Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruising on two wheels and now three, adjustment period?

How long did it take you to adjust to the Spyder?

Background- I bought this so my husband and I could take trips together, especially longer trips. I started riding before he did, so he's pretty new to motorcycles (2 seasons). He rides a cruiser. He went on the Spyder, did not like it, was crossing over double yellow lines and was having issues maneuvering it. He has a MC permit.

I have a MC license so I rode it the 200 miles from NY to PA. I love it. I've had no learning curve, but I read everything I could on here and the manual. He's not into reading things or listening to advice. I have put 300 miles in two days on the Spyder.

So, I figured I would go on the back and give him some advice on shift points, etc. I assure you he hated this. He was shifting all over the place. I felt like my life was in danger every time a car came.

I don't know if I feel comfortable riding on the back with him, which defeats the purpose of owning the Spyder, but I do love it. He doesn't want to ride it anymore and said "have fun with your bike." I paid cash for this bike and it was a lot, so it's disappointing, but it is what it is.

1) how long did it take you to adjust if you came from a cruiser?
    2) will him running the Spyder (2012 RT-S) at lower rpms like 3k damage it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jenfz09; 03-25-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

It took me about 15 mins to get used to the RT. Biggest thing I missed from a 2 wheeler was the front brake. Maybe you should put him on the back.

Spyder Garage

Default Right

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    It took me about 15 mins to get used to the RT. Biggest thing I missed from a 2 wheeler was the front brake. Maybe you should put him on the back.
    From the description of her post, I seriously doubt he is going to be down with riding 1 up.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

go to the Forum, under Spyder General Discussion read the Do's & Do Not's” for New Spyder Owners:
    Good Luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode out of the dealership on my 2010 RT without ever having even SAT on one of these things...
    For the first two miles: I was SURE that I had just made a $25,000 mistake...
    It was twitchy, and I was fighting to keep it where I wanted it to be in the lane.
    Finally; I realized that the folks who make Ski Doo snowmobiles should be more than capable to building something that could go straight down the highway...
    I relaxed my grip on the bars: "the clouds parted, and the sun shined down on me!"
    After that: it was maybe about another 500 miles or so (to get the cornering stuff into my head!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    His testosterone won't permit stuff like that.

Last night, we went for ice cream, up a quiet country road. I asked him to let me ride for part of the way so he could see how I was shifting. He finally agreed but had offered to walk home first (if his bike broke down, he would walk instead of getting on the back of mine since I'm female). I told him when I was shifting, at what speeds and rpms, what I was doing with the throttle, etc.

I assure you that's the first and last time that will ever happen. I tried.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    go to the Forum, under Spyder General Discussion read the Do's & Do Not's” for New Spyder Owners:
    Good Luck
    Trust me, I read the whole thing twice. He won't read anything. I tried to distill it down as succinctly as I could.

He can take it out by himself, I won't go on the back again at the moment. Will running it out of its powerband hurt it, like lower than the 4200 recommendations?

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After years of two-wheeling, I bought my Spyder RT ... and HATED it. As Bob said - twitchy, jerky, hard to use controls.

So, I took a long ride on two lane twisties, forcing myself to take it easy on curves until I got used to it. After 300 miles I was sold and wouldn't go back to two wheels. This bike is nimble and corners like a demon.

The only advice I can provide your husband is to stick to it.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I'll let him know that.

Spyder Garage

First, is your Spyder an SM or an SE? The SM (manual) will let you know if you are in too low an rpm range. The SE will just eat its clutch. The SE clutch on the 998 locks up between 3200 and 3600 rpm, I generally shift at 5500 or above so I don't have to worry about that.
    The learning curve for me was around 500 miles, mostly because I'd been on 2 wheels for over 50 years. suggestion, find a parking lot, set up markers of some kind for a course, and have time trials between the two of you. Hopefully your husband will rise to the challenge.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have access to ATVs, here's an idea . . . He should completely stop riding on two wheels. Go out on an ATV as often as possible. (Some places rent them out, or do ATV tours.) My idea is to get him used to steering. I think the crossing of the double yellow lines is because he tries to counter-steer.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides: time spent slinging mud in the air is ALWAYS fun!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sound to me like this has nothing to do with your husbands ability to ride the Spyder and everything to do with his perception of a Spyder rider.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think that she's going to end up trading him in over this deal...

