Thread: CAT BYPASS

Spyder Garage

Default CAT BYPASS

Thinking of installing the Cat Bypass on my F3, but would like some input on the pros and cons after the install.
    Last edited by Doug; 03-10-2016 at 08:30 AM.
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Bypass

Install is very easy, hate the sound.

Spyder Garage

Install the Big Thunder baffle that Lamonster sells with the bypass. The sound with the stock muffler is pretty good. Not obnoxious at all. Without the baffle it was a bit too much.

Performance improves as well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

After hearing several different combos at spyder fest last year I went with it and the stock muffler. Very pleased with the sound, not too loud on the open road but just enough to give it some attitude. Also was glad BRP could not get their add on pipe after hearing some I did not like it. And it was way less than half the BRP muffler. I would say go for it. Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go for it. I just put one with the baffle on my '14 RT. I left the stock muffler in place. It is a deeper tone than what I had before, but absolutely no interference with hearing the radio. It is not obnoxious. You will shave about 30 pounds off your spyder and also drop the heat underneath the seat. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to change out. Definitely go with the baffle.

Spyder Garage

I would like to install a bypass on my ST-S to get rid of the gas tank heater. My garage constantly has gasoline fume odor. My problem is the cost of the eliminator pipe, $400+ including shipping, way too expensive!!!! I put a stainless steel Cat-back dual exhaust system on my truck for just under $600, and that is a whole lot more pipe than the Spyder needs!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    I would like to install a bypass on my ST-S to get rid of the gas tank heater. My garage constantly has gasoline fume odor. My problem is the cost of the eliminator pipe, $400+ including shipping, way too expensive!!!! I put a stainless steel Cat-back dual exhaust system on my truck for just under $600, and that is a whole lot more pipe than the Spyder needs!!!!!
    I think the bypass is $300 plus shipping not $400.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Price is $320.00 USA plus FREE SHIPPING with in USA. Baffle is about $60.00 USA plus FREE SHIPPING within USA.
    Check with Lamonster Garage as I cannot find a Cat Delete pipe for the ST. The pipe in picture above is for 1330 RT
    Last edited by Marker; 03-10-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got mine just over two weeks ago. The bypass pipe and baffle came to around $388 plus tax since I live in Missouri and Lamont is in Missouri brought it up to $417 and some change. I think shipping was included in all of that. It was sitting at my door two days after I ordered it. I know it seems somewhat high for a piece of pipe, but it is very well made and fits perfect. Buy the baffle that goes inside it to help with back pressure and sound. It will definitely cut down on the heat. i went a year waffling about doing this and Ron's swaybar. I installed both last weekend and can say that it was money well spent.

Spyder Garage

This maybe a stupid question, are you guys using the muffler behind the bypass pipe with the baffle installed?
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Pit Bull has the V-twin pipe; pipe, 2 slip joint gaskets and shipping is $407.

Marker asked about the bypass pipe for the ST model, this is that info!
    Last edited by ingramwc; 03-12-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: To clear up purpose of info...
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

But sadly, that V-twin pipe etc won't fit on the OP's F3 that has the 1330 triple motor!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Thinking of installing the Cat Bypass on my F3, but would like some input on the pros and cons after the install.
    Installed the cat on my 2015 F3 SE, hated the sound and backfire with each shift. After 100 miles took it off, reinstalled the converter, sold the pipe for $200. I did not notice any major power or torque increase. From my experience save your money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpatsh View Post
    This maybe a stupid question, are you guys using the muffler behind the bypass pipe with the baffle installed?
    Yes, using it with the stock muffler in my case.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    Installed the cat on my 2015 F3 SE, hated the sound and backfire with each shift. After 100 miles took it off, reinstalled the converter, sold the pipe for $200. I did not notice any major power or torque increase. From my experience save your money.

With the big thunder baffle in place all the back fire and popping is gone, tone is much deeper and far less drone at speed. Still, sound is a subjective thing. Some will like and some will not. My F3 was far too quiet for its style when new.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    Go for it. I just put one with the baffle on my '14 RT. I left the stock muffler in place. It is a deeper tone than what I had before, but absolutely no interference with hearing the radio. It is not obnoxious. You will shave about 30 pounds off your spyder and also drop the heat underneath the seat. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to change out. Definitely go with the baffle.
    I may be wrong -wouldn't be the first time - but I believe the baffle is not needed on the RT. I believe it was designed to fix problems with the bypass on an F3. I can say first hand, that I have the cat bypass installed on my 2013 RT with no baffle, and the original OEM secondary muffler. The sound is great (deeper tone without any popping), and I am getting noticeably more horsepower in the lower gears, as well as noticeably less heat.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

The V twin pipe is more material and more labor cost to produce compared to the single bypass pipe for the 1330.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS