Spyder Garage

Default Is it normal for the Belt to travel across the rear sprocket?

Is it normal for the drive belt to move across the rear sprocket. I had my rear tire changed and the belt looked fine about a credit card width from the inside edge of the sprocket. Later after turning into my driveway the belt had moved more to the left about mid sprocket. After riding straight the belt moved back to the proper position.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buggy; 03-18-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The spec is 1 to 5 mm from the rear sprocket flange. That is only after going straight forward for a short distance. Ignore belt position after going in reverse or after a turn.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Getting the belt right is somewhat tricky and though it runs correctly forwards, you will find that when you run it backwards it walks to the outside.... Getting it to stay in both directions is the thing. When you torque the axle, it can shift as well......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2024 at 07:30 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

When I did my own rear wheel removal and replacement, I had the belt adj. about a credit cards width from the flange, then rode the machine and it took a set (stretched), and now it has about 3 mm gap from the flange, but seems to be holding. Sometimes when I pull forward, the gap stays the same, but when I back-up it will have a little less of a gap, according to my calibrated eyeballs anyway......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2024 at 07:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Recently changed the rear tire & set the tension on the belt; I have a belt tensioner installed. Does the belt move around as noticed at the sprocket?
    When I am moving forward then stop, get off bike, & look at the belt to sprocket lip gap, the belt is 1/4 inch or so from the sprocket lip. When I back up, stop, get off the bike, and view the belt to sprocket lip gap, it is tight to the sprocket lip. Is this normal?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2024 at 07:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by badkins View Post
    Recently changed the rear tire & set the tension on the belt; I have a belt tensioner installed. Does the belt move around as noticed at the sprocket?
    When I am moving forward then stop, get off bike, & look at the belt to sprocket lip gap, the belt is 1/4 inch or so from the sprocket lip. When I back up, stop, get off the bike, and view the belt to sprocket lip gap, it is tight to the sprocket lip. Is this normal?
    1/4" is a bit too much. Spec is 1-5mm, which is about 3/16"; as long a belt is not OFF the left side of pulley it will be OK. You could bring it in closer by adjusting the RIGHT side tensioner. Backing up is NOT the way to check it, only moving forward and check it, so you're doing that correctly. It does wander some on backing up.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2024 at 09:39 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is a video on U-Tube done by an owner that shows the Drive belt while driving ..... it moves across the Sprocket ( ie. back & forth ) continuously..... I no longer care about this occurrence ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-05-2024 at 09:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

I made a recording on the belt movement for an earlier thread of mine as I had the same questions.
    People on this great forum assured me all was normal.

Here's a link: https://arnesastrobilder.blogspot.co...t-rt-2012.html
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

I agree with most of the above replies, but I think 1/4 in is a little severe. If your tension is correct, I would adjust it back just a touch to the credit card thickness or two! Just my opinion. There's a reason for that, you're working on two sprockets, and you don't want to have the belt riding up on the edges of ether of the front or back sprocket, then you'll get a squealing noise from your belt, and it will wear the sides of your belt. Good Luck on whatever you decide!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thank you, I appreciate the response.
    The belt is tight to the flange when going forward. I will loosen the adjustment on the passenger side of the axel slightly, I believe that will move the belt off the flange on the sprocket. I will try to get a credit card space between belt and flange.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I agree with most of the above replies, but I think 1/4 in is a little severe. If your tension is correct, I would adjust it back just a touch to the credit card thickness or two! Just my opinion. There's a reason for that, you're working on two sprockets, and you don't want to have the belt riding up on the edges of ether of the front or back sprocket, then you'll get a squealing noise from your belt, and it will wear the sides of your belt. Good Luck on whatever you decide!!
    If I want to move the belt closer to the flange on the rear sprocket is it a clockwise or counter on the adjuster on the right side?
    2016 Spyder RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

Last time my belt was adjusted it was done by the dealer cause I also got a new belt.
    If I am not remebering it all wrong from when I did it myself, you shall turn it clockwise.
    However, it is easier to see and figure out if you have your Spyders rear wheel off the ground. Jack it up so tire is free off the ground. Also good to have two blocks infront of the front wheels incase it should fall off the jack.
    Loosen the 36mm nuts that holds the bolt going through the wheel just enough so that you can adjust the sprockets.
    Use 1/4 turns and see how the belt reacts to you adjusting.
    When happy, tighten the 36mm nuts to the specs and you are good to go.
    Last edited by NorwegianRT; 04-11-2024 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.