Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Interesting thing in the OP is that he just has a permit, no license yet and has only been riding for two years.

It might not be a case of preferring years of 2 wheel experience as he doesn't appear to have that. It may just be that he doesn't have enough experience at all yet.

In NJ if he still just has a permit you're not legally permitted to ride as a passenger. Not sure about PA or NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenfz09 View Post
    It's an RT, we did some work to it so it's pushing about 425 HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did you bump the Grand National up to GNX specs?
    We've got a guy in the next Town over; he's got one with less than 2,500 miles on it!
    V-6 in the Camaro? Or did you get the BIG engine??
    The 87 "Porch"; a 911 I hope!
    I'm a big "Car-A-holic"... I watch all of the Barrett-Jackson and Mecum auctions that I can!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Jen, one thing to be aware of, keep in mind, and tell hubby. There is no keeping secret your shifting habits. The time the engine spends in the various RPM ranges is recorded by Nanny and she tattles to the technician when he hooks up BUDS. One of the bits of info that is shown is a histogram of the time the engine is run in the ranges of 0-2000, 2000-4000, 4000-6000, 6000-8000, and over 8000. If the graph shows a lot of time in the 2000-4000 rpm range, and not much above that, you, or hubby, very likely will get an chewing! So, don't shift until you are above 3600 - 4000 rpm. Below 2000 rpm will most certainly be just idling time. But here again, if the 0-2000 graph is high be ready to be chewed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

My thoughts exactly! Never demo'd or ridden. 500 feet to the freeway and 90 miles home with the wife following. Not sure which lane I would be in next. I hated it. Was I going to admit I made a mistake to the wife? No way. I toughed it out. Joe and Ann got me "Squared Away" with L/A and Baja Ron Sway Bar and the rest is history.

Jack

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting Used to 3 Wheels?

I rode for several hours just around the streets in my neighborhood. (All in 1st gear.) The thing that was hardest for me to get used to was not putting a foot down at stops. Of course, I only rode 2 wheelers for 23 years.......
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Cool

1) how long did it take you to adjust if you came from a cruiser?
    2) will him running the Spyder (2012 RT-S) at lower rpms like 3k damage it?

The more you ride the shorter the adjustment period...varies with the consumer...
    Always keep rpm above 3,000 under load...never lug it in any gear...

Spyder Garage

Most of you guys are really nice. If my wife bought me a new bike and I was being such an ass I'm sure I would be looking for a new sleeping partner. And she would have been right !!
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dlby View Post
    Took me 2000 miles
    Thought I made a weird decision

Very difficult for me after 45 years two wheels

But knew in my gut it was right

many many more miles later I will never go back

Loving it[emoji443]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    That's a long time!

The Spyder is so much easier in so many respects. I took it out all day today, came home, and told my husband how much better it was than two wheels in so many ways. I do love my bikes though.
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)

Spyder Garage

It's been a bit over 5k and I still am questioning my decission. My back is the reason for the change and not having to hold up the wing is a bonus but I still think the spyder handles like a pig compared to my wing with good suspension. I know I'll get flamed and yes it's been properly laser aligned and got the Bajaron sway bar. I do question if the power steering is working properly cause it takes quite a bit of effort to make it hustle through the twistys. I'm going to give it this season and then decide to keep it or not.

Spyder Garage

I rode 2 wheels for 50 years before switching to Spyder.

Learning curve . . . ZERO

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfz09 View Post
    How long did it take you to adjust to the Spyder?

Background- I bought this so my husband and I could take trips together, especially longer trips. I started riding before he did, so he's pretty new to motorcycles (2 seasons). He rides a cruiser. He went on the Spyder, did not like it, was crossing over double yellow lines and was having issues maneuvering it. He has a MC permit.

I have a MC license so I rode it the 200 miles from NY to PA. I love it. I've had no learning curve, but I read everything I could on here and the manual. He's not into reading things or listening to advice. I have put 300 miles in two days on the Spyder.

So, I figured I would go on the back and give him some advice on shift points, etc. I assure you he hated this. He was shifting all over the place. I felt like my life was in danger every time a car came.

I don't know if I feel comfortable riding on the back with him, which defeats the purpose of owning the Spyder, but I do love it. He doesn't want to ride it anymore and said "have fun with your bike." I paid cash for this bike and it was a lot, so it's disappointing, but it is what it is.

1) how long did it take you to adjust if you came from a cruiser?
    2) will him running the Spyder (2012 RT-S) at lower rpms like 3k damage it?

Thanks.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    It's been a bit over 5k and I still am questioning my decission. My back is the reason for the change and not having to hold up the wing is a bonus but I still think the spyder handles like a pig compared to my wing with good suspension. I know I'll get flamed and yes it's been properly laser aligned and got the Bajaron sway bar. I do question if the power steering is working properly cause it takes quite a bit of effort to make it hustle through the twistys. I'm going to give it this season and then decide to keep it or not.
    Your expections are in error. The Spyder does not handle anything like a 2 wheeler. Think & expect in terms of an ATV or Go Kart.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    A Spyder in the twisties is never going to be as fun (IMO) as a two wheeler, on account it does not lean. It'll be a workout to hustle the Spyder's bulk around a corner. We think of our Spyder (and ours is the sporty one), as a cruising and touring machine, preferring our sportbikes for when the corners get tight and fast. Adjust your expectations and you'll learn to love the Spyder.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

If u don't like it then you don't like it

I don't like broccoli

If you don't like it then don't eat it

But you don't have to knock it
    Really do ya?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk