Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust Fumes

Spyder Garage

On my HF Tag-Along trailer I lengthened the tongue quite a bit, mainly to reduce the tongue weight when carrying a small generator in the usual ice chest location. As for handling, I could not tell any difference going down the road. Backing up is another matter as the short stock tongue length makes the trailer jackknife very quickly and the long tongue makes it difficult to turn very sharp.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    I will need to do something to stop the air flow from coming from behind. I took a piece of 1/4" cardboard today and cut it like a flap over the trunk. Taped it down and took off. At 60mph it was standing straight up. Another forum they have beem extending the tongues with great results. I'm heading to the steel yard Monday to get a 6' 2"x1/8"thick tube and work from there.
    Thnx for the input.
    JMHO.
    I understand the air is coming from behind, but that is because of the airflow over the windshield creating a air pocket for the rider. The trailer then makes this air pocket even bigger and allowed the exhaust to be pulled into the void formed by the air flow over the windshield.

When you test road it with your cardboard did you lower the windshield setting and see if how it affected the cardboard? If not it might be worth a retest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    JMHO.
    I understand the air is coming from behind, but that is because of the airflow over the windshield creating a air pocket for the rider. The trailer then makes this air pocket even bigger and allowed the exhaust to be pulled into the void formed by the air flow over the windshield.

When you test road it with your cardboard did you lower the windshield setting and see if how it affected the cardboard? If not it might be worth a retest.
    Yes I moved the screen up slowly as I traveled. I can fix this with Exhaust mod, but since the bike is her's I have restraints...
    I have a real nice setup for a shovelhead that would look and sound great, and get that exhaust all the way out the air void...
    So should I just do it and wait till she fires it up

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Yes I moved the screen up slowly as I traveled. I can fix this with Exhaust mod, but since the bike is her's I have restraints...
    I have a real nice setup for a shovelhead that would look and sound great, and get that exhaust all the way out the air void...
    So should I just do it and wait till she fires it up
    If you do you must video it and then post it!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Added the new 5' tongue today,{2x2x1/8} and was able to turn the ice chest length ways and still have 2'6" clear to the rear of the bike. I'll finish the wiring up in the morning and take it out for a spin. The real test Friday. Taking a trip 4.5 hrs away for the weekend.

As for the exhaust, I realized the 2011 and 2015 use different designs and locations. Will need to find a stock takeoff and see about cutting the nipple flange off so I can weld it on my setup. I will go ahead and suffer the big end of the rolling pin, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Working like it was engineered 5' is my magic number. pulled like a dream even above posted hwy speeds. Slight tug on rough roads . No no exhaust even when drafting an 18 wheeler.. I'm pleased.