Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bumpshid

Spyder Garage

I have the Stealth unlighted Bumpskid. (I don't want my wife to find me) I would have purchased the lighted one if it were available when I bought mine.

On the other hand the less extra electrical pieces you splice into your electrical system the less problems you will have. I do like all the extra lighting

people put on but seldom ever ride at night and don't need any more electrical problems than necessary. Seems like those who have gone overboard

with the lighting have the most problems. Not saying having a lighted bumpskid is going overboard.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Would not be without

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    How many have installed bumpskid and what is your thoughts at to it need/utility? Lighted or plain?
    with led
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Stealth for me.....no lights.....A must have item for protection.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Cool Good Mods BUT

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I'm not saying that a bump skid is not a good idea, but I will likely be the only "dissenting vote" here. Everybody that has one seems to like it. What I did, for about the same money or perhaps a little less, was install BajaRon's shock adjusters to lift my front end and give me a better ride; and a set of TricLED's high density daytime running lights for the forward visibility. I really like them both.
    Those are are really good mods, but the primary reason to purchase a Bumpskid is bike front end protection. Let's just hope good size raccoon or other critter doesn't run in front of you because the nose of your Spyder will be toast. I've seen it happen with and without a Bumpskid and it's not pretty. Everything below the frunk lid collapses if you don't have the Bumpskid. The lights are cool, and the Bumpskid looks good but the real reason is for protection of your investment.

Spyder Garage

Cool No It Doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Forgetting the lights for a minute, does the stock plate not protect the vital components the same? I know the bumpskid protects a larger area but I would have though the factory plate would protect the engine or critical components of the road hazards as mentioned? Even if its thinner would it not still hold up and protect?
    its not just thin, it's also very weak. When I removed my stock plate on my ST, there was a hole in it the size of a softball and I know for a fact, it had never had more than a slight nose rub coming out of my driveway. BTW, the 2015 F3 has NO stock belly plate leaving the bottom of the bucket completely exposed if you don't install a Bumpskid.

Spyder Garage

Lighted -- It gets quite a few comments, which means that people are seeing it.

And that's a very, very good thing.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Default I'made with you...

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I have the Stealth unlighted Bumpskid. (I don't want my wife to find me) I would have purchased the lighted one if it were available when I bought mine.

On the other hand the less extra electrical pieces you splice into your electrical system the less problems you will have. I do like all the extra lighting

people put on but seldom ever ride at night and don't need any more electrical problems than necessary. Seems like those who have gone overboard

with the lighting have the most problems. Not saying having a lighted bumpskid is going overboard.

Jack

what helped me also was the shock relocations and the podium Fox shocks. Lifted the front end but still have scrape marks on the bumpskid as well..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    No. When I got my GS OEM bumpskid replaced, some bits were missing. SpyderPops bumpskid is thicker, more robust and covers more areas fore and aft. My F3 had one installed before it got home.

Poor GS's first bumpskid...

Excellent post with pic so all can see what happens to the bottom of a skid plate when you do not fix the front suspension. You might think a thicker plate (without fixing the suspension) is going to be better... maybe, but for sure it will bottom out more often because it is thicker, so it will have as many scratches (just deeper).

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    Excellent post with pic so all can see what happens to the bottom of a skid plate when you do not fix the front suspension. You might think a thicker plate (without fixing the suspension) is going to be better... maybe, but for sure it will bottom out more often because it is thicker, so it will have as many scratches (just deeper).

Jerry
    What can be done to fix the front suspension? I have a 2014 STL - I believe that comes with Fox shocks. Can they be adjusted?

I could really use the extra height as well. I have a bumpskid and do scrape periodically, especially on gravel / dirt roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post

Jerry
    The purpose of the bumpskid is not to prevent scrapes, but to minimize the damage they cause to the rest of the machine. Think of it as a "re-entry shield" on a space capsule, designed to burn away in order to protect the capsule - or, in this case, designed to absorb the scrapes and protect your Spyder.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I have the stealth version too... Just felt like I needed the protection but haven't ridden with it yet.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iGot2Fly View Post
    What can be done to fix the front suspension? I have a 2014 STL - I believe that comes with Fox shocks. Can they be adjusted?
    If they have some preload adjustment available for the preload; try stiffening things up a bit...
    Take some measurements first... add some preload, and then measure it again.
    I added BajaRon's adjustable preload pieces to my RT's OEM shocks. Two turns, and I gained .25"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If they have some preload adjustment available for the preload; try stiffening things up a bit... [emoji106]
    Take some measurements first... add some preload, and then measure it again.
    I added BajaRon's adjustable preload pieces to my RT's OEM shocks. Two turns, and I gained .25"
    I see - I will look into that. That would help out a lot -even an extra .25" would definitely go a long way.

Spyder Garage

I went with the lighted version from Spyderprops - looks great!

Spyder Garage

I had one on my 2011 RT and loved it. I now have a 2015 and based on the recommendation of my Spyder mechanic, I am forgoing it on this bike. He has told me that the 14/15/16 are quite a bit lower than the earlier models and the bump skid will make it low enough that it will bottom out on the smallest speed bump etc.. It is better to scrape the bottom plastic a bit and maybe get a scratch than having the undercarriage take a big hit from a speed bump at speed!

Just me thinking and its just my opinion.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

I have the unlighted version. I can't tell you how many times I've scraped my driveway. My driveway and the curb cutout must not be at a very good angle. A scrape is not as bad as hitting a gater on the highway but it is a frequent reminder that the protection is there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I had one on my 2011 RT and loved it. I now have a 2015 and based on the recommendation of my Spyder mechanic, I am forgoing it on this bike. He has told me that the 14/15/16 are quite a bit lower than the earlier models and the bump skid will make it low enough that it will bottom out on the smallest speed bump etc.. It is better to scrape the bottom plastic a bit and maybe get a scratch than having the undercarriage take a big hit from a speed bump at speed!

That's a very good point. I have been on the fence about it myself. Can anyone verify what 'quite a bit lower' really is? Can someone with a stock '13 or prior with no skid measure the distance from ground to bottom of stock plate? Then we can compare and see how much of a difference there is. And... How thick is the bumpskid compare to stock plate on the '14 -16? I'd also hate to go any lower but you can also conclude that with front end lower it may even need more protection? And are the stock plates on '14-16 and different/thicker than the '13 and prior?
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post

From my experience, my 12 was lower in the front than my 15 is. and scraping and cracking the front end is what the Bumpskid prevents.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Bump Skid

I like the looks of the lighted version but cringe at the thought of having to replace it cost wise as compared to the unlighted model. Decisions, decisions!! I imagine insurance would cover it though. hmmmmmm

Spyder Garage

Default bumpshid

I have the unlighted one on mine because it was installed before they had the lighted one.
    If I could install the light kit on mine and make it look right i sure would
    Ken

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by juscuz View Post
    I like the looks of the lighted version but cringe at the thought of having to replace it cost wise as compared to the unlighted model. Decisions, decisions!! I imagine insurance would cover it though. hmmmmmm
    If you were to have coverage for accessories on your bike policy: yes, it would!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have the unlighted one because I already had LED on the front when I bought it. But, am happy it worked out this way, because the skidplate now protects my LED's instead of sticking them out in front. I live on a gravel road, and am thankful for the skidplate.

David

Attached Images Attached Images

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have non lighted and just removed mine for work that I am doing on the Spyder. When the Skid plate goes back on I will be using a weather strip between the lower body and the skid plate.

As for lights go buy a roll of LED lights and put them on the front end if you like..It would save you some cash.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Now you all are frightening me; have bottomed a few times on rough roads, but so far have managed to avoid road debris. With pulling a trailer this is going to get much more difficult to do. Will have to seriously consider this update.

Al in Kalamazoo
    If you will be pulling the CanAm trailer you should get the bumpskid for it also. It is so easy to scrape the rear of the trailer while moving it around by hand.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Here in Montana we have pot holes that you can see China at the bottom. And then Road Construction during the Summer. So i have the Bumpskid to save my under side!!!! Didn't get the lights, as i didn't want to see China...
    2014 RT-S
    YELLOW
    BajaRon Anti Sway bar
    Adjustable handle bars
    SpyderPops Skid plate