Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS: To use one or not to use one ????

Love all the discussions this topic brings up. To use a GPS or not to? Lots of arguments for both. Been riding my whole life and feel like having a GPS gives me more freedom. I am not one that enjoys wandering around lost.. too much stress, plus.....maps??? Still can't read one!!

So these are my REALLY good reason to have a GPS and some points on how to pick the right unit for you.

https://www.leadermotorcycle.com/blo...our-motorcycle

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm all for using whatever technology is available, if it'll keep me from ending up on the wrong Planet!

(Love my Garmin 660! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Whatever works for you...

I say that as I have a GPS about to arrive next week. Until now I have traveled 110k on Spyder without one...you ask Why Now? I say the price was right and for a moment I am willing to consider using!!! But that darned thing get me LOST and I'm back to my maps and note cards!!! GPS for me has always been talking to folks and asking ?'s. Get Person Service!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS

IMHO...............This is what I think is the best thing about the GPS.....even if you don't completely understand it......If you enter the address you are at NOW and you take off to parts unknown just riding around .......It will get you back to where you started by telling it to return to START for that trip or something similar.....................just a thought.......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS yes

I use my GPS a lot. I saves me bunches of time over my (usual) getting lost. It still needs some supervision - on a trip from Boston to Maine, it kept taking me off the freeway on a silly loop. (Maybe an errant breeze changed the route?)

Sometimes wondering lost can be nice, though.....

~Sandee~
    Last edited by sandeejs; 03-11-2016 at 04:10 PM.

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Good tips and reasons. I have a 590 on the bike but sometimes I also use smartphone with Waze. Waze is great and was just recently updated. It's a 'social GPS' so you can enter or get indications of police, disabled vehicles, debris, traffic, etc. You can also send your ETA/route to others so you can track who is where, etc. which can be nice to meet up or know what time you all are arriving at a destination. Can keep phone in pocket or anywhere safe on the bike and just listen via bluetooth to helmet. It's all free, just need a smartphone. And fyi, it's pronounced "ways" Sometimes it's nice to have backups to each other too.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like gps, less stress when riding, more time to enjoy ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides: I'm already used to having women give me directions anyway...
    At least with this one; I can choose whichever accent I like the most!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

I have one but only drag it out in certain situations. They are great and would not travel with out it but now with the phone, waze, google you really can do it all without a dedicated GPS. You should have something though....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

The GPS technology is really good and I have five of them but I still never leave on a trip without paper maps.

Spyder Garage

Default Is there really a dispute about this?

Why wouldn't anyone think it's a good idea to have a GPS? For me, not having one in every vehicle I own is hard to imagine in this day and age - it's just second nature. It's sometimes feels odd to think that GPS has only been available to us since 1983 when President Reagan declassified the technology for public use. When I was a pilot I learned to fly using older forms of navigation, but GPS changed everything. It was far superior, and more accurate, compared to flying by visual reference or older radio beacon forms of navigation; and eventually it opened up instrument approaches to many secondary airports that were previously completely unavailable when flying in weather.

I'm a big fan of Garmin, but have used others as well. I've lost count of how many GPS units I've owned in the last 30 years, or given as gifts - probably well over 30.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-11-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

The answer depends on where you are.

I don't use one, never have--but that is just me.

My state has many uncharted areas. You can take road X and end up going off the face of a cliff if you blindly follow a GPS. It's all about the GPS programming--as in abandoned logging roads, or trails to the little old cabin in the woods.

They are great for the known roads though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I use it all the time, even around the area I live. I just keep the map up and I can glance down and see what roads, intersections towns or anything else I may want to avoid I can then make my way around them. Sometimes like today I got a little turned around and punched in the restaurant I wanted to go to for lunch and quickly realized after the GPS guided me in the right direction that I was really close to my destination.

It also lets me know how fast I am really going.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Problem

I have a 2012 RTL with Zuno 660. My problem with this, and all GPS units I have used is that they always try to route you to interstate highways. Even if you are miles from interstate they will try to get you to turn around or turn left or right. I like to travel the back roads not the interstate. Anyone know how to get around the problem?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker View Post
    I have a 2012 RTL with Zuno 660. My problem with this, and all GPS units I have used is that they always try to route you to interstate highways. Even if you are miles from interstate they will try to get you to turn around or turn left or right. I like to travel the back roads not the interstate. Anyone know how to get around the problem?
    There should be a setting that allows you to deselect freeways or interstates from your route options. Google search your model and instructions... That will get you started. Or do what most men do, throw out the instructions and just hit buttons until you find what you're looking for.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker View Post
    Under Tools > Settings > Navigation there should be some menus. One is called Avoidances. There should be a setting for highways. Not in front of one but you should be able to say avoid highways or prefer local roads. You can also choose shortest vs fastest route.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't mind having one, but for $1,000 I'd rather just use mapquest.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

I love to plan and routes at home on my computer. I select the roads I want to ride and when planned, I upload that to the GPS. I often just want to ride and I go where I havn't gone before. I don't have to worry because all I have to do is hit the Home button when I find myself completely lost!!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Red face I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey@Leader View Post
    Love all the discussions this topic brings up. To use a GPS or not to? Lots of arguments for both. Been riding my whole life and feel like having a GPS gives me more freedom. I am not one that enjoys wandering around lost.. too much stress, plus.....maps??? Still can't read one!!

So these are my REALLY good reason to have a GPS and some points on how to pick the right unit for you.

https://www.leadermotorcycle.com/blo...our-motorcycle

First, let me start off by saying I feel sorry for people who never get lost because there is a whole lot of this county they never get to see. Luckily, I'm a member of the Wandering Minstrels as my dear old mom used to call us. So I've seen more of the country than I intended. Now, as for using a GPS. I'm all in favor of it. When I brought my first GPS, the hardest thing I had to over come was getting used to blindly following the instructions of an electronic gizmo. I used to test it by plugging in a destination I already knew how to get to, and than following the directions of the GPS. Sometimes it would take me on a route I would not have followed, however it did get me where I wanted to go. So if I were a stranger in town, did the GPS pass? Of course.

But with my cell phone, I find myself using my GPS unit less and less. I used the WAZE app from the goggle app store and it has not let me down yet. At least it gets me where I want to go, and it's one less device I have to carry around. The down side to using my cell phone is the app draws more power then my adapter can replace so it's not really ideal for really long trips. So in that respect the GPS wins hands down since it's not using power for a whole slew of other things like my phone is doing. Of course if I know I'm going to be on the interstate for the next 100 miles, I'll turn my WAZE app off. Even I can't get lost traveling in a straight line.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default A safety tip

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO...............This is what I think is the best thing about the GPS.....even if you don't completely understand it......If you enter the address you are at NOW and you take off to parts unknown just riding around .......It will get you back to where you started by telling it to return to START for that trip or something similar.....................just a thought.......Mike
    Most, if not all GPS's will have a "take me home" feature, where you can enter in your home address as part of the units setting. No one should need a GPS that will take them to their front door. So I set my "home" address for our Sheriff's office. If I do get lost, I will use the Take Me Home feature to just get me back into familiar territory, to where I can say "Oh OK, I know where I am now". But if someone breaks into my vehicle while I'm at the mall and steals my GPS and use Take Me Home to go burgle my house, they are in for a surprise.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Default Your right

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Why wouldn't anyone think it's a good idea to have a GPS? For me, not having one in every vehicle I own is hard to imagine in this day and age - it's just second nature. It's sometimes feels odd to think that GPS has only been available to us since 1983 when President Reagan declassified the technology for public use.
    Until then, GPS was a technology reserved for the military. It's kind of neat how former military technology has made life easier after finding it's way into the civilian world.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Unhappy I never could understand that

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The answer depends on where you are.

I don't use one, never have--but that is just me.

My state has many uncharted areas. You can take road X and end up going off the face of a cliff if you blindly follow a GPS.

I never could understand how someone could be led out into the middle of nowhere and up in a life threatening situation because their GPS told them to take some dirt road out in the wilderness or the desert. If I'm following my GPS to take me somewhere and it tells me make a left onto some goat trail, I'm going to immediately suspect something is amiss. I'm not going to continue to blindly follow it into oblivion. And yet you occasionally read of this very thing happening. SMH
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Default $135 for GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one, but for $1,000 I'd rather just use mapquest.

Pam
    Waterproof and HIGHLY rated/reviewed by fellow spyderlover. Mine will be here on Monday. Don't have the link as I was not able to order from WA and had friend order from diff state. But a search should get you to the review discussion on GPS...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default I think it's amazing

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    It also lets me know how fast I am really going.
    I think it's amazing how, out of all the cars surrounding you on a busy street or highway the GPS can pick out your vehicle. Like you, I use my GPS a lot for finding locations right here in my home town. If I'm looking for a store, I plug in the address and let my GPS tells me how much further away it is. This lets me concentrate on my driving instead of looking left and right to make sure I don't pass my destination.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Default That's weird

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Waterproof and HIGHLY rated/reviewed by fellow spyderlover. Mine will be here on Monday. Don't have the link as I was not able to order from WA and had friend order from diff state. But a search should get you to the review discussion on GPS...

Why couldn't you order one from Washington?
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired