one you will be crazy about this one...
    The 1330 is a different beast the the 998 Now per the dealership comments, they all have their issues now & then HD too consider your time frame & fair effort. The F3 has become quite popular & with the demo days team visiting dealers, they have been scheduling test rides for them ( more manpower,& more bikes, insurance.....) when they came to my area there was a 2week madness So maybe you can sign up for that on the BRP sight or break out & enjoy pitbulls Let us know
    Last edited by Bfromla; 04-06-2016 at 03:34 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default I Have Both Bikes

I have a 2015 Harley Davidson Breakout Softail, and a 2015 F3. I use the Harley as my daily driver, and the F3 for two up riding.
    The F3 is great, but in Los Angeles in traffic. It's like driving a car. The Harley gets be by all that. 2 wheels is great to have if
    your budget can handle it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For safety and handling: F3
    For ride quality: F3
    For big inch grunt: HD
    National dealer network: HD
    For 2-up riding: depends

Both are bare machines. To make the F3 into a two-up ride you'll spend another $2 - 3K beyond the bike. I found the solid axel conventional trike configuration to be an uncomfortable ride for the passenger. But the F3 requires a more proactive ride style for the passenger.

We have bought 4 Spyders over the years and have settled on a dealer that is 90 miles away. They were the dealer of the year in this district. Pitbull is the dealer of the year for all of BRP. And they are reasonably close to you.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Not up to date on the HD models anymore, are you looking at their trike? If so, once of their biggest drawbacks is it is a solid rear axle. I have owned and ridden many true trikes over the years (Boss Hoss, HD, Goldwing) and I can tell you the solid axle is a shoulder killer. If you hit a bump or uneven ground the solid axle transmits the force and causes to front forks to want to turn and you have to muscle them straight... Turns are a lot more work on a true trike regardless of the suspension. You have to muscle it around and you really have to watch your speeds in the curves and cornering. You will get some wheel lift if you are to fast and I can tell you the first time it happens to you it will scare the crap out of you.

if you ride two up your passenger will think they are riding a buckboard....

i have had torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders along with a bad back, that's why I sold my Boss Hoss trike and bought the spyder. It was a 1500 lb beast with 500 hp . It was a work of engineering art but riding it was a lot of work

hope that helps

mark
    Last edited by Nyparrothead; 04-06-2016 at 06:45 AM.
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

I am 3 hours from Pitbull Powersports and Lamonster Garage, more than willing to make the drive for good service. I suggest that you call Pitbull and see what that have to offer. In todays world you can do some amazing thing over the phone with people that understand the product.

Spyder Garage

Ride both and then decide. I think the handling of 2 wheels in front is going to be better than 2 wheels in back.

I understand your hesitation after your last experience. I had issues with my last spyder too (had a check engine light off and on for months -- luckily it was a minor issue causing it, but still... to drive around with the check engine light all the time and having to check codes every ride to see if it still was the minor issue...). They did get it resolved.

Anyhoo -- the F3 is SOOOOOOO different from your last spyder it's almost like it's a different animal. I've had mine for over a year and over 14000 miles an had 0 issues and only 2 visits to my dealer for maintenance.

If you're within 2 hours of good dealers, just consider it a good reason to go for a nice ride.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I was considering trading in my '11 RTS, I seriously considered the Tri-Glide, too. I didn't have problems with the RT, but the HD dealer network for maintenance, etc. was attractive. Then Len reminded me that the new 1330 engine has such a long service interval, I wouldn't need to be at the dealer so much, anyway. But I test rode the HD anyway. It just couldn't compare to the Spyder. Steering required muscling through the turns, and I missed the SE transmission.

BTW, I'm 300 miles of Pitbull in Springfield and won't shop anywhere else. If only they were just 2 hours from me . . . that would be a lunch run!

Good luck with your decision, and let us know how it goes.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I have ridden both and can tell you that the Canam is the safer, more comfortable ride. I recently rode with a Honda conversion and I could easily loose him in the corners. The safety features built into my 2014 RT help to ensure that the wheels stay planted. Power wise we were pretty much evenly matched. He seemed to get off the line a tad sooner but I easily overtook that in the first couple of seconds.

Spyder Garage

How is the F3-T for riding 2-up for "larger" folks like myself? I'm 6'2", 260 lbs. Add the wif to that and we'll be around 400 lbs total.
    2011 RTS-SE5

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you have some "gunshy" issues with the Can AM brand. Sorry to hear that, but some dealers have gone out of their way to sabotage the brand.

Personally, I went to HD to test the trike when it first came out. For me, the ergos were totally wrong and I did not even make it to the test drive. The sit, start up, and shake were enough to make me run to for a test.

I ended up with an RT instead. As others have said, a test drive is most important. Two entirely different machines. Only you, will know which one is best for you.

Let us know how it goes for you.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-06-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Go up to PitBull and get them to let you test ride a F-3, then twist Len's arm a little bit and you will have a new F-3 in your garage and you will be real happy. Go up on Friday morning and i will help you twist Len's arm because i will be there for some service work.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

You don't need no stinking Harley!!
    just kidding. Both are great machines. Ride both and then decide!!
    good luck.

Spyder Garage

Can say anything about the triglide but the F3T is by far the best Spyder I've owned. I love this bike. I never want to get off of it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Now THAT'S one beautiful HD Softtail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sg2848775 View Post
    I have a 2015 Harley Davidson Breakout Softail, and a 2015 F3. I use the Harley as my daily driver, and the F3 for two up riding.
    The F3 is great, but in Los Angeles in traffic. It's like driving a car. The Harley gets be by all that. 2 wheels is great to have if
    your budget can handle it.
    one beautiful HD Softtail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget to compare insurance cost on them. When I first shopped, the Spyder was priced as a trike because the insurance companies didn't know how to price them. The traditional trikes are obviously more "tippy" than a Spyder so their rates are pretty high. Just something to consider as you're comparing the two.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default FreeWheeler, or F3-T???

From a Styling standpoint: you've got some thinking to do!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    The 1330 is a different beast the the 998 Now per the dealership comments, they all have their issues now & then HD too consider your time frame & fair effort. The F3 has become quite popular & with the demo days team visiting dealers, they have been scheduling test rides for them ( more manpower,& more bikes, insurance.....) when they came to my area there was a 2week madness So maybe you can sign up for that on the BRP sight or break out & enjoy pitbulls Let us know
    I am not sure it BRP will do it this year but during the State to State demo sponser rides in 2015 they gave you a 1k 30day discount on any spyder. And that was on top of any dealer discounts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

From a Styling standpoint: you've got some thinking to do!
    Completely different styles but each beautiful in their unique way!
    2011 RTS-SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Compare

Mechanically, the Spyder is a better machine. Speed and power? Spyder. Handling? Spyder. Braking? Spyder. Style and tradition? HD. Dealer network? HD. Price point? Spyder. Have had Harleys for 35 years. Love them. That said, ride both, back to back, and see!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is really the age-old "Blondes versus Brunettes versus Redheads" question...
    The only correct answer is, "You Betcha!"

Spyder Garage

In the end, it's what floats your boat. Seeing the pictures side by side, not hard for me to make up my mind. Don't even need a test ride in this case.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage