Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bumpshid

Spyder Garage

Default Bumpshid

How many have installed bumpskid and what is your thoughts at to it need/utility? Lighted or plain?
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Lighted Bumpskid here. I like it a lot and have received many compliments. It makes the front end show up great. Worth the price.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lighted!!
    It provides much-needed protection to the front end of the Spyder.
    The lights make me MUCH more visible also!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    How many have installed bumpskid and what is your thoughts at to it need/utility? Lighted or plain?
    I have had a bumpskid on all 4 of my Spyders and both my trailers, really worked well for me to protect the front end of my Spyders and the back end of my trailers. the extra lights are great for safety because they help you to be seen better especially on the trailer because they more than double your rear lights.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a plain bumpskid on my '14 RTL. First thing I added after I got it home from the dealer. I ride a lot of two lane asphalt back roads and my bumpskid shows it. Great investment, worth every penny.

Spyder Garage

I'm not saying that a bump skid is not a good idea, but I will likely be the only "dissenting vote" here. Everybody that has one seems to like it. What I did, for about the same money or perhaps a little less, was install BajaRon's shock adjusters to lift my front end and give me a better ride; and a set of TricLED's high density daytime running lights for the forward visibility. I really like them both.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-28-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Bumpskid

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I'm not saying that a bump skid is not a good idea, but I will likely be the only "dissenting vote" here. Everybody that has one seems to like it. What I did, for about the same money or perhaps a little less, was install BajaRon's shock adjusters to lift my front end and give me a better ride; and a set of TricLED's high density daytime running lights for the forward visibility. I really like them both.
    Thx for the dissenting voice. It is something to consider. I think bumpskid is a must but had not considered high intensity daytime running lights.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I have the unlit version - and that is only because there wasn't a lit version when I got it in Jan of 2014. In the last 21,650 miles, I've bottomed out on really rough country roads enough times to be darn glad I have it.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I have the unlit version - and that is only because there wasn't a lit version when I got it in Jan of 2014. In the last 21,650 miles, I've bottomed out on really rough country roads enough times to be darn glad I have it.
    X2
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have the unlit version, because there wasn't a lit version available back then, But I do have LED strip lights on the fenders (standard RT fenders) so not sure I would have gone the extra $ anyway.

Have some really tall bumper stops here so its come in handy and many driveways are very steep so its easy to bottom out on the transition. Finally I also trailer quite a bit and the bumpskid helps if I scrape the trailer gate.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Default Bumpskid

Lighted or not is personal choice. The protection it offers is worth every penny! Spyderann hit a car starter in the road. The car in front of her straddled it, and there it was. The gouge it put in her Bumpskid would have easily split her engine case. As it was, it spun and punctured her back tire! The edges of the starter were sharp. That Bumpskid saved her bike! The stock belly pans are thin and offer no protection. She will never ride without her Bumpskid. We even have one on her 622 trailer. Spyderpops bumpskids rock! JMHO, Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bumpskid

x3
    2012 RT Limited Pearl White
    Baja Ron anti sway bar, BRP trailer hitch, BRP Comfort seat and Back rest,
    SpyderPops Bumpskid, Vertika Floorboards, High mount Stop/Run and Turn signals,
    SM10 Dongle and SMH10 headset, ISO Handgrips
    More to come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Lighted or not is personal choice. The protection it offers is worth every penny! Spyderann hit a car starter in the road. The car in front of her straddled it, and there it was....
    Well, that certainly makes a case for having one. I didn't think about hitting anything that big lying on the road. Glad she had the skid.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyderpop's bump skid w/led all the way, i am very happy with mine. functional & looks great

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up With light

Installed mine a few weeks ago. Lights are very bright, even in daytime! Great safety item. Also a week after installing it, I ran over a 4×6 , skid plate slide right over it, when it came out, behind left wheel, cracked the black trim on lest side of bike. I couldn't imagine what damage it would of caused if I didn't have it? Now I need to figure out how to repair the black cracked panel. My brother tells me the lights are brighter than the headlights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I ordered a pair of the shock adjusters this morning.

SpyderLovers Sponsor spidergreg's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just another level of security

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Spyderpop's bump skid w/led all the way, i am very happy with mine. functional & looks great
    It's nice when form and function come together!

Greg and Debbie 2012 RTS
    Our Mods

Spyder Garage

Forgetting the lights for a minute, does the stock plate not protect the vital components the same? I know the bumpskid protects a larger area but I would have thought the factory plate would protect the engine or critical components of the road hazards as mentioned? Even if its thinner would it not still hold up and protect?
    Last edited by SpyderSteveFL; 03-28-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Same here

Same as above. Very glad I have it.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of a gouge in the bottom of my bumpskid from hitting a car starter that was in my lane. The starter took a chunk out of the frame before taking out the sidewall of my rear tire. Without the bumpskid I'd have had some major damage. That gouge was about 1/4" deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Bump skip

It's an insurance policy...if you don't have it, you might wish you had...

Spyder Garage

Before getting a bumpskid, make sure you have your front suspension sorted out to resolve the weak oem springs on the front suspension. Depending on what you weigh/or you ride 2 up, you can easily overwhelm the front suspension and easily bottom out. When you bottom out, the underside of the front gets dangerously close to the ground and depending on the road surface, your front end can scrape on the ground. If you mount a bumpskid without addressing the weak front suspension [springs], you are adding additional thickness on the underside and scrape much easier now.

They look great on the bike and the led version adds extra safety. They also give some extra frontal impact protection... but they don't do anything to protect the bottom if you have not addressed the front suspension problems.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Default Bumpskid

Now you all are frightening me; have bottomed a few times on rough roads, but so far have managed to avoid road debris. With pulling a trailer this is going to get much more difficult to do. Will have to seriously consider this update.

Al in Kalamazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Forgetting the lights for a minute, does the stock plate not protect the vital components the same? I know the bumpskid protects a larger area but I would have though the factory plate would protect the engine or critical components of the road hazards as mentioned? Even if its thinner would it not still hold up and protect?
    No. When I got my GS OEM bumpskid replaced, some bits were missing. SpyderPops bumpskid is thicker, more robust and covers more areas fore and aft. My F3 had one installed before it got home.

Poor GS's first bumpskid...

Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

The Ppyderpops bump skid was my second farkle after the KOTTS Grilles on my Spyder. As others have said it's inexpensive insurance. In my case the angle of the road to my driveway, which I have to take at an angle both coming and going, dictated the bump skid and parking lot speed bumps have put a few marks on it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S