Spyder Garage

Default Shake, rattle & roll...

Last year was our first full year ridding our 2011 rt-limited. Had servicing done at the end of the season, late Sept., at 17,000 miles. The bike has been stored over winter in our semi heated garage (40-50 degrees).

We had the opportunity to take her out twice when the temps rose into the 60's, both times, we would start out and travel less than a mile and the front would shake vilently for a second or two and then the shaking goes away and we can travel some 50 miles and it doesn't happen again.

Are the tires getting flat spots, is this normal? She never shook when taking her out most every day last riding season. Any ideas???

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Do you know if there is " RIDE - ON " in the tires. At low temps this stuff " congeals " (?) in one spot and it takes a bit for it to loosen and work correctly as a BALANCER ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

you may need some more extended rydes to get things round and balanced once again. If it does not go away then check a bit deeper...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Based on cause/effect, I think Mike has hit the nail on the head.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree. Good chance you're running Ride-On. Make sure tires are inflated properly. Ride easy until you get them warmed up and round again. Riding with the front end shaking is going to create new issues.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Not trying to hijack but This brings up a concern about ride on(ive yet to try)... If that is the problem.. Surely it has a better temperature tolerance than that?

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Not trying to hijack but This brings up a concern about ride on(ive yet to try)... If that is the problem.. Surely it has a better temperature tolerance than that?

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS
    It's not so much temperature. But time sitting. If you let the Spyder sit stationary for several months, some of the Ride-On tends to settle to the bottom. Not a big deal. Most people take it easy on their Spyder until it reaches operating temperature anyway. A good idea with any internal combustion engine. Even if you don't use Ride-On you'll get some of this same issue anyway because a flat spot will from at the bottom of each tire if it sits this long.

If the Ride-On has settled, you'll usually start getting some Out-Of-Balance issues around 30-40 mph. If you can run just below or right at the speed where this begins to occur for a few miles it will work itself out. If you run at the 'Shake-Rattle & Roll' speed, it will actually take longer and it isn't good for your suspension or steering components. It doesn't take long for the Ride-On to even out and as it does you can go faster and faster without issue. The colder it is the longer it takes. But you should be back in balance in 3-5 miles at the most.

If you ride your Spyder twice a month you'll never experience this. If you let it sit a month or more you probably will. Like I said, not a big deal. You'll find a much greater level of aggravation if you ever get a flat tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It's not so much temperature. But time sitting. If you let the Spyder sit stationary for several months, some of the Ride-On tends to settle to the bottom. Not a big deal. Most people take it easy on their Spyder until it reaches operating temperature anyway. A good idea with any internal combustion engine. Even if you don't use Ride-On you'll get some of this same issue anyway because a flat spot will from at the bottom of each tire if it sits this long.

If the Ride-On has settled, you'll usually start getting some Out-Of-Balance issues around 30-40 mph. If you can run just below or right at the speed where this begins to occur for a few miles it will work itself out. If you run at the 'Shake-Rattle & Roll' speed, it will actually take longer and it isn't good for your suspension or steering components. It doesn't take long for the Ride-On to even out and as it does you can go faster and faster without issue. The colder it is the longer it takes. But you should be back in balance in 3-5 miles at the most.

If you ride your Spyder twice a month you'll never experience this. If you let it sit a month or more you probably will. Like I said, not a big deal. You'll find a much greater level of aggravation if you ever get a flat tire.
    very good information & well stated thank you

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I used ride on in my tires on my 2011 rt and it did not work well in cold weather took a long time to get tires to balance out

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    I used ride on in my tires on my 2011 rt and it did not work well in cold weather took a long time to get tires to balance out

Which version did you use?

How cold was it?

How long did your Spyder sit between rides when you had the problem?

What tire pressures were you running?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could always jack the front of the bike up, and try spinning the front wheels by hand a little bit...
    If there's anything in there that has settled into one spot; you'll know it...
    This would also give you a chance to check out your front wheel bearings, and the condition of the pads and rotors up front.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Old Timer Can Learn....

Thanks for all the responses! I can safely say an old timer can learn something new. I have never heard of ride on, don't know if it has been used on our ride, but does sound like it may be the culprit. I goggled ride on just to learn what it is. Since we haven't replaced the front tires, it could be exactly our situation.

Spyder Garage

I just had to replace my front tires at 20K as they failed and did what your saying...

2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default There have been others...

My '12 RTL would shimmy/wobble pretty good at about 43-45mph on many occasions, but not always. It was difficult to reproduce. The subject was kicked around here and consensus at the time was it could be tire separation I've since acquired new tires all around and not had it again.
    There have been other threads describing front end shimmy/wobble...could make for interesting reading....
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=wobble
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

17,000 is a lot of miles on those 2-ply stock tires in my opinion. I've had brand new Kenda's from a dealer that gave me wobble issues. I'd spring for some new tires... and put some ride-on in them as it will help balance them out. After sitting awhile it is fairly common for the ride-on to need to re-balance for the first few miles. I prefer aftermarket tires like Bridgestone Potenza's for the fronts.

You also could have some flat spots if you let the Spyder sit for a long period of time. I usually jack mine up just enough to get the tires off the ground when parking it for a long time.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

It was the recomended spec for motorcycles it was about 40 degree hadn't set but 4 days never did balance out after 20 miles interstate was fine in the summer