Spyder Garage

Default Metal Piece on Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Help Please...I found small non aluminum piece of metal on the oil drain plug on my 2013 RT S during second oil change at 3400 miles. The piece of metal looks like a small wire approx. 3/8 inch long. The piece is somewhat flat with a very small ridge running the complete length. My bike runs great with no problems and it is under extended warranty. Please advise! Thanks!!!

Update...sent pictures to dealership and they forwarded to BRP...response from BRP was that they are not concerned about possible damage and to continue to ride and perform routine maintenance. In addition, BRP will annotate my VIN record in the event of any future problem. I'm very satisfied with the customer service by both the dealership (Morris Motorsports of Lawton, OK) and BRP!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pedlar1; 04-03-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pedlar1 View Post
    Help Please...I found small non aluminum piece of metal on the oil drain plug on my 1013 RT S during second oil change at 3400 miles. The piece of metal looks like a small wire approx. 3/8 inch long. The piece is somewhat flat with a very small ridge running the complete length. My bike runs great with no problems and it is under extended warranty. Please advise! Thanks!!!

Can you post a photo of it? might help to identify it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

send a photo to your dealer and asked them to send it to BRP to identify metal piece.
    My 2010 spyder had metal chunks found in all oil filters pictures of pieces were sent to BRP for identification. Found to be SE transmission clutch pack c clip broke off causing clutch pack to fall apart.
    Glad that I bought extended warranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a little set screw and it has been found in many 998 during oil changes. We found one just last week.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is more info
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks...but it really doesn't look like a set screw...it's about 0.041 in dia. It really looks more like a wire of some sort.
    Last edited by Pedlar1; 03-27-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

From the picture. It looks like a small roller out of a bearing but I could be wrong. Best bet show to dealer have them send to brp.

Spyder Garage

So a friend of mine had that too on his 2014 RSS... Dealer and BRP told him it is from the clutch pack and can happen early on and not to worry about it.

He has 20K on it now and no issues.

But with that said check with the dealer.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    So a friend of mine had that too on his 2014 RSS... Dealer and BRP told him it is from the clutch pack and can happen early on and not to worry about it.

He has 20K on it now and no issues.

But with that said check with the dealer.

Bob

Thanks, Bob...that's reassuring...and I will contact dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

I have seen these in many a bike in my time working on them. Double check with dealer and or brp but if that is it change the oil and keep an eye open for the next change. Many times it is leading edge of a gear but not a problem. Some times a rough edgde sometimes assembly debris. I use the dimple drain plugs with the super magnets to keep that stuff out of the filtering and pump system. This is what I have found along the way...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pedlar1 View Post
    Thanks...but it really doesn't look like a set screw...it's about 0.041 in dia. It really looks more like a wire of some sort.
    Sorry, I was looking at it on my phone and couldn't see the detail.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Sorry, I was looking at it on my phone and couldn't see the detail.
    SpyderAnn:

It may or may not have been a perfect answer, but it was still good information about the setscrew.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Just to add. Shawn Smoak said they are pieces left over from assembling the clutch pack.
    They get left behind sometimes. He has seen them many times before.

Not to worry.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beast68 View Post
    From the picture. It looks like a small roller out of a bearing but I could be wrong. Best bet show to dealer have them send to brp.
    That's what it looks like to me too. This type of bearing is commonly used in motorcycle engines.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

If he were to take a angle shot of it, you will see it is not a roller from a bearing.
    It will have a flat'ish side to it which you cannot see in this picture.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DRAIN PLUGS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have seen these in many a bike in my time working on them. Double check with dealer and or brp but if that is it change the oil and keep an eye open for the next change. Many times it is leading edge of a gear but not a problem. Some times a rough edgde sometimes assembly debris. I use the dimple drain plugs with the super magnets to keep that stuff out of the filtering and pump system. This is what I have found along the way...
    On my first oil change, I ordered replacement plugs with much larger magnets. Also, the new plugs take a socket rather than the oe plugs that use an ellen wrench that could strip the hole. No doubt the much larger and stronger magnets will do a greater job of trapping the metals scraps.