Spyder Garage

Attitude is everything. He has to want to succeed at it before he will succeed. If he has already decided it isn't for him (and he is as stubborn as most of us guys), it may be a long road. I wish you the best, but it probably isn't the technical stuff he will be difficult about as much as his self image and the desire to master it. That's harder to overcome. Maybe you could approach it by offering incentives like, "let's take the bike and go to ______ for the weekend".

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default To Each their Own

Eight years ago, my wife suggested we get back into biking by suggesting we buy a 750 cruiser. Shortly thereafter she needed her own, and 6 bikes later, (4 for her and two for me) we are now both on Spyder RT's. We've enjoyed many weekend trips together, some 2-up and mostly one up on our own bikes. My wife put over 70,000 miles on her 11 RT SM5 and now has a 15 SE6. I sold the Road King and took over her 11 SM5 last year when she got the new one. I guess age and a couple of weekends when my bike had "issues" were both factors in my switching to the Spyder life. I personally enjoy getting to Gawk and enjoy the scenery when I am the passenger on the RT.

My wife still prefers to pilot her own, and whether we're 1-up or 2-up, the great times and road trips we've enjoyed greatly exceed any friction over who's driving. I get to stoke my ego by doing the maintenance, and she gets to Farkle and make the travel arrangements. Works for us...
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't think that she's going to end up trading him in over this deal...
    Nah, thirteen years and holding!

The Spyder is an SE. We don't have ATV access, though that would be fun! We will both continue to ride on two wheels.

We are going to the Dodge dealer to have them look at the check engine light on our Challenger. I'm riding the Spyder there, my husband will ride it to the can am dealer and back to get the Spyder inspected. Wish me luck. I went over the shift points again with him.
    Last edited by Jenfz09; 03-25-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What engine does your Challenger have in it? (You have some REALLY fun toys! )
    Good luck with all of the errands for today; let us know how he does!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

As a rule of thumb, the concenses is that it will take 300 to 500 miles to get comfortable with the spyder. Many have no problem but if you attack anything with a negative attitude this will not work. He does not seem to want to give up the cruiser and if it is of the Harley type it is difficult for them to get used to the high RPM engine in the 998 spyder. We have had those that never did complained bitterly and sold them to return to the thumper. You will damage the clutch system on the semi automatic models because the system needs 3500 rpm's to fully engauge. You could just ryde it yourself and let him follow you around....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The wife and I both ride two wheelers but got the Spyder for doing long distance touring 2 up. It did take a little bit to get used to it, but I ride a Venture so was used to shifting at higher RPMs. There was a guy trading in a Spyder on the day I was buying ours. He complained greatly about how the bike would not shift properly - he had been a Harley rider and couldn't be convinced that you need to shift at higher RPMs on the bike.

I guess I look at it like the difference between driving a truck with heavy load and a race car. Shift points will be different and if you insist on trying to drive one like the other you will be very frustrated.

As far as the issue of a man riding behind a woman, I have ridden behind my wife and still have my man card. Have gotten some weird looks, and more than a few thumbs up. For touring it was important to us that we have a bike that both of us could control with the other riding pillion. It would be tragic if something were to happen to one of us on a ride and the other not be able to take over the driving duties.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Jen, I think you already know the problem here is Testosterone. I wish you a lot of luck you are going to need the patience of Jobe.........When I went to test my first Spyder in 09, the manager gave me GREAT advice ( I was on my Gold Wing )....He said forget everything about driving this like a Motorcycle you will go into a ditch......Drive it just like a car with power brakes ....gentle gentle gentle...........As someone already said, driving it at LOW revs is going to effect the Clutch life.......but that will take awhile.......Hopefully He will get that part of it........All the best to you and yours ........Mike

Spyder Garage

This may not be a viable option but maybe he'd be better off with a different model Spyder, something with the 1330 engine that works OK at lower Rev's. Or one with a manual trans. Just tossing this out for thought.

Spyder Garage

Interesting thing in the OP is that he just has a permit, no license yet and has only been riding for two years.

It might not be a case of preferring years of 2 wheel experience as he doesn't appear to have that. It may just be that he doesn't have enough experience at all yet.

In NJ if he still just has a permit you're not legally permitted to ride as a passenger. Not sure about PA or NY.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Over steering

Sounds like he is still timid and gripping too hard which results in over steering. Then maybe he has just decided to not like the Spyder. I know I don't but wife likes back seat on Spyder so I am stuck.