Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Help 2016 RTS vs F3 Limited Can't Decide

I am a woman rider and have been on 2 wheels for many years. Due to a back issue I need to switch to 3 wheels. I like the comfort on the RTS but hate the side load bags. Other than my dog no one will be riding on the back. I have been told the F3 handles corners better but it does not feel very comfortable when I sit on it. I definitely want all the comforts, heated seat, grips, could add the corbin top load bags. I will use it mostly for long day rides. If anyone has ridden or owns both I would appreciate the feedback on comparison.

Spyder Garage

Get an F3 T or F3 LTD. They are supposed to be the missing link between plain F3 and the RT.

I have two RT's, have test sat the F3 and don't really like it. Even with the U-fit adjusted to my size. Have not made a test ride yet.

You will find it does take a test sit at a minimum and better yet, a test ride to see which model is really for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The F3 is like a sportbike the RTS is for touring very comfortable take a ride on the F3 and you'll find out the wind wants to blow you off the bike

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

Have you tested them both on the road..?? That would clear things up for you in just a few miles. Side opening bags are something you can live with if the ryde is right...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I too am a female rider with decades of riding 2-wheelers who has recently switched to a Spyder. I chose the RT after originally planning to get the F3-T for several reasons, but possibly most pertinent to you is that, I too have a bad back (from a horse wreck years ago) and I like my feet to be straight under me. Granted, I'm used to that position from horsebacking, MCing, and ATVing, but I also feel that when my legs are angled forward, as the other models require, it tires my back. AND, with your feet more in line with your hips, you can more easily raise your weight out of the seat to reduce spinal shock when hitting bumps or potholes.

Also, don't be too quick to dismiss the cargo capacity of the RTs. You may very well decide that it's a blast to go shopping on your Spyder. And, although I originally considered the passenger seat to be extraneous, I now realize that it offers all sorts of perks, like strapping a sack of horse grain onto it or a large purchase that juuuust doesn't fit into the frunk or simply that many more groceries.

In short, my admittedly newbie opinion is that the RT is very comfortable, lets you rise into the "two point" position, hugs the corners just fine!!, and allows more fun stuff to be done with it.
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 03-28-2016 at 07:41 PM.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have you tested them both on the road..?? That would clear things up for you in just a few miles. Side opening bags are something you can live with if the ryde is right...
    The RT and the F3 are two extremely different bikes. I've ridden both and even though they share the same engine and transmission, they offer very different riding experiences. Just go take some extended test rides, and pick the one that's right for you. If you do that, you will know which one to get - I assure you. A lot of it will depend on how your body fits the bike. If your body is more comfortable on one bike than it is on the other, the decision is a no-brainer.

As for the side bags if you choose the RT, don't worry about them. You'll get used to the side opening doors, and in fact they do have some advantages. You just pack them differently. If not, you can always get inserts for them.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-28-2016 at 10:09 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Madam, if you have BACK issues ....are you really going to be CRANKING it in the TWISTIES ??????,,,,,Get the RT and just be Happy.................However there are people who will wear MINK coats in the SUMMER because it looks NICE on them.......................Who are you ??????..........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only Day-Long rides?
    You might want to keep in mind that the RT has a bit over double the storage capacity of the F3 you mentioned.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since you're a two-wheeler, I'll provide you the same advice I gave someone who asked this question just a few days ago.

The F3 is a bit like the Harley Fat-Boy. Fast, lean, cool, no storage capacity for much more than a helmet.

The RT is like the Harley Road Glide Ultra - Smooth, comfortable, feature packed, lots of storage. Probably won't corner quite as well as the F3 but still corners faster than I want to.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wings2fly View Post
    I am a woman rider and have been on 2 wheels for many years. Due to a back issue I need to switch to 3 wheels. I like the comfort on the RTS but hate the side load bags. Other than my dog no one will be riding on the back. I have been told the F3 handles corners better but it does not feel very comfortable when I sit on it. I definitely want all the comforts, heated seat, grips, could add the corbin top load bags. I will use it mostly for long day rides. If anyone has ridden or owns both I would appreciate the feedback on comparison.
    This is my wifes F3 and it's going up for sale soon, in the next couple of days. It has everything you're asking for and more. Contact me if you think you would be interested.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Since you're a two-wheeler, I'll provide you the same advice I gave someone who asked this question just a few days ago.

The F3 is a bit like the Harley Fat-Boy. Fast, lean, cool, no storage capacity for much more than a helmet.

The RT is like the Harley Road Glide Ultra - Smooth, comfortable, feature packed, lots of storage. Probably won't corner quite as well as the F3 but still corners faster than I want to.
    except they and don't break down as often

For comfort there is no comparison, go with the RT. If you add everything onto an F3 i think its as much or more than an RT. As for the side loading bags you get used to them. I use them all the time.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Don't sweat the RT bags. You will use frunk and trunk MUCH more.
    You better go for comfort. Unable to hold up your own weight with your feet
    out in front of you (F3) you will carry all your weight on your tailbone, and that
    can't help any back issues you have.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks I think your comment about the riding position convinced me.

I also have a knee replacement and cannot ride with my legs out front. Still want to figure out the fix for the gas on RTS. My dog rides with me and I don't want to take her carrier on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    I too am a female rider with decades of riding 2-wheelers who has recently switched to a Spyder. I chose the RT after originally planning to get the F3-T for several reasons, but possibly most pertinent to you is that, I too have a bad back (from a horse wreck years ago) and I like my feet to be straight under me. Granted, I'm used to that position from horsebacking, MCing, and ATVing, but I also feel that when my legs are angled forward, as the other models require, it tires my back. AND, with your feet more in line with your hips, you can more easily raise your weight out of the seat to reduce spinal shock when hitting bumps or potholes.

Also, don't be too quick to dismiss the cargo capacity of the RTs. You may very well decide that it's a blast to go shopping on your Spyder. And, although I originally considered the passenger seat to be extraneous, I now realize that it offers all sorts of perks, like strapping a sack of horse grain onto it or a large purchase that juuuust doesn't fit into the frunk or simply that many more groceries.

In short, my admittedly newbie opinion is that the RT is very comfortable, lets you rise into the "two point" position, hugs the corners just fine!!, and allows more fun stuff to be done with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wings2fly View Post
    I also have a knee replacement and cannot ride with my legs out front. Still want to figure out the fix for the gas on RTS. My dog rides with me and I don't want to take her carrier on and off.
    I'm so glad my leg position comment was helpful. We have bad knees in common, too! I don't have a replacement, but yet another horse wreck of mine permanently damaged my knee. In fact, when I started out on my RT ride the other day, my knee was hurting from heavy chores a couple hours earlier, but after a few miles, I was pain free.

I do see your predicament, though, about having to raise the seat to fill the tank while Fido's on board. I guess I'd just say that it might be the compromise of choice. And, although the RTs don't get impressive mileage at about 35mpg, it's not like you'll be hitting the pumps at every mile marker. In addition, I don't know how small your dog is, but if her carrier (or one that you might have to custom-make) can fit behind you, that passenger backrest might make her ride more stable, especially if you add armrests for even more wrap-around security. Plus, it might act as a wind barrier, which could make her more comfortable on cool days. Just a thought.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are after market seats with gas doors or you can have a hinged one added to the stock seat. Ultimate and Corbin both have options for gas doors.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    There are after market seats with gas doors or you can have a hinged one added to the stock seat. Ultimate and Corbin both have options for gas doors.
    Well, there ya go! I may look into that myself someday. Cool!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    This is my wifes F3 and it's going up for sale soon, in the next couple of days. It has everything you're asking for and more. Contact me if you think you would be interested.
    Is she going to buy an RT instead?
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for input everyone. Bought White RTS SE6 tonight

I have officially joined the ranks on 3 wheels. Almost cried when I left my two wheels behind but I know I will feel much safer and comfortable on 3 wheels. Already shopping for all the addons.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

good choice

and that little cutie pie is glad you did the rt

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Default F3 on Angeles Crest

You will be happy with the RT. I purchased a F3 last year. And although all we have added was a Blueridge and saddlebags. We are starting to use it a lot more and may upgrade at some point. The riding postion took a little time to get use too. But I must say The Spyder makes it so much easier to ride long distances.Angeles Crest and Mulholand are more
    fun on the Spyder then I thought they would be. Enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Default Just wondering

Just a question for the more experienced riders. How does the ST compare ? Sportier look but how about comfort? Down side would be giving up the 1330. (If only BRP would listen )
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your new RT-S is a real Beauty!!

Here's to lots of "Miles & Smiles" for you both!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

That white RT is indeed a beauty. I think you made a good choice.

Now you get to enjoy riding AND farkleing.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=wings2fly;1109858]I have officially joined the ranks on 3 wheels. Almost cried when I left my two wheels behind but I know I will feel much safer and comfortable on 3 wheels. Already shopping for all the addons.

CONGRATS, wings2fly!! I don't think you'll regret for a minute choosing the RT. And her color matches your little doggie!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ok Rob now I'm in trouble already finding lots of goodies

Stop with all the links you post your making me buy things.
    Do you know of a mount that has a GPS and phone with GPS? My GPS is a 590 LM so 5 inches wide

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    That white RT is indeed a beauty. I think you made a good choice.

Now you get to enjoy riding AND farkleing